Page 2 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 11:36 am

Fnord wrote:
Frances,

My brothers have criminal records, and I was often rounded up with them for questioning just because we happened to be related.

I was also tasked in the Navy with transporting criminal offenders from the municipal jails to the brig on base, and NONE of those pigs deserved any "kinder and gentler" treatment; not only did they disgrace the uniforms they were wearing, but they never seem to grasp the concept that (1) they had just broken the law, and (2) they had just ruined any chances for a promotion or an Honorable Discharge until I had signed them over to the MAAs. Not to mention the verbal abuse they heaped upon me for being a "Goody-goody suck-up sailor", simply because I stayed out of trouble and followed orders.

You should have seen them turn into whimpering cowards once the Chief Master-At-Arms got a-hold of them. Some even wet and/or soiled themselves the moment that they realized that this was Serious Business and that they were about to go through a regimen that makes boot camp look like a four-year-old's birthday party.

Crime is serious business, and criminals should not be coddled.

Exactly. I have a criminal record too. Most of my friends do as well. You can sort of tell who is and who isn't. Prisons work. I have not hurt people and let s**t go because I didn't want to go to prison.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 12:05 pm

I've been making an argument for social justice, and it's really telling that certain people manage to completely completely fail to absorb the key points.
I guess you've got to expect obtuseness with people whose job is reiterating talking points.

I really wish certain people wouldn't troll, or try to rid the place of ideological heresy's, or whatever it is they do here all day.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 12:45 pm

Stannis wrote:
I've been making an argument for social justice, and it's really telling that certain people manage to completely completely fail to absorb the key points.
I guess that's bound to happen when people are reiterating talking points.

I really wish certain people wouldn't troll, or try to rid the place of ideological heresy's, or whatever it is they do here all day.

I don't think it's trolling, but profound disagreement.

For what it's worth, I thought the OP was crazy.

Justice is an abstract concept, but you are describing the legal system. These are not the same thing.

A sense of fairness has a deep biological basis and can be observed in other species. Justice is essential a systematized version of the idea of fairness. What constitutes injustice? What is an ethical societal response to individual and corporate injustice?

When is forced restitution an ethical response to injustice? When is retribution an ethical response to injustice?

These are complicated questions and the argument you have been presenting does not address them. Some of the premises in the OP are deeply flawed. Pointing this out or addressing details of some of the issues entailed in this argument (as Fnord did above) is not trolling.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 1:39 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Do any of the people who are talking about giving criminals a kinder and gentler sentence or whatever actually know any criminals?

I used to drive a school bus. One of the students who was a 5th grader at the time and his older brother later stole a car and then murdered someone who tried to help them when the stolen car broke down. They were both executed by the State of Texas.

I also knew someone who had his brother kill his wife when they were separated and in the process of getting a divorce. I met the brother on only one occasion. The brother committed suicide in jail waiting for the trial to start and the one I knew was found not guilty because, according to a jury member, the jury didn't feel that the prosecution proved the case.

A few years ago, a pair of twins that were pretty much abandoned by their mother spent their high school years living in the living area above my office. They were fairly friendly, but I quickly learned not to trust them. Since then, they have both spent several periods of time in jail and both have spent two or three years in Texas prisons.

One of them was arrested for drugs in Oklahoma a few years ago. He spent a bit less than a couple of months in jail waiting trial before my brother bailed him out. This was his first stay in jail. He told me that the worst part about it was the food. Later, after his trial, he received a sentence that resulted in him spending about five more days in the jail. When he got out that time, he said that the food was much better. Since he had been sentenced, they made him a trustee and the trustees were allowed to go out of the jail to eat at a local pizza place. I told him that he had found his perfect job -- that nowhere else was he ever going to be promoted like that after only two months on the job.

Also, one of my nearest neighbors growing up (keep in mind that the community only has about 70 people in it) spent a very long time in an Oklahoma prison. I have never been convinced that he was guilty of anything. He worked at a small flower shop and was convicted of embezzling approximately $150,000 over two years. I do not believe for a second that anyone could embezzle that much money from such a small flower shop for two years without it being noticed really quick.

