does the sexism in the men only area bother you?

Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

sun_rat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2007, 2:13 pm

ahayes wrote:
sun_rat wrote:
women and men ARE equal.

prove it

Most of my classes have only one woman in them, the rest are men. If they men and women were equal, there would be a ~1:1 ratio of men to women.

are women and men not part of the same species?

sun_rat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2007, 2:14 pm

ahayes wrote:
In classes where there is a significantly larger ratio of women to men the women tend not to do as well.

prove it.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2007, 2:50 pm

sun_rat wrote:
ahayes wrote:
In classes where there is a significantly larger ratio of women to men the women tend not to do as well.

prove it.

In my classes guys have grades that range from 70-90, and women have grades that range from 60-80, not including failures. (including failures the average grade of either gender is equally abysmal)

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2007, 2:52 pm

sun_rat wrote:
ahayes wrote:
sun_rat wrote:
women and men ARE equal.

prove it

Most of my classes have only one woman in them, the rest are men. If they men and women were equal, there would be a ~1:1 ratio of men to women.

are women and men not part of the same species?

same species != "="

sun_rat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2007, 4:02 pm

under the law, yes it does.

so you have decided that one section of your species is substandard.

and you guys wonder why women don't want to have sex with you...

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2007, 5:10 pm

sun_rat wrote:
under the law, yes it does.

so you have decided that one section of your species is substandard.

and you guys wonder why women don't want to have sex with you...

No, women aren't superior, inferior or equal to men. It's more complicated than that. I'm in an engineering curriculum, women just aren't too good at that, but there are other subjects where I wouldn't do too well that women are great at.

You can't say men and women are equal to or one is better than the other, it doesn't work that way.

lastwish
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Feb 2007, 5:54 pm

sun_rat wrote:
it really bothers me.

i worry about having to argue with these people who would call me all sorts of names just because i think people are equal and should have equal opportunities.

i think most men here would agree with you. What makes a lot of guys bitter here is that we feel that woman have superiority in society perhaps not in all areas but in general woman are equal in the workplace and have a much easier time getting a partner. For a considerably easier time getting a girl, i would work for half pay for the rest of my life, gladly, hows that for unfair?

nothing incites a shotgun pumping blood frenzy into a guy than reading feminist literature about how the word "postman" is degrading woman in society. This is the best they can come up with?

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2007, 5:57 pm

Well, back on the topic of sexism in the Men's Forum, if men can't be themselves there, where can they be? Also, if it bothers you so much, why do you read in the Men's Forum. I mean, I'm sorry if you don't feel welcome there, but I don't think anyone needs to make you feel welcome there. It is the Men's Forum.

- Emerson

sun_rat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2007, 6:04 pm

i read because i want to know what men think on the different things they think about.
just like they read in the women's area to want to know what women think about and how they think.

but the problem with allowing sexism in any one area is that it gives the appearance that sexism is correct and fine with the powers that be, then it creeps outside that area into others.

lastwish
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Feb 2007, 6:08 pm

what do you mean by sexism?

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2007, 6:12 pm

sun_rat wrote:
i read because i want to know what men think on the different things they think about.

Be careful what you wish for.
sun_rat wrote:
but the problem with allowing sexism in any one area is that it gives the appearance that sexism is correct and fine with the powers that be, then it creeps outside that area into others.

I think context is everything. There's nothing wrong with sexism in the locker room. Some men are sexest. Some women like 'em that way. It's the way it is.

- Emerson

sun_rat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2007, 6:15 pm

lastwish wrote:
sun_rat wrote:
it really bothers me.

i worry about having to argue with these people who would call me all sorts of names just because i think people are equal and should have equal opportunities.

i think most men here would agree with you. What makes a lot of guys bitter here is that we feel that woman have superiority in society perhaps not in all areas but in general woman are equal in the workplace and have a much easier time getting a partner. For a considerably easier time getting a girl, i would work for half pay for the rest of my life, gladly, hows that for unfair?

nothing incites a shotgun pumping blood frenzy into a guy than reading feminist literature about how the word "postman" is degrading woman in society. This is the best they can come up with?

i could tell you how my life has been unfair and the utter unfairness of how men see me as a divorced woman with kids. but this isn't about that.
there is nothing superior about being a woman on this planet except the multiple orgasm thing. nothing at all.

aspies are ostracized by society for having aspergers. women are ostracized from male society for being female.

we are really in the same boat. yet the guys who could be our allies(and by "our" i mean women who have AS) turn and treat us without respect too.

sun_rat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2007, 6:20 pm

MrMark wrote:
sun_rat wrote:

sun_rat wrote:

I think context is everything. There's nothing wrong with sexism in the locker room. Some men are sexest. Some women like 'em that way. It's the way it is.

why is there nothing wrong with sexism in the locker room?
why is male bashing right in one place and wrong in another?

if it is wrong it is wrong, and people of either gender who don't stand up against the wrongness are allowing it to propagate and are therefore guilty of it as well.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2007, 6:28 pm

sun_rat wrote:
MrMark wrote:
sun_rat wrote:

why is there nothing wrong with sexism in the locker room?
why is male bashing right in one place and wrong in another?.

If you and your girlfriends need to sit around and bash men, feel free, get it out of your system.
sun_rat wrote:
if it is wrong it is wrong, and people of either gender who don't stand up against the wrongness are allowing it to propagate and are therefore guilty of it as well.

We haven't agreed that's it's wrong, only that you feel that way.
I agree that, like fighting or killing, it's wrong in most contexts, but not necessarily all.

- Emerson

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2007, 10:08 pm

Hmmm Sexism in the locker room. Well, here would be the dividing line by law. If a female walks by outside said locker room and hears it, there would still be a suit and it would win. You'd have to close off the hallway.

Same goes for the reverse.

On the other hand, I think on here most of it and NT "bashing" really stems from frustration after years of hurt feelings, misunderstandings and downright abuse (or being used). So then we get into the issue of where is the place that we can talk about things if not here? If it never gets out on the table, it will never be resolved.

I see the sexism in love and dating. In many ways it amuses me because I'm so far off from the norm of even an Aspie woman. All I can think is if these poor guys met some woman like me they would be all screwed up. Step into the personal space a little to flirt. That would probably cause me to scream and cry. Somehow I'm thinking this isn't the reaction they are looking for. And the things they think women want amuse me. Then again, I have to admit that they can't go by me either. If they did what I like to attract anyone else, it would never work.

But, I still know that their ranting is coming from frustration because they can't read the cues. Yes, they have skewed ideas sometimes. And if they stay in the locker room, they will continue to have them and not get a date. Sooner or later they will leave the locker room.

sun_rat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2007, 2:02 pm

since sexism is allowed on this board, is racism allowed also?

is there an area for the people of one ethnicity (who believe that they have been slighted by the entirety of another ethnicity) to vent against that other ethnicity in a "locker room" type of atmosphere?