Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

sunnycat
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2007, 12:15 pm

This is off topic, but I like your avatar ZanneMarie, it's both like the universe and the ocean...both of which represents something spiritual, mysterious and infinite...

I know, it's scary that children have to pay the price when their parents have issues...I am sorry and I also repsect you for surviving what you have survived...and I'm glad that you made a decision that you are happy about...

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2007, 12:45 pm

It's the Orion Nebula shot with a different lens than normal.

to save me from ruin

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2007, 2:52 pm

ZanneMarie wrote:
Apatura wrote:
I was worried, when I had my 1rst child, that I wouldn't feel any kind of motherly instinct or intuition. However, I did end up feeling a very strong, almost neurotic protectiveness of him, and then of my subsequent children. And I do sometimes sense things in them others do not. One of my daughters was very sick last fall, and my husband initially dismissed it, but I suddenly heard this roaring voice in me to "take her to the ER!! !! !!" I did, and it turns out she was in dire need of medical attention. It saved her life.

For those of you who think you could never love a child, but who love your cats: trust me, if you can love a cat, you can love a child. It's the same thing! Even stronger, in fact.

That was certainly not true of my mother and her family and peers insisted on the same thing. She has no feelings for us whatsoever except resentment. We paid the price of that, not her. I would never take a chance like that with another human being.

Just saying you shouldn't assume that will certainly happen to another because it happened to you.

Sorry, I should have put it in the conditional.

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2007, 1:34 pm

I didn't want children. My first pregnancy was an accident. Well, all 3 were an accident, come to think of it. Anyway, if you'd asked me what I would do if I got pregnant, even weeks before I got pregnant w/ my first, I would have said have an abortion with absolutely no hesitation. I think the actual hormones of pregnancy did something to me b/c I knew I was pregnant and loved that baby before the pregnancy test even showed the positive. And I've found that I have a very strong maternal instinct and am very nurturing and good w/ small children. I was worried about how I'd be w/ older kids b/c I don't get along w/ older kids, but I highly doubt it will be a problem w/ my own children. Mainly b/c they're not NT. LOL!

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 5:09 pm

wendytheweird wrote:
Anyway, if you'd asked me what I would do if I got pregnant, even weeks before I got pregnant w/ my first, I would have said have an abortion with absolutely no hesitation. I think the actual hormones of pregnancy did something to me b/c I knew I was pregnant and loved that baby before the pregnancy test even showed the positive. And I've found that I have a very strong maternal instinct and am very nurturing and good w/ small children.

Am not arguing with anyone's experiences, only stating my own. Not singling out this person, am responding to the sentences quoted.
Not all women who get pregnant experience this 180 degree turnaround in body/mind. Some do, some don't. Pardon my coming off as strident, the recent congressional hearings on postpartum depression are still ringing in my head. Don't want to get sidetracked into issue of abortion since there are other threads for that. The hormones did not change my feelings about pregnancy-I fixed my problem as soon as possible because if I had to continue down that road I'd have killed myself. I don't want children & I do not have children. I'm 34.
No offense intended, am not picking on individuals, have no wish to argue. Everyone's different, except for what we have in common.
My maternal instincts are towards animals & somewhat with my close (human) companion. Not so much maternal, but sense of caring mutual relationship. "Treasuring", valuing, delighting in something or other about the person or pet-imagine that's shared experience, whether or not one has created offspring.

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 5:57 pm

I am extremely maternal and have the 4 kids to show for it. We also have gerbils, fish, two dogs, guinea pigs and all or my kids friends here ALL the time. I told Zanne that I have great respect for anyone who knows they don't want children and takes the necessary to prevent it. I run a dayhome and child that wasn't wanted makes me sad because it is obvious.
I also have a bizarre need to mother people around me which doesn't always go over well. Reading forums today, there were 3 people that I just wanted to make feel better but I controlled myself! :)

Grim
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2007, 11:02 am

I have strong maternal instinct. I do not feel an overwhelming need to reproduce currently, but I think I will do in future years. I really hope to be a mother one day, I think I would do just fine at it..