There were reports that the owner would regularly walk into the store, take money out of the cash register for his own expenses, and leave. I really believe that the owner of the shop was the real thief. The district attorney was a good friend of the owner of the flower shop and was only too happy to blame the employee.

At the trial, the prosecutor told the jury that they had to sentence him to consecutive sentences on the charges and the jury was stupid enough to believe him. Whenever he would come up fro parole, the prosecutor made sure to show up to the parole board and oppose parole for the good of the community. Once that prosecutor retired and a new prosecutor replaced him was, the new prosecutor recommended that he be paroled and he was.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 1:50 pm

Nobody is talking about coddling prisoners.

Here is a very interesting article about a Federal prison with a warden who insisted that the prisoners be treated properly from http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/95nov/prisons/prisons.htm:

Quote:
Yet McKean, by several measures, may well be the most successful medium-security prison in the country. Badly overcrowded, housing a growing number of violent criminals, it costs taxpayers approximately $15,370 a year for each inmate. That is below the average for prisons of its type, and far below the overall federal average of $21,350. It is about two thirds of what many state prisons cost. And the incident record since McKean opened, in 1989, reads like a blank slate: No escapes. No homicides. No sexual assaults. No suicides. In six years there have been three serious assaults on staff members and six recorded assaults on inmates. State prisons of comparable size often see that many assaults in a single week. The American Correctional Society has given McKean one of its highest possible ratings. No recidivism studies have been conducted on its former inmates, but senior staff members claim that McKean parolees return to prison far less often than those from other institutions, and a local parole officer agrees. According to the Princeton University criminologist John DiIulio, "McKean is probably the best-managed prison in the country. And that has everything to do with a warden named Dennis Luther."

Dennis Luther is a slim man of fifty with thinning brown hair and wide, curious eyes. He retired last July, after sixteen years as a warden. He dresses neatly in a jacket, a tie, and tasseled loafers, more like an English professor than a prison administrator. His movements are slow and deliberate, and his voice has an uncanny steadiness to it. He is not a large man, but it is easy to imagine him walking unarmed into the center of a prison riot and asking calmly to speak to the leaders. As a young man, Luther considered going into the ministry. He chose corrections instead, and soon came to believe that American prisons were unnecessarily brutal places, more likely to teach hatred and violence than remorse. But, he says, that insight did not lead him to a liberal philosophy of inmate rehabilitation. Instead he read up on business management. He saw no reason why ideas that had worked in the private sector could not be applied to prisons, to make them more cost-effective and more humane. What he came up with was a systematic approach to building something he calls "prison culture." All prisons, according to Luther, have a culture of some sort, but it is generally violent and abusive, based on gangs. Prison staffs are aware of this culture, but they are helpless to change it.

In some respects McKean is stricter than other prisons, because inmates are held to higher standards. Three years ago, after a few minor incidents, Luther imposed a condition known as "closed" movement, restricting inmates' activity during evening hours. The condition was meant to be permanent. A group of inmates asked him if he would restore "open" movement if the prison was incident-free for a period of ninety days. He agreed, and the prison has run on open movement ever since. Many McKean inmates will also say that they do not carry "shanks"--homemade knives or blades--because they don't need them. The McKean staff takes weapons very seriously, and inmates found with them will be prosecuted and put in isolation.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 2:05 pm

Premise 1: criminality is something that comes from poverty, negative upbringing, warped social norms, and unjust laws.

Comment: While these factors may sometimes contribute to criminality, these are not an exhaustive list, nor are they sufficient explanation for the decision to commit crime, in many cases.

Premise 2: Justice is identical to the punitive aspect of the legal system.

Comment: This is false.

Premise 3: Crimes are often victimless, and really not the fault of criminals to begin with.

Comment: This is false.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 2:08 pm

Oh dear sweet Jesus. "I smoked a joint once" or "I once knew somebody who did this".

You don't get it. You were not THOSE PEOPLE. I was one of THOSE PEOPLE. I still am from time to time.

