Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

31 Jul 2010, 12:31 pm

I also have a problem with my brain not wanting to shut off.
This is what I do.

close your eyes and imagine a train and put all your thoughts on that train, then imagine the train with your thought speeding off with your thoughts at top speed. Dont stop the train image until your mind is empty and clear.

It works very well for me.

Jojo

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 12:46 pm

jojobean wrote:
I also have a problem with my brain not wanting to shut off.
This is what I do.

close your eyes and imagine a train and put all your thoughts on that train, then imagine the train with your thought speeding off with your thoughts at top speed. Dont stop the train image until your mind is empty and clear.

It works very well for me.

Jojo

My problem is when my brain won't shut off I usually don't want it to shut off because I'm worried about feeling empty/depressed from not having enough to distract my mind from the negative emotions. It's really ironic that this happens at 2-3 am when I really need sleep because I end up being much more depressed and irritable the next day and the process repeats the next night.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 12:55 pm

I've had six full neuropsychological evaluations. I was Dx-ed with Borderline PD on the first one I had at 23. BPD is less commonly Dx-ed in males, but obviously the psychologists who tested me felt I met the Dx criteria.

I was Dx-ed with Schizotypal personality disorder on the next four evaluations and Schizoid PD (with schizotypal and avoidant features) on my own most recent evaluation about a month ago.

I've always believed I exhibit many characteristics of both schizotypal and schizoid, so I think these Dx-es were more or less accurate. I don't think I exhibit many which are associated with BPD, but for whatever reason, I received that Dx on my first evaluation.

I'm guessing it had much, if not everything, to do with my answers on the particular MMPI I took during the first eval.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 1:16 pm

willywho wrote:
Do aspies like us think that normal human beings in general are from like a foreign planet? And also do you guys ruminate?

yes and yes. this obsessive nature of thought is where the special interests come from, but i think it's the same place - the need to perseverate over things - that a lot of negative thoughts and anxiety can come from. one "therapy" for aspies that i keep reading is encouragement to devote blocks of time to indulgence in special interests. so let your brain run rampant instead of fighting it, just give it positive things to do.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 2:02 pm

Horus wrote:
I've always believed I exhibit many characteristics of both schizotypal and schizoid, so I think these Dx-es were more or less accurate. I don't think I exhibit many which are associated with BPD, but for whatever reason, I received that Dx on my first evaluation.

I'm guessing it had much, if not everything, to do with my answers on the particular MMPI I took during the first eval.

I wonder about those tests. I also took one with 150 true or false questions and scored above the "high" cutoff for BPD, Avoidant PD, and depression (of course). Yet on a lot of the questions I felt like I had to answer "true" where the desription described how I felt, yet it didn't always seem like I fit the assumptions the test was making about "why" I feel the way I do. I almost wanted to write in qualifiers but you can't do that on such a test.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 2:21 pm

marshall wrote:
Horus wrote:

I wonder about those tests. I also took one with 150 true or false questions and scored above the "high" cutoff for BPD, Avoidant PD, and depression (of course). Yet on a lot of the questions I felt like I had to answer "true" where the desription described how I felt, yet it didn't always seem like I fit the assumptions the test was making about "why" I feel the way I do. I almost wanted to write in qualifiers but you can't do that on such a test.

Yes AFAIK, you can't write in qualifiers on the MMPI. You CAN, however, leave up to 10 answers blank. Any blank answers beyond that will invalidate the test. Personally I think the MMPI is essentially worthless. You are forced to give a bunch of abitrary answers to questions which often don't have black/white true and false answers.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 8:24 pm

Agreed. I didn't like the MMPI, either. They got my personality mostly right; but there are so many reasons they might've come up with what they did--people with answers identical to mine could be quite different from me.

There's another, more unfortunate, link between autism and borderline personality: The risk of misdiagnosis. Specifically, women who have autism but not BPD may easily have some traits that mimic BPD, and be misdiagnosed.

Meltdowns can mimic BPD mood swings.
Self-injury is present among both groups.
Desperately trying to keep relationships can be the result of BPD fear of abandonment... or the result of autism's poor social skills.
Autism and BPD can both involve dissociation; autism during shutdowns or due to a sensory disconnect with one's body; BPD with the regular depersonalization/derealization they describe in the psych textbooks.
Both groups are prone to depression, BPD because of their poor self-regulation, autism because they face prejudice, both because of high rates of abuse.

