Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Xenorere
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Sep 2024, 2:30 am

milly wrote:
I am really confused. My psychiatrist suggested I needed to go for an autism assessment and that my schizophrenia/schizoaffective diagnosis needs to be reviewed. But all the information I have been looking at, I can see no link between autism and psychosis. Autism does not cause psychosis, so why does the psychiatrist think I do not have schizophrenia?

I had my first psychosis in 2010. I continued taking meds until 2020 with zero psychosis. They tried to put me on antidepressants once they took me off the antipsychotic, and thats what pushed me into having another psychosis. He feels having two psychotic episodes (10 years apart) does not mean I have schizophrenia. It's not what the other docs said but I want to trust this consultant. He's the only one in 38 years of my life who rightfully thought I needed an autism assessment.

Oh it definitely can be linked with autism, I've dealt with psychosis multiple times, I'm not schizophrenic either. Fun stuff

SteelersFan
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Oct 2024, 10:35 pm

Xenorere wrote:

Oh it definitely can be linked with autism, I've dealt with psychosis multiple times, I'm not schizophrenic either. Fun stuff

THANK YOU for the confirmation!! I am so tired of my mom thinking my wife, who has autism, is schizophrenic! She doesn't meet the DSM criteria for it but does meet all the AS criteria.

One therapist we saw said that her past trauma likely brings it out (and I would bet not being diagnosed until 33 is also a huge factor). I actually came here today to post another theory in this forum to see if anyone can lend credibility to it on this very topic...

Xenorere
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

Yesterday, 12:44 am

SteelersFan wrote:
Xenorere wrote:

THANK YOU for the confirmation!! I am so tired of my mom thinking my wife, who has autism, is schizophrenic! She doesn't meet the DSM criteria for it but does meet all the AS criteria.

One therapist we saw said that her past trauma likely brings it out (and I would bet not being diagnosed until 33 is also a huge factor). I actually came here today to post another theory in this forum to see if anyone can lend credibility to it on this very topic...

I havent had an official diagnosis, so dont let me influence your medical decisions, I could be wrong, but from the digging I've done and paying attention to how it affected me, the symptoms seem like it was psychosis, and it happened more than once to me