There is nothing more I can contribute here. Whine away on behalf of the hard hitters, please.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 2:24 pm

Adamantium wrote:

A sense of fairness has a deep biological basis and can be observed in other species. Justice is essential a systematized version of the idea of fairness. What constitutes injustice? What is an ethical societal response to individual and corporate injustice?

I'll try to clarify what i've been trying to say. The Justice system is cult like in various ways. The courthouse looks like an ancient Athenian temple, Often there is a statue of the personification of justice, Themis, standing in front. The Judge and lawyers are like Oracles, Prophets, or the Pope. They are acting as the conduit between the god, and the public, telling us the will of Justice. They even wear ceremonial vestments. Furthermore, the Judge sits on a seat not unlike a throne, such as a priest might sit upon. The public see this and they subconsciously behave as if the pronouncements of the courthouse come from the god, and they therefore have faith in them.

Unfortunately, the justice system is often corrupt, and usually functions to protect the minority of the opulent against the majority. It therefore requires some correction that is hindered by subconscious religious veneration of the institution.

Free from the religious mindset I've described, society might get over the compulsion generally of always needing to punish. This does not mean that I am suggesting that society would never need to punish people, just that it may feel the need to do so less often, because we would hopefully be dealing more often with the causes of crime.

On another subject, Olive Oil, the "reefer" comment was intended to convey the point that when you make blanket statements about criminals being this and that, you are unwittingly including people whose crime was something like smoking a reefer in the wrong state, when I'm sure you're only talking about the kind of criminals who kill people and rob banks and so forth.

Last edited by Stannis on 21 Jan 2014, 9:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 2:29 pm

Stannis wrote:
Adamantium wrote:

I'll try to clarify what i've been trying to say. The Justice system is cult like in various ways. The courthouse looks like an ancient Athenian temple, and often there is a statue of the personification of justice, Themis standing in front. The Judge and lawyers are like Oracles, Prophets, or the Pope. They are acting as the conduit between the god, and the public, telling us the will of Justice. They even wear ceremonial vestments. Furthermore, the Judge sits on a seat not unlike a throne, such as a priest might sit upon. The public see this and they subconsciously behave as if the pronouncements of the courthouse come from the god, and they therefore have faith in them.

Unfortunately, the justice system is often corrupt, and usually functions to protect the minority of the opulent against the majority. It therefore requires some correction that is hindered by subconscious religious veneration of the institution.

Free from the mindset I've described, society might get over the compulsion generally of always needing to punish. This does not mean that I am suggesting that society would never need to punish people, just that it may have to do so less often.

The courthouse in my town don't look like that. It looks like a big brick courthouse. We have a statue of a Confederate soldier out front. Judge Billy does sit up higher, but our courtroom looks exactly like the one in To Kill A Mockingbird. It even has the upstairs choir loft area. Nobody wears vestments. Our Judge wears pants and a shirt, sometimes a robe if it's like a big court day or something. Sometimes the lawyers wear suits, mostly they just wear pants and a shirt though. Our judge greets everybody by name when they come before him on court days and asks how they are and all. We say hey then he does his job. Although we do have a bell tower in it for some reason and a carrillion. On the hour it plays "How Great Thou Art". It sounds absolutely beautiful.

wetsail
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jan 2014, 2:44 pm

Stannis wrote:
Justice is bad

You're asserting that "justice" is a synonym for "revenge" - it may very well be, in the United States, but in the world at large punitive forms of justice are anything but a constant.

"Justice" inherently means "fairness," the idea that one gets what is coming to them. You have done wrong, you did something bad, you receive Justice, because that's Fair.

But is locking someone away for a decade a Fair and Just punishment? Sometimes, sure. There are unrepentant murderers like James Holmes of the Aurora Dark Knight shootings who will likely profit little from any other kind of punishment, but I'd say individuals like Holmes are outliers, statistical anomalies. Prison (and, by extension, the death penalty) are a simple removal of the "bad" element from society, placing it somewhere far away where most folks can forget about it. You don't improve the lot of criminals or society as a whole simply by tossing them aside, and criminals don't learn to be better in prison - if recidivism rates prove anything, it's that people in prison actually learn to be worse, because you're forcing them to hang around the worst elements of society, and no one cares enough to help.

