Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2023, 10:56 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Music is about emotion for most folks I would think. NT or AS.

Like just yesterday...I stumbled upon the video for a particular slightly old song. But the song suddenly seemed all-to-relevant because of the news. Made my eyes well up.

https://youtu.be/6Ejga4kJUts

I've heard this song countless times on the radio but I cannot always understand lyrics, and this was one of those, so it's usually all about the music rather than what is being sung.
Today is the first time I've read the lyrics to this song and it does add considerably more meaning.
The only word I could make out before was "Zombie", only because it was the name of the song.
The "In my head" part sounded like "Immaher, immaher"
Made no sense at all.
I envy people who can hear both music and lyrics, it must be incredible.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2023, 11:23 pm

Yeah. Dont totally disagree.

I was only vaguely aware of the song...heard it once or twice.

Was researching songs with Halloween related titles.

And I admit that if you look away from the screen and just listen... its not the same.

But with lyrics texted out plus the video imagery its understandible and quite powerful.

O' Riordan wrote it in protest to the IRA bombing in London that killed children in the Nineties.

And as I said before ...rediscovering the song and video RIGHT NOW adds a certain emotional punch.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2023, 11:27 pm

^ I had never seen the music video before today either.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2023, 8:11 am

Music helps me do deal with a lot of things that society throws at me. It distracts me and sometimes it helps me to sleep through the night.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2023, 8:20 am

This Ivan Ave track got me through summer of 2018 when I was working insane hours (much needed levity - same for the video).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2023, 5:08 pm

I listen to a lot of Space Music and Ambient Music and a lot of it doesn't resemble traditional music...which leads me to:

White, Brown, Pink and Green Noise: Benefits of Each

9 Different Types of Noise – The Colors of Sound

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2023, 10:08 pm

Oh yeah. I got multiple music tracks for depression, anxiety, BPD episodes....

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2023, 12:05 pm

colliegrace wrote:
Oh yeah. I got multiple music tracks for depression, anxiety, BPD episodes....

Good that it work for you. During my depression, which has only ever been sub-clinical so far, my emotional reaction to music was either boredom or nothing at all. Now I'm manic and anxious, I should give it another try. What kinds of music do you use for treating those different ailments?

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2023, 9:19 pm

Very much so. I listen to music frequently, including headphones at work. It helps keep me energized, and it really helps with my iADHD by helping me tune out background noise (literal or figurative).

Music helps me feel in general. I usually listen on shuffle and sometimes a particular song I've heard a hundred times will hit me a way it never has before because of what's on my mind. I will sometimes replay the song several times because of how it speaks to my mood. It can be very unpredictable. I once listened to Boston's "Higher Power" on repeat for an hour.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 3:32 pm

Double Retired wrote:
I listen to a lot of Space Music and Ambient Music and a lot of it doesn't resemble traditional music...which leads me to:

White, Brown, Pink and Green Noise: Benefits of Each

9 Different Types of Noise – The Colors of Sound

Stumbled across this related article on the Internet...

"Can pink noise enhance sleep and memory? Early research drives a color noise buzz"
Quote:
White noise and pink noise may provide small benefits for people with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, according to a recent review of limited ADHD studies. In theory, it wakes up the brain, said ADHD researcher and co-author Joel Nigg of Oregon Health & Science University in Portland.

"The noise provides stimulation to the brain without providing information, and so it doesn’t distract,” Nigg said.

White noise has been used to treat ringing or buzzing in the ear, called tinnitus.

Scientists at Northwestern University are studying how short pulses of pink noise can enhance the slow brain waves of deep sleep. In small studies, these pink-noise pulses have shown promise in improving memory and the relaxation response.

Pink noise has a frequency profile “very similar to the distribution of brain wave frequencies we see in slow-wave sleep because these are large, slow waves,” said Dr. Roneil Malkani, associate professor of neurology at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.

If Northwestern’s research pans out, it could lead to a medical device to improve sleep or memory through personalized pulses of pink noise. But many scientific questions remain unanswered, Malkani said. “There’s still a lot of work we have to do.”

Nonetheless, I favor ambient/space music.

Though I admit that before I retired, if I was having a stressful day at work, I would favor something a bit more turbulent, like
 the Qatsi Trilogy or Steve Roach's On This Planet.

angelsonthemoon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2024, 4:03 pm

Music soothes my nerves greatly. It's like medicine. It's like meditation with melody.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 4:05 pm

I'm pretty sure a lot of the music I listen to is emotionally dysregulated.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 5:39 pm

Sometimes I have trouble knowing how I feel or even feeling things at all. Music helps me with both things. For me, it’s less about soothing and more about getting things out that need to be got out. Sometimes I need to fully feel anger, sadness, or whatever before I can experience the more pleasant stuff like serenity and peace.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 5:46 pm

Same. ^

Most of the time I don't have any idea how I'm feeling or how to express it, and a song just magically pops into my head as if I have an emotional rolodex. Most of the time the words are so unbelievably perfect for my situation it's uncanny, even if those words didn't mean the same thing to me previously. Other times I think of a song because of the mood or memory it gives me, even if it's not about the lyrics. Then I can think about what my emotions were during the flashback / memory, and it usually turns out they're the same as now.

Music is the one and only way I can regulate my feelings. My pets come next but they don't give me as much clarity; they only give me comfort. Writing would be third I guess. Other people would be last.

mgurak
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2024, 11:40 pm

I have different music for different moods. I too can change my mood with the right song but the wrong song just feels like noise to me. When I'm sad or melancholy I can't listen to my 80s rock music. I have to start with something mellow but not maudlin. I find overall that Classical music helps keep me on an even keel, especially if I'm alone and can conduct (well, pretend to anyway). And I almost always sing along to my music. If I'm not singing then something's wrong.

katebrownell86
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 May 2024, 6:19 pm

You're definitely not alone! Music is a powerful tool for regulating emotions. Studies show it activates parts of the brain linked to pleasure, reward, and emotional control. Listening to specific songs based on your mood can be a great way to self-soothe, uplift yourself, or even channel strong feelings in a healthy way. It's like creating a personalized soundtrack for your emotions. This isn't magic, but the connection between music and our feelings is well-documented. Think of it as a healthy coping mechanism you've developed to manage your inner world!