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 11:33 am

I thing I would definitely be as good a mother as I possibly could..I just don't think it is ever gonna happen and i am not very worried about it.

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2007, 2:03 pm

Belfast wrote:
wendytheweird wrote:
Anyway, if you'd asked me what I would do if I got pregnant, even weeks before I got pregnant w/ my first, I would have said have an abortion with absolutely no hesitation. I think the actual hormones of pregnancy did something to me b/c I knew I was pregnant and loved that baby before the pregnancy test even showed the positive. And I've found that I have a very strong maternal instinct and am very nurturing and good w/ small children.

Am not arguing with anyone's experiences, only stating my own. Not singling out this person, am responding to the sentences quoted.
Not all women who get pregnant experience this 180 degree turnaround in body/mind. Some do, some don't. Pardon my coming off as strident, the recent congressional hearings on postpartum depression are still ringing in my head. Don't want to get sidetracked into issue of abortion since there are other threads for that. The hormones did not change my feelings about pregnancy-I fixed my problem as soon as possible because if I had to continue down that road I'd have killed myself. I don't want children & I do not have children. I'm 34.
No offense intended, am not picking on individuals, have no wish to argue. Everyone's different, except for what we have in common.
My maternal instincts are towards animals & somewhat with my close (human) companion. Not so much maternal, but sense of caring mutual relationship. "Treasuring", valuing, delighting in something or other about the person or pet-imagine that's shared experience, whether or not one has created offspring.

I think for me, I was actually in denial of my mothering instinct b/c my parents sucked and I didn't want to be like them. I have always mothered animals and my younger siblings. So I guess I was always maternal, but I was in denial. lol Hope that made sense.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 9:46 pm

I would like to have children, but I don't think it will happen. I have a strong maternal, nurturing instinct towards my cats.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 5:49 pm

I had no maternal instinct...I had no plans to have children, the thought scared the heck out of me...I was told that I wouldn't physically be able to have children...well someone was obviously wrong on the last part. :D

I took precautions...but about a year after we were married I was pregnant.

The pregnancy was rough...I have sensory issues, and health issues, and my marriage at the time was rocky already.

My son was born premature at 6 months after I ended up with severe preeclampsia...he's 8 now. Some days are hard without a doubt...but I can't imagine now...how my life would have been without him.

devunea
Toucan
Toucan

06 May 2007, 7:29 pm

i always thought i would want a child, but as i get older and wiser i am thinking not. i first thought that i would not find a trustable spouse. not as in the non cheating type but one that i would trust what he said/did/acted around a child. (decided was not possible as i can not control another human). so then i thought well, as long as i am stable enough i can adopt, and i might even be a weirdo and adopt a USA kid or two. i am loving and nurturing, i have three younger brothers. but even lately i have felt i do not want to have kids. it is not just the change in lifestyle, but the pressure to create their impressionable reality. i think i would do better to not deal with that.
anyway i have two dogs that i love and cherish.

Nellie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 May 2007, 11:59 am

I feel the drive when I ovulate sometimes. Most of the time I think "no more kids" (I have 2) I love my children more than life itself and for this reason I don't know if I could handle more! :lol: I have never worried or feared so much in my life for another human being. It's almost painful sometimes.

I have two little ones and the instinct took over as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I was nuturing everything. My life changed just as soon as a found out I was pregnant with my first. I blame hormones. :)

Prudence
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2007, 12:47 pm

I am more career-driven than romantically driven, but I have something of a motherly streak. "You're like a bossy mom!" :roll: In all seriousness, I and my partner would love to have children some time in the future, but it's not on our list of top priorities.

Melody
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 May 2007, 2:28 pm

No I do not want to have children. I am not good with children at all. I think I'd make a terrible mother. No one I know can imagine me raising a child. I'd rather have dogs and cats.

kittenfluffies
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 1:16 pm

I'm like 9catmom, I'd much rather have little furr children than human children. My cats ARE my kids. No human babies for me, thanks.