Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2020, 3:23 am

With the door to door types I have a standard response:
“I don’t want to be rude, or cause offence, but I have no interest in continuing this conversation, and would like it to end politely so I can get on with my day, and you can find someone more amenable to your overtures.”
Never had any aggro from that, although a couple have stamped back down the path without saying another word.
My mother-in-law is pretty full on that way: but she’s more of the “assume everyone agrees with me” type, so you don’t have to battle against continued conversion attempts.
My wife has deep faith, but is very “solitary contemplative” in how she does faith: she also regards pushing faith into others as a breach of basic manners, so the Christian/Atheist difference of outlook never comes up.

I think from the perspective of a friend trying to convert you they think they’re doing you the most helpful kindness they can, galling though it may be to sit through.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Feb 2020, 5:26 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
magz wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
Borromeo wrote:
To someone non-religious, any practicing religious person looks like a fanatic.

For me, that's really not the case. I actually know a lot of religious people who keep that side of their life to themselves (and non-religious ones who don't feel a need to pester others and mock their beliefs). It's more of a personal boundaries issue from where I'm standing :?

warrier120, there's no need to avoid all religious people, just those prone to this behaviour.

Thanks for naming it: Personal boundaries. I think this is the real issue with unwanted proselytism, either religious or secular.
Trying to force some belief (or non-belief) on someone is an invasion on a very personal, intimate space.

Yeah, I understand. IRL, my religious friends consider that part of their life to be very private and intimate and don't easily discuss it with either other religious or non-religious people.

Honestly, while I'm not religious, everything beyond "I'm agnostic" is rather intimate for me and I would would feel way too vulnerable discussing it with most people, theist and atheist alike. There are people I can discuss my beliefs with, some are religious and some not, the thing is their ability to respectfully listen and not going tribal about religious identity.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2020, 9:02 am

Oh Lord, 'i Love' being Evangelized!

Yes!

If 'God' Could have ever Gotten a Fair Lawyer, Trial, Judge, and Jury; the Bible; a Book of Free Verse Poetry Written by
Innumerable Ghost Authors; Copied Manually 'by Pen' With Mistakes and Changes Intentionally over Centuries by
Faceless Innumerable Scribes too; Yes, the Literal Interpretation of the Bible as the Literal 100 Percent Truth of God
As Whole, Would have Been Impeached Literally Ages ago.

But of course, 'in Group Think'; Group Think Rules in Circular Irrational Logic; this is clear; the Evidence is
a 'Snow Ball of Lies' With a 'Real Father of All Lies'; who touts His Ability to Shoot Someone on Fifth Avenue;
Insisting with confidence that He will do 'whatever the HELL' HE WANTS to and 'Evangelical Christians', his
Core Constituents, will 'Blindly Follow With Faith' as the Prophecy of the 'Minions' Series of Movies comes
True; as the practically assessed Most 'Despicable Leader' the United States has ever seen is still 'rabidly'
Followed by 85-Percent of my Local Community; that is Littered with Fear Mongering 'Romans 10:9'
Propaganda' taped to Public Bathroom Urinals that the End of the World is coming Soon and Sooner;
And if you don't Profess that 'our Quarterback' is an Only God Incarnate, Revived from the Dead'
You basically Go to Hell;
and are tortured forever;

No thanks; i don't Do Kool Aid; it's Just too 'Sweet For me'; Hehe, How anyone still now with
a 'Lick' of Sense Believes this is far beyond the Rationality of my mind; except for the fact
that their Mind works very differently than mine; which basically means they know not
what they do; they just follow the Group Think of OK i will do whatever the Current
Authority of the Tribe tells me i must do next; without Questioning the Sanity of it all.

Anyway; i Love a Challenge; and now that i no longer have to Work for pay; got all the patience
in the World for an Evangelical Fred-talk Back for Hours on, Practically Never Ending, if they have
the Breath (Love) i have left.

But Really 'the Debate' is rather easy when you turn their Literal Beliefs back on them;
it goes something like this:

God is Love; Right?

i am LoVE iNCarNaTE
Without a Stitch of Clothes;

Is there any thing left to Prove?