Most people facing punishment at the hands of justice could do far better without our revenge-oriented mindset - it is Fair and Just to determine what caused these individuals to deviate from the law, and then to remedy that. Why did this person rob a liquor store? Are they poor? Do they need a job? Did they not hurt anyone? Slap an ankle bracelet on them, force them into a work-study / work-placement program, and keep them under house arrest for a year when they're not out doing court-approved activities. If you place them in a positive environment with a real legitimate (and expected) chance of self-improvement, most people will rise to the challenge and become productive citizens.

And if they don't? Hey, you've still got prison.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 2:56 pm

Revenge ain't a bad thing. Here is the best example I've ever seen of revenge. OK, first off, Dolly Parton had an affair with and was in love with Porter Wagoner back when he had his tv show and he was on it. She wrote this song for him after he dumped her. Then she became rich and famous and nobody hardly knows who he is. She sang this on stage to him. This is GREAT!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzQ9j_Ek1ro[/youtube]

wetsail

21 Jan 2014, 3:41 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Revenge ain't a bad thing.

It can be alright if you're making a tongue-in-cheek joke or doing something that's fun for you, but essentially harmless.

It can be bad if you're throwing another human being's life away because it's easier for you than thinking of how to help them mesh with society better.

Any guesses which one of these is our justice system, at present?

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 4:19 pm

Stannis wrote:
On another subject, Olive Oil, the "reefer" comment was intended to convey the point that when you make blanket statements about criminals being this and that, you are unwittingly including people whose crime was something like smoking a reefer in the wrong state, when I'm sure you're only talking about the kind of criminals who kill people and rob banks and so forth.

But the problem with your presentation of this "corrective" view of the justice system is that you seem only to talk about the kind of criminals who jaywalk, or have a little toke, when there are people who kill people and rob banks and so forth...

Justice was deified in ancient Greece and Rome because that's how they rolled. You have an abstract idea and notice that the consensus is that it's important to the civitas, BANG you have a god. God of the hearth, God of erections, God of snow, God of whimsy...

Why do we have forms that derive from those classical Greeks and Romans?

Because they did a damn good job of making those ideas stick and building them into impressive architecture. When the Renaissance thinkers were cooking up the seeds of modernity out of the remnants of the classical past, the triumphs of their Arab contemporaries and the proto-scientific thinking of their neo-Platonic alchemists and astronomer/astrologers, they found the deified civic ideals of the ancients inspiring. Is there something wrong with that?

As a societal enterprise, the justice system is complicated. Can such a system be perfect? It's made and operated by people, so: no. Will various factions manipulate the system to political and personal advantage? Of course.

Does this mean we should try and replace the system with a completely new one? I think not.

Supplement it, reform it, guard it, yes. But unless you have an idea that you can prove is better at ALL or even Most of the functions we ask the system to perform for us, don't suggest replacing everything that we have with a different set of flaws and errors.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 7:29 pm

wetsail wrote:

But is locking someone away for a decade a Fair and Just punishment? Sometimes, sure. There are unrepentant murderers like James Holmes of the Aurora Dark Knight shootings who will likely profit little from any other kind of punishment, but I'd say individuals like Holmes are outliers, statistical anomalies. Prison (and, by extension, the death penalty) are a simple removal of the "bad" element from society, placing it somewhere far away where most folks can forget about it. You don't improve the lot of criminals or society as a whole simply by tossing them aside, and criminals don't learn to be better in prison - if recidivism rates prove anything, it's that people in prison actually learn to be worse, because you're forcing them to hang around the worst elements of society, and no one cares enough to help.

