Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

nirrti_1
Raven
Raven

08 Jul 2005, 12:10 am

aaronkt wrote:
nirrti wrote:
When I was in college, I didn't have many sororities to choose from being as the ones with white members unofficially wouldn't let black girls into their sorority. I could pledge but good luck in getting an actual offer. The five or six African-American sororities didn't favor girls not fitting the stereotype of the loud, outgoing and partying sister and some of them were plain stuck up. Plus because of some archain state law, sororities weren't allowed to have houses due to them being possible "bordellos". :roll: So I didn't see too many benefits to paying 350-500 dollars a semester just to socialize.

I remembered when the AKAs had a step show and I sat down in the only empty spot I could find. Turns out it was reserved for one of their members and they told me to move. I could overhear them saying, "Did you see that girl, what she think she doing?" I dislike Greek organizations as a whole. They're just another form of separating the in-crowd from the lower caste.

I've been in a similar situation. That's why I'm not too wild with Greeks. Which school do you go to? I know Auburn University has the same rule where no sororities houses are allowed for fear they may be used as prostitute houses.

I graduated from the University of Memphis in Memphis, TN. I think that law is a southern thing, with all these Bible Belt, conservative parents who pay for their kids' education, making sure their "little girls" don't get in "trouble".