In other words, i just explained to them what the entire New Testament
says in the Metaphor of Free Verse Poetry by all those Innumerable Ghost Authors
and Scribes combining in a really chaotic way making a 'Real Stab' in the Dark to simply
say:

Love is the way.

After that point they last as long as they Last With me; and Never Get Past the Truth of my Love.

It Never Fails; Just return the Literal of Love Back to them; and end the discussion with i Love You.

And to the Op; if you stand this Tall with the Teachings of Jesus with eyes that are really Love; you will
have a Girl Friend at least forever now; at least if she breathes Love; if not; it's Just as well; as without Love
there
are
no
REAL Friends; Bottom Line; Love Rules Best When Real and Sincere; no matter where it comes from as Breath.

And when it is real
Love is surely
Worthy of
More than
a 3 Letter Word at Least 4 and so much more....

Those are the Flowers of Unconditional Love; The Colors You Paint; You Create; for/as a True Friend Next.

That Old Bible is truly a Bit Rusty; most all of us have the Potential to Love Greater; even John '14:12' says that's
true, along with the other Verse of John that says 'God is Love'; very rarely have i ever met a so-called Christian
in my Area who Understands what John 14:12 says and what it means that Just Thanks to a Stranger will fulfill it;
as that
is a stranger
that Jesus 'the Story Book Man'
never met that You become in Thanks Giving For Giving.

Every Evangelical's Greatest UKNOWN FEAR facing someone
With Asperger's Syndrome whose Special Interest is LOVE.

There is no Fear in Love.

If You Breathe Love Fear-Free Harming the Rest of Nature
Least You Breathe God; it doesn't take a 'Rocket Scientist'
to figure this out:

Just Being Human; Just Being Love; Therefore, Just Being God.

If A Person You are Speaking to is Love, they will understand;
If They Suffer From Self-Esteem Problems And Dominating someone
else fills their never filled space Within Empty of Love; they usually sadly
keep wandering in
'A very cold place'.

i know them;
but i do Pity them that
They do don't know/feel/sense DO
REAL Love as LiGHT Fear Free Now.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2020, 9:55 am

aghogday wrote:

You should stop that s**t. You wouldn't like it as well if somebody you just hoped to become a friend tries to forces you to become islamic and wants you to bump your head every day on the ground and makes you afraid of being rejected otherwise. That's what happened to her. Sorry but there is no difference if christian people are this way even if you are unable to get this just because of the limits of your brain. Surrounding such stuff by a lot of nonsense doesn't make it any better. For this please do never forget the KISS principle and Keep It Simply Short.

Last edited by quite an extreme on 29 Feb 2020, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2020, 10:01 am

quite an extreme wrote:
aghogday wrote:

You should stop that s**t. You wouldn't like it as well if somebody you just hoped to become a friend tries to forces you to become islamic and wants you to bump your head every day on the ground and makes you afraid of being rejected otherwise. That's what happened to her. Sorry but there is no difference if christian people are this way even if you are unable to get this just because of the limits of your brain. Surrounding such stuff by a lot of nonsense doesn't makes it any better. And please do never forget the KISS principle and Keep It Simply Short.

Thanks for backing me up there, QAE.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2020, 10:03 am

quite an extreme wrote:
aghogday wrote:

You should stop that s**t. You wouldn't like it as well if somebody you just hoped to become a friend tries to forces you to become islamic and wants you to bump your head every day on the ground and makes you afraid of being rejected otherwise. That's what happened to her. Sorry but there is no difference if christian people are this way even if you are unable to get this just because of the limits of your brain. Surrounding such stuff by a lot of nonsense doesn't makes it any better. Do never forget the KISS principle and Keep It Simply Short.

"God is Love; Right?

i am LoVE iNCarNaTE

Love is the way."

Dude; i'm 'a big boy'; i'm not afraid of conflict; or resolving conflicts
simple or complex; whatever it takes; and i for one enjoy a Challenge.