I had a BPD misdiagnosis several years ago, and was given medication I didn't need and group therapy that didn't help. I have in fact a very strong, self-contained identity, and don't have emotional dysregulation issues, only problems inhibiting emotional expression--the emotions themselves aren't out of proportion. I'm also a stable introvert, can be happy on my own, and spend most of my time alone. Currently, my therapists can't believe I ever had a BPD diagnosis... In the long term, though, I think it's been a good experience for me, because it exposed me to the way BPD patients are often stereotyped and mistreated, assumed to be immature and unreliable children rather than adults... I think this is completely unacceptable, and the psychology profession needs to shape up and treat them like worthwhile individuals, because that's what they are.

So, yeah, there's the misdiagnosis issue. People don't jump to autism when a woman comes into an emergency room mid-shutdown with self-injury scars--they think "borderline" and put that on her record.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

grendel
Toucan
Toucan

18 Aug 2010, 6:57 pm

Yeah... before I found out about Asperger's I did wonder a few times if I had Borderline Personality Disorder. But I think it was a combination of my Aspergers and the fact that I was really depressed (better now).

Re: the shutting off the brain thing. I have used this technique since I was a little kid (success rate is not 100% but it helps a lot). The biggest problem is when I'm lying in bed trying to fall asleep (if it happens during the day, it's better to do some activity that interferes with the brain cycling). Anyway, so when I am laying in bed what I do is mentally visualize what looks like a TV screen with static on it (the black and white "snow" like if a channel is not coming in at all). I just fill up my entire mental space with that image. This probably works better if you are a visual person, for me the intrusive thoughts are kind of like, as long as we're on TV analogy, constantly flipping images at extremely high speed as the thoughts lead from one to the next). Just keep refocusing on the static and let it block out everything else. If I can maintain this, it generally helps me get to sleep.

If it's something really pressing and specific that has to be addressed, I might have to get up and write it down. However, I try to avoid that if it's late at night because the writing it down could go on for hours depending on what it is.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Oct 2010, 7:16 am

I was diagnosed with BPD along with many other things. I wasn't officially diagnosed with AS but I'm almost positive I have that because i fit most all the major characteristics of it. I suspect that some of the people here who are diagnosed with BPD may not really have it. Thinking in black & white seems more common with people who have AS than typical NTs who don't have BPD. Having meltdowns is very common with AS & it's possible that an Aspie's meltdowns could be mistaken for Borderline personality. It's possible a lot of the Borderline symptoms could be temporary & caused by things going on in the Aspie's life. I was suffering a sever(probably psychotic) depression during the time I was diagnosed with BPD. I was going true a very difficult time with something & was very confused & lost. When my depression left; I quit having a lot of the BPD symptoms or they became much less sever at least. I doubt I would be diagnosed with BPD rite now if I were to see a new doc & get tested. I've been much more stable for the last few years than I was. I think part of it was because I was(& still am) very behind with maturity than most people but I did some maturing & growing up. It's not uncommon for Apsie's to be behind with maturity & being immature could make a person appear to have some BPD symptoms. Imagine a 13year-old kid who's going true their 1st relationship & it's very serous & they are having relationship problems; lots of people would not think it's abnormal for the kid to be having lots of emotional & other problems because of it. Now imagine an adult in there 20s who's having the same problems as that kid; they would appear to have Borderline Personality but what if the adult is in their 1st relationship & the person is very immature & behind because of AS/autism. Does the person really have BPD or is it just a phase that the person will grow from? Sometimes the professionals just look at the symptoms instead of looking at the bigger picture. That's what happened with me witch is why I used it as an example

Bob550
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Oct 2010, 9:03 pm

I have been diagnosed with Bipolar and almost positive I'm also AS.

lalala
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Oct 2010, 10:09 am

when i try to turn my brain off i just make whatever i'm thinking of slow down, i imagine it in slow-motion, getting slower, until the thought disappears.
this is how i get to sleep, otherwise i wouldn't sleep at all.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 12:25 pm