Most people facing punishment at the hands of justice could do far better without our revenge-oriented mindset - it is Fair and Just to determine what caused these individuals to deviate from the law, and then to remedy that. Why did this person rob a liquor store? Are they poor? Do they need a job? Did they not hurt anyone? Slap an ankle bracelet on them, force them into a work-study / work-placement program, and keep them under house arrest for a year when they're not out doing court-approved activities. If you place them in a positive environment with a real legitimate (and expected) chance of self-improvement, most people will rise to the challenge and become productive citizens.

And if they don't? Hey, you've still got prison.

I agree with you.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

21 Jan 2014, 7:32 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
I'm telling you the home truth on this matter, and you can ask anybody whose been in the life about it, and if they know you and are being honest with you, they will tell you the same thing.

What you're saying isn't the truth, sorry. You seem to lack a lot of information about how the US prison industrial complex functions or you do have that information and think that slavery is cool. I'm not sure which.

Quote:
Prison works. Keep it. If you are going to commit a crime, watch your back and cover your bases. Or better yet, just don't do it.

No, prison doesn't work. Prison messes people up more than they were before they went in. Prison isn't good for anyone.

Like people are being sent to prison for life because of possession of marijuana, while a rich white kid can get off with no prison time at all after killing four people and injuring several others while driving drunk. A white man can shoot an unarmed black teenager and be acquitted while a black woman is sent to prison for 20 years for firing into the air and not hurting anyone. Police can charge a schizophrenic black man with the fact that they shot at him and missed, potentially injuring bystanders.

The prison system as it exists is a racist, classist, transphobic, misogynist tool that inordinately punishes people in certain demographics for relatively mild offenses while letting people in other demographics get away with literal murder.

Prison Industrial Complex: http://colorlines.com/archives/1998/09/ ... mplex.html

Life imprisonment: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... out-parole

US has 5% of the population but 25% of the prisoners worldwide: http://billmoyers.com/2013/12/16/land-o ... prisoners/

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/us/23 ... wanted=all

You argue from the perspective that people who end up in prison are supposed to be there and that the system works. It doesn't. It ruins lives. Many people in prison are in prison for relatively minor offenses that elsewhere in the world - in nations with lower crime rates than the US - would never merit a prison sentence.

You seem to equate "criticizing the prison industrial complex" with "wanting to be soft on hardened criminals." But, that's not anything anyone has said, that's something you carried into this conversation because you apparently have so much faith in the US prison system, but what you say about it doesn't really seem to indicate that you either know all that much about it, or that you think what is going on in the prison system is reasonable, and it's not.

And yes I've been around criminals. I've been around people who committed felonies without being caught. My mother's ex-husband was a diagnosed psychopath and a rapist, so I got to grow up around one as well as his many shady friends. And you know what? I still don't think the US prison system is remotely justifiable. It doesn't work for anything but maintaining racial and economic disparity, for disenfranchising entire swaths of the population, for providing cheap slave labors to corporations, and for locking people away for a long time for relatively minor offenses. It's a travesty, and a massive human rights violation. It doesn't work for anyone but those who can benefit from it - private companies that run prisons for the amount of money they get by housing prisoners, companies that get work from prisoners for a fraction of a pittance, for a racist system that is intended to keep black people in check. But as justice? Never.

forbidden77
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jan 2014, 7:51 pm

In my experience police men are nothing more than bullies. Example. Mom called them one night we were having a verbal disagreement and she had taunted and used my fears against me to the point I felt soo threatened and terrified I was getting a bit loud and when they showed up I went out on the porch to speak to them and I was absolutely respectful and calm towards them and even with that one of them began taunting and threatening me which instantly and completely horrified me and when we were done and I was going to walk bacj int the house the one who was upsettting me grabbed my shoulder and forcefully walked me to the stairs going down to my room and then pushed me down them to the landing. So you know I do not like at all being touched by anyone without my permission so I was at that point in an absolute mindless panic where I ran to my room, utterly destroyed it and then climbed out of my windown in nothing but my boxers and ran all the way across town and hid until I calmed enough to call me father a few hours later and he came and got me. That officers actions on that day traumatized me in a very extreme way and 3 years later which is now I still carry that overwhealming fear of them.