White privilege isn't real - Jordan Peterson

Page 10 of 20 [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 20  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 2:32 pm

They thought, for some reason, that I went into an apartment building to buy drugs. I was running....I wasn't about to step into an apartment building.

Crap happens.....

I've also been profiled in stores on days when I don't dress so great.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 2:42 pm

Oh okay, I see. My condolences.

Are the reasons for that because of race though? For example, I'm white but I thought that if I was in an area that the police had under surveillance and was looking to buy drug buying customers that they would want to ask for my ID and possibly search me as well, or I thought that if I dress down, I would probably not get as positive reactions if I dressed up.

I thought the same things would happen to me, and didn't think it would be because of race, but would it?

FlaminPika
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Feb 2021, 2:46 pm

"White privilege" is real, but the term sounds harsh and incendiary.

The left has coined many terms that evokes an immediate visceral negative reaction in people. "Toxic masculinity" is just one pertinent example of this, as is "mansplaining". These are very harsh terms. If you're of said group (white or male or whatever) you will feel attacked.

You can even see this in the Jordan Peterson video where he's visibly offended by the notion of white privilege and then reads off some bizarre superfluous list written by someone whom I'd assume is far left, which is pretty easy to criticize. It's bad optics and causes a very primal reaction in people.

So white liberals and leftists understand what these terms mean and are okay with them, but conservatives and many others will be immediately turned off and hostile to these incendiary terms. But you probably can't really win either way here. Rarely do I see the right concede to leftist talking points.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 2:50 pm

I'm white, but I am not offended by the term, I am just confused by it and have trouble seeing it. But I'm not offended and turned off. It's just I and people I know who are white, do not have as many privileges as other people and I know people who are more well off than me and more privileged who are not white.

So it just seems to me that it's all case by case, and I could not see it as a generalization based on my experience. So I am just confused by it, based on my experience, but didn't think I was offended.

toadsnail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2021, 3:04 pm

Yes, each case does have to be looked at separately, but looking at it only separately is a mistake. There are clear trends, and they're self-reinforcing. It's not that you can't find yourself on the more unlikely side of the trend, it's just... more unlikely. And that's what it's all about. "Level-playing field" and that kind of stuff.

Positive outcomes can't be guaranteed, but ideally society should at least try to make the likelihood of positive outcomes be as similar as possible for people with all the same relevant preconditions. Race is very very rarely an objectively relevant feature, so, accordingly, it should only very very rarely be treated as such. But that's not how it is, and that's the problem that needs to be addressed. It's very disheartening for anyone to get into anything (including "life" as a whole) knowing that their chances are not very good, through no fault of their own, and for no good reason.

Last edited by toadsnail on 22 Feb 2021, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 3:06 pm

ironpony wrote:
I'm white, but I am not offended by the term, I am just confused by it and have trouble seeing it. But I'm not offended and turned off. It's just I and people I know who are white, do not have as many privileges as other people and I know people who are more well off than me and more privileged who are not white.

So it just seems to me that it's all case by case, and I could not see it as a generalization based on my experience. So I am just confused by it, based on my experience, but didn't think I was offended.

Yeah I feel a similar way but I'm thinking that the phrase may possibly be something to do with the history of white people but it maybe just gets misused and therefore misunderstood.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 3:13 pm

toadsnail wrote:
Yes, each case does have to be looked at separately, but looking at it only separately is a mistake. There are clear trends, and they're self-reinforcing. It's not that you can't find yourself on the more unlikely side of the trend, it's just... more unlikely. And that's what it's all about. "Level-playing field" and that kind of stuff.

Positive outcomes can't be guaranteed, but ideally society should at least try to make the likelihood of positive outcomes be as similar as possible for people with all the same relevant preconditions. Race is very very rarely an objectively relevant feature, so, accordingly, it should only very very rarely be treated as such. But that's not how it is, and that's the problem that needs to be addressed. It's very disheartening for anyone to get into anything (including "life" as a whole) knowing that their chances are not very good, through no fault of their own, and for no good reason.