I've been diagnosed with both. Some days I just think, 'ok I've got this thing, just got to live with it' and other days I am so agitated that I want to scream in my psychologist's face that he's lying. By doing this though I am proving I have BPD. As someone else said, I wouldn't wish this condition on anyone as it is a constant struggle for me. I never know when my mood is going to change because it happens so quickly. I am sometimes frightened of myself. I think the reason I hate the diagnosis so much is because of it's association with sleeping around which I have never done. That's what the very few people who know about the condition think it is. I tend to keep my BPD a secret whereas I am very open about my AS, however this is mainly because society still has a long way to go before they accept people with mental illnesses.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 4:00 pm

i think there is a great deal of overlap between the conditions, to be honest. i read that women are often misdiagnosed as BPD before ASD is discovered. i was informalled DXed with AS, then formally DXed with BPD (which is now looking like a misdiagnosis).

even just reading over a variety of threads here on WP, you can get a sense that aspies often have a few of the stereotypically BPD characteristics. on WP, people discuss self-harm, drug use, sexual extremes, suicidal tendencies, and meltdowns. and you can observe people behaving impulsively, reacting histrionically or with violent anger, mistrusting others, showing black & white thinking, idolozing people, being uncertain of their identity etc...

i think it is also possible to have both, because BPD is sort of exacerbated or caused by childhood conditions, and AS is inborn. since they have a different source, there is no reason why they couldn't be comorbid.

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 1:13 pm

Callista wrote:
can be happy on my own, and spend most of my time alone.

Please tell me, why does this mean that you do not have BPD?

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 1:15 pm

grendel wrote:
TV screen with static on it (the black and white "snow" like if a channel is not coming in at all).

Also known as "white noise". :)

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 1:28 pm

willywho wrote:
I am 20 years old and in college. I was diagnosed with functional AS in my freshman year of HS, and it was actually a pretty textbook diagnosis. When I was a lil kid, I would always arrange the stuffed animals on my bed and sort them in patterns, I was highly avoidant, socially and even certain family members. I kept to myself and my interests (which were vast and many involved collecting wierd things like rocks and pens). I, like many had a vast number of interests that I pick up quickly but somehow I always gave them up halfway through. Consequently I was teased all throughout middle school. It was only in high school that I quickly learnt that being social and being accepted in a clique was of utmost importance and thus making new friends became my new 'hobby'. I obviously tried to conceal the fact that I was socially awkward from the get go and 14 years of being a loner didnt help either. Suffice to say I failed miserably for 2 years. I felt that it was ridiculously hard for me to relate to anyone. Also, being gay (I am still not completely out) just made everything so much worse (and by worse I mean a living hell). Such a seemingly unobtainable 'status' (to me at least) quickly turned into an obsession, and I tried everything from switching out my whole wardrobe to getting a new hairstyle, the list goes on. Well, I didnt fail entirely, I made some friends but I felt like I could only manage one. When I turned 18, I went to the clubs frequently to try to find a partner or some form of companionship, however I felt like a big oxymoron because I was so used to being alone when I was younger but this time it was sheer obsession that kept me doing what I did. During this time I was highly distraught, I lost my sense of self and became extremely volatile. So this is where I think my BPD came into play.

About 8 months ago, I got a new psych, and I told him about all that was happening in my life (utter chaos). He was also made aware of my AS. To my suprise (actually not so much because I had been reading about BPD before and I was pretty sure I fit most of the criteria for it), he said I could be borderline. When we went over some of the symptoms of BPD, I fit every single criteria listed in the DSM-IV, to a tee. I know that while some similarities exist, the defining traits of AS are antagonistic to the symptoms of BPD. Does anyone here have a story similar to mine or think they have BPD? (You shouldnt self diagnose or come to any premature conclusions but Im sure just like me youve done some googling).

Anyways, BPD *IS* a living hell and I dont really wanna talk about dealing with it, because I cant. So now I have both AS and BPD, or do you think the BPD took over my AS? Because right now I dont know who I am, at all. :(

I am not diagnosed with anything, although I have come to believe that I have AS (despite not having a few of the symptoms). I also consider myself to have BPD, and I believe this to be a lot more accurate. I fit nearly all of the criteria and find these problems to be a major daily struggle. However, for me, I started to develop these symptoms around about between age 14 - 16, 11 being the age my depression started.

And, I'm also gay which I have never been happy with or felt comfortable with. I feel like it's another major player in causing me to not feel like I have a place in this world. These are 3 major causes of depression and we do so well to cope with them. Also, depression is suffered on both sides of my family a lot. And anxiety on one side as well. I started having anxiety issues around 3 years old. I currently receive no treatment whatsoever, as I have never told any medical professional any of my problems. I think my obsessive, AS investigative analysing is what keeps me hanging on.....by a thread.