The World is Soft; as People grab for their 'Face Masks'. i Breathe Free and Do as i please with Love as well.

i don't do This 'Twitter World'; Just because i don't have to; i for one do more; Just Because i can and will.

'This is a place' for Monologues by Very Nature; When in Rome 'You Follow the unspoken rules'.

Thanks for the Reciprocal Social Communication; it's rather predictable here when it comes.

Again in Rome....

I have Acquaintances around the Globe with just about all the Religions one may imagine.

I have no problem there;

'They' Are opened minded and deep; not afraid of a deeper DIFFERENT opinion....

Some folks are like that 'here' too; you never really know
until you actually try to DO something DEEPER different 'in Rome' as well...

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2020, 10:13 am

aghogday wrote:
"God is Love; Right?

i am LoVE iNCarNaTE

Love is the way."

The World is Soft; as People grab for their 'Face Masks'. i Breathe Free and Do as i please with Love as well.

i don't do This 'Twitter World'; Just because i don't have to; i for one do more; Just Because i can and will.

'This is a place' for Monologues by Very Nature; When in Rome 'You Follow the unspoken rules'.

Thanks for the Reciprocal Social Communication; it's rather predictable here when it comes.

Again in Rome....

I have Acquaintances around the Globe with just about all the Religions one may imagine.

I have no problem there.

'They' Are opened minded and deep; not afraid of a deeper opinion....

I'm afraid I do not need this type of post to be filling up space in my thread.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2020, 10:23 am

warrier120 wrote:
aghogday wrote:
"God is Love; Right?

i am LoVE iNCarNaTE

Love is the way."

Again in Rome....

I have no problem there.

i acknowledge that you are afraid;
i find it surprising that anything i said was offensive.
Never the less, i surely will follow Your wish; as you wish..:)

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2020, 10:28 am

aghogday wrote:
warrier120 wrote:
aghogday wrote:
"God is Love; Right?

i am LoVE iNCarNaTE

Love is the way."

Again in Rome....

I have no problem there.

It's not offensive; I just think you're missing the point. The point is that I don't want to be converted.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2020, 10:40 am

warrier120 wrote:
aghogday wrote:
warrier120 wrote:
aghogday wrote:
"God is Love; Right?

i am LoVE iNCarNaTE

Love is the way."

Again in Rome....

I have no problem there.

It's not offensive; I just think you're missing the point. The point is that I don't want to be converted.

Perhaps you are missing my point too.

No one has converted me yet either; i am free.

This was Just my opinion; and Just What i would do, if i were in your shoes.

Obviously i am not in your shoes; but never the less it is just what i do; i surely wasn't trying to tell you
what you must do; just what works for me; the Other Dude Personally attacked me by suggesting my brain
was limited and how i should feel if i was in the same Circumstance; this is why it is advantageous to listen to
different; and yes, more potentially complex opinions; to grow; in that sense it's just a gift that may be ignored
or listened too; but really i am very surprised that a 'dissertation' on Love was found as offensive by anyone; but
surely not out of the realm of possibilities that i've already encountered here; People who evangelize me get on
my Nerves a whole lot; it's a challenge to face it and stand tall; i wasn't always that way; but hey; i'm old now;
the People who do that
rarely ever stay in my
Presence, and that's okay too;
i just tell them what i believe and they go their other way; Happy ending enough for me..:)

Peace...

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Feb 2020, 11:12 am

aghogday wrote:

Really? Do you enjoy Dawkins-like atheists enthusiastically sharing with you what they believe to be true?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2020, 11:15 am

magz wrote:
aghogday wrote:

Really? Do you enjoy Dawkins-like atheists enthusiastically sharing with you what they believe to be true?