Oh okay, but why is it a mistake to tape it case by case? If we take as a general problem is there anyway to fix the problem really? I mean when it comes to hiring someone for a job for example, people have the right to hire anyone they want for their company, don't they? We can't mind control people.

Or another example is, sometimes women will ask me out, and I will reject them if I feel that maybe we are not compatable. But once in a while a woman will react to this by saying they are rejected based on their race. Now I am not rejecting them based on race, I just felt we were incompatable. I've accepted dates from other women who are not white, where I felt the compabiltiy was better, but some take the rejection as a racial thing.

Now of course I have the right to date who I want and no one can mind control me to date them if they feel I rejected them based on race.

So if we cannot mind control people to not have any free will to hire who they want, date who they want, etc. then how are we suppose to actually solve the problem? Therefore, isn't the only we can do is take it as case by case, instead of trying to take it as a generalization?

Last edited by ironpony on 22 Feb 2021, 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 3:13 pm

Yep....a case-by-case basis is the best.

I have, at times, been the recipient of "white privilege." Other times, no way! Most of the time, no way!

But...in places like Appalachia, where there are a lot of impoverished white folks, they would laugh in your face if you mention "white privilege" to their face.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 3:17 pm

I'm not going to "check my white privilege at the door"----that's for sure!

I'm not going to have someone tell me I'm "privileged"---when I'm not.

I am not going to take the blame for other people of European extraction oppressing people whose ancestry is other than European. I've never owned slaves, nor did I participate in giving smallpox and other diseases to Native Americans.

My mother is Jewish----but I'm not going to use the Holocaust as an excuse to be a jerk to people.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 3:18 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
They thought, for some reason, that I went into an apartment building to buy drugs. I was running....I wasn't about to step into an apartment building.

Crap happens.....

I've also been profiled in stores on days when I don't dress so great.

Me too, At A Mullet Festival in Niceville in 2019, i had Danced There Without
Incidence, With the Bands Entertaining The Festival, Ever Since 2013, For 7
Events. In Previous Years, They Welcomed me Back With Joy and Open Arms;

Yet, Not That Day in 2019, As i Was Stopped By 8 Cops Just Walking By
Me Telling me That Someone Said i was Packing Heat; No; There Was
Nothing in my Pockets; HeHE AT least nothing that suggested i wasn't

Happy to See them, then;

Perhaps it Was the Shape of
my SmART Phone; Maybe that
Was the Weapon i was carrying

That Day; Anyway, They Frisked me
In Front of the Crowd As Obviously

Someone From Trump Town Panhandle

Florida Didn't Like All the 'Liberal Colors'
i Was Wearing that Day; Later That Day

A Nice Young Mexican Couple; Yes,
A Couple of 'Legal Aliens' Brought

me a Towel To Wipe the Sweat
Off my Face; Nah, Ignorance

Doesn't Scare
me and it

Didn't Phase

me to Get all 'Felt Up'

Like that Hehe; i was no

Less or More Happy Than

Before or After They Did 'Their Job'...

Yet You See, i Wasn't Afraid Because
i Still Had 'White Privilege' That Day...

Yes it does

Make a Difference;

Yes it Does Make A

Difference in the Panhandle Still of Trump These Days...

They Canceled That Festival in 2020; Not Only For Covid-19;

Yet Just Forever More, For Waning Lack of Interest in Fall Festivals of 'Humans' to meet and greet each Other...

It's True, COVID-19 Was/Is the Same Kind of 'Nail in A Coffin' That it is Making Church Services Around the Country

Close too; Already Waning Participation; Just Another Nail in the Coffin of the Social Animal Human, Overall at

Least Now.... Now i'm

the (An) Only

One Who publicly

Dances When Bars

Are Closed; Yet it's

True, There Are Some

Folks Who Just Won't Let

the Music Stop For A Free Dance And Song of Life Now...

