Feel nauseous when playing video games

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2023, 7:33 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Another aspect is the refresh rate. Some modern high-quality monitors have a 100hz refresh rate compared to the standard 60hz rate in older monitors. While this provides a more fluid graphic experience, it can *also* cause dizziness...

Funny you should say that faster refresh rates cause dizziness.

My head feels a bit off with lower refresh rates, and lower refresh rates are known to be related to epileptic seizures.

I use 120hz. For the OP - try this for a while. I find it helpful, anecdotally.

Also, as other people have mentioned, try using a lower brightness on the monitor or television you use for gaming, or wear some sunglasses, or both.

Playing in a room with a sufficient amount of lighting is important, even if you are light sensitive, since having just the screen glowing in the dark is actually more intense than having some soft ambient light that takes the glare out of a screen somewhat.

arekks
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Aug 2023, 1:00 am

:twisted:

blitzkrieg wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
Another aspect is the refresh rate. Some modern high-quality monitors have a 100hz refresh rate compared to the standard 60hz rate in older monitors. While this provides a more fluid graphic experience, it can *also* cause dizziness...

Funny you should say that faster refresh rates cause dizziness.

My head feels a bit off with lower refresh rates, and lower refresh rates are known to be related to epileptic seizures.

I use 120hz. For the OP - try this for a while. I find it helpful, anecdotally.

Also, as other people have mentioned, try using a lower brightness on the monitor or television you use for gaming, or wear some sunglasses, or both.

Playing in a room with a sufficient amount of lighting is important, even if you are light sensitive, since having just the screen glowing in the dark is actually more intense than having some soft ambient light that takes the glare out of a screen somewhat.

Yeah, high refresh rate is usually associated with less nausea afaik.

Lower refresh rates can be interesting on OLED panels in particular because they have such fast response times that the stop-start nature of the image delivery is made obvious, and the motion appears juddery. LCDs on the other hand tend to blur motion because the pixels take a long time to transition.

I do find lower framerate content (ie. 30fps) difficult to parse and I can see how that would cause nausea, but I think the case for the sufferers in this thread is much more severe... I have no idea if there's anything they can do about it :/