Ahem;
the quotes
A R O U N D 'Love'
indicate a bit of
Sarcasm please note..;)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Feb 2020, 11:17 am

aghogday wrote:
magz wrote:
aghogday wrote:

Ahem;
the quotes
A R O U N D 'Love'
indicate a bit of
Sarcasm please note..;)

Nice that this has been clarified :)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2020, 11:29 am

magz wrote:
aghogday wrote:

Hehe; Now to explain in further detail of Clarification..;)

i Love a Challenge; 'God' Help Us Yes;
i'm not all about 'the Instant Gratification'.
Yes; i would Love the Challenge of Speaking to
Richard Dawkins personally for Hours Just to express
my Different Point of view; Just to continue
to be challenged
and make New
Brain Connections
that will be effectively
useful another day. i Have
a Love For Challenge; i don't even
mind a few drops of sweat, blood and tears
if that is part of the Whole Package of increasing my Human Potential.

i've never been in the Military; but my Aim is a different Boot Camp Every Day.

Humans are not evolved for Instant Gratification; they are evolved for Struggle;
Adaptation; Positive Epigenetic Unpacking of Human DNA Potential to arise to survive another Break of Morning.

It's what i do; it's why i am here; i expect to be uncomfortable in some places i go; and thrive even greater another
morning for it.

i look to 'Other' Nature for my Answers; Other Animals are not Soft and Domesticated; they are Wild, Feral, and
Generally 'Speaking' if Social Animals Loving Free;

But Again; This works for me; obviously Not Everyone is born and bred to do it; as i damn sure wasn't bred that
way by this Culture until i looked to Nature and found the answers that work for me Individually Now; i Love
a Challenge; i find it surprising this is so hard for some folks to understand; but Science Suggests the Human
Species is devolving in many ways in one lifetime of Negative Epigenetic Change; even the density of their bones.

Pretty much every thing i do in Life is backed up by Research in Science; i do not specialize; so i have broad
areas of interest to feed off of; i often explore and find my own answers; only to find research in Science
Affirms it many Years later; i believe that is what the Curious Mind does that continues a life of Wonder..:)

Folks in My Local Community are 'Radically Ignorant'; to the Point i've had 'Evangelicals' come up to me
While i Free Dance Listening to Music Reading a Book On Yoga at Barnes and Noble Just for Fun; warning me
That i am Summoning Demons by doing Yoga; i've had the Same issue with Folks Online as well; in turn they
get ALL My Special Asperger's Monologue Interest on Yoga for as long as they have the Patience
to listen to my Dissertation on that; are they listening to anything i have to say; Highly
Unlikely; Hell No; but it's Just practice giving a Lecture on Yoga to a 'Captive Audience'; hehe..;)

'When the World is Running Down'; in Words of the Great Philosopher Group 'the Police'; way
back from the 1980's; You make the best of what's Still around; if only in Your Own mind if that is what it takes..;)

i used to be 'The Canary in the Coal Mine' another Song by 'that Group'; i breathe out of the Mine; and i ain't going back..;)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2020, 7:53 pm

I learned early to never tell them you were sprinkled, not immersed.They go nuts trying to get you baptized by dunking in water.Apparently you will toast in Hell without it.Their version of an asbestos coating.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2020, 12:46 am

Misslizard wrote:
I learned early to never tell them you were sprinkled, not immersed.They go nuts trying to get you baptized by dunking in water.Apparently you will toast in Hell without it.Their version of an asbestos coating.

i can relate; when our Child Was Born with so many Problems and obviously not Likely going to survive for very
Long, unless some kind of Miracle Happened; somehow, a Deacon from the Catholic Church i had not attended
for 7 Years, found Our Hospital Room Number Telling me he had the Authority to Say the Baby was never gonna
get to Heaven, unless He came and sprinkled some water on his head; let's put it this way; that was the
Least of my Worries; or the Baby's Worries for that Matter too; Ignorance is Ignorance still Ignorance
As Science Shows Humans Are Not Rational First; Almost
everything Points
to that fact
of Human
Reality Now;
pretty much a 3 Ring 'Orange' Circus;
Yeah; that Sticks in my Mind 'Little Man
Dude' saying He has the Authority to tell
Babies Where to Go after they Suffer and Die if
they do not comply With His 'Imaginary' Authority Over Them.
Humans Dream up Incredibly Horrible Nightmares and do their best to Spread them into Reality now.

Ain't Drinking none of their 'Cult-Aid'...