Rain, Sleet, Snow, Nor Masked in Deadly Pandemics With Safe Social

Distancing; i Was Already Doing that In Public Stores as to Not Mow

Folks Down Like at 244-Pounds-Eighteen-Wheeler-Leg-Pressing-Up-to-1520 Pounds

Still Now at 60; True Though, i Have Become Good Friends in the Balancing of Gravity in 'Tao'
FLoWinG Center Point Balance Now; It's Not that i Defy Gravity With all my Weight; Just FRiEnDS

(i Move in Such A Way of Balance That i Will become Motionless at Any Point of Dance At Will; Yes,
Helpful Not to Mow Anyone down who Gets too Close to All My Moving Spiral Parts of Free Dance)

With Gravity

In A way

Master

of i Am

On Land;

EYes All Over

my Body Indeed, 'The Child's Play'

Hehe, In Other Words, Baby Yoda iN LiGHT

at 50 Or 900 Years-Yoda Now (The Force) Ya

Just Get To Be Better FRiEnDS With Gravity/LiGHT/LoVinG

ALL Life In Balance With All Physical, Emotional, And Sensory

Reality of the Energy Around Ya, Above Ya, Below Ya; Yes,

Within, Inside, Yes Outside of Ya; Master of The All In All of Energy

We aRe; Do Colors, Shapes, Distance, Space, Time, Make Any Matter

WHeRE i Live

In Short(s), Hell No;

Only Heaven Breathes

Here in Autotelic Yoda Flow of Balance FOR REAL;

TRUE, THeRE ARE some Privileges again not Many

Folks 'EARN'....

Yes, Like
'Extraterrestrial
Privilege' That Really
Only Means We aRe

ALL The UNiVeRSE PLuS

iN Center Point Balance

All Autotelic Flow

Feeling Sensing

All Of Life

ThiS Way

And Not

Just

1, 2, or 3 Things in one...

Or An Illusion of Only 'Crude Matter'
Some Folks 'See/Create' And Pretend to Be...

Yes, Now We're TaLKinG REAL 'YODA Privilege' Hehe..;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 3:24 pm

babybird wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Yeah I feel a similar way but I'm thinking that the phrase may possibly be something to do with the history of white people but it maybe just gets misused and therefore misunderstood.

Well I understand that perhaps other races feel the white people have a bad history when it comes to persecution of other races. But I feel that every race has this problem. In Asia for example, there have been Asians taking over other Asians, if you look at WWII for example, where the Japanese wanted to take over other parts of Asia, and take over differenct races in those other parts, or even before then in other centuries.

In Africa, there has been wars going on between different races in Africa in history, such as the Hutus committing genocide against the Tutsis.

So I feel that every race has a history of waging persecution of violence against another race in their history, and I don't understand why people just seem to be bothered by white history of it.

Last edited by ironpony on 22 Feb 2021, 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 3:27 pm

I don't think a Tutsi would want to be called a "Tootsie" :wink:

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 3:33 pm

Sorry when I looked up how to spell it, I looked up the wrong one to spell. I corrected it. Sorry about that.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 3:35 pm

I got accused (by an Asian man) at work of being a racist. It wasn't that he accused me of being a racist that bothered me so much as I felt physically threatened by him. This was because of his manner and tone at the time of the accusation. It was quite out of the blue. Anyway he got called in and questioned about it and he said he was joking and the matter was dropped.

I felt no privilege as a white female and half his size when I was so scared to go in to work that I had to carry a baseball bat with me for protection. I also felt no privilege when I felt obliged to build a bridge with this vile human being just for the sake of my own safety and survival.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 3:39 pm

I wasn't really serious, Ironpony. No need to apologize!

The Tutsi were people who thought they were royalty....

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 3:43 pm

Oh okay. Well my example was that the Hutu race commited genocide against the Tutsi race, as just an example of how it's not just the white race that has tried to take over other races, but for some reason people only seem bothered by the white race doing it.