It's "I pledge allegiance" not "I pledge of allegiance".

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 2:37 pm

modernmax wrote:
Ever notice we say we're "indivisible" but at one point we were literally divided into two and went to war with each other?

The attempted divide was illegitimate and responded to with overwhelming deadly force.
It's indivisible and that's backed by a demonstrated willingness to use force to address attempts at dividing it.

If the US adopted the logic you're espousing that would amount to granting legitimacy to the traitors and their secessionist movement. The attempt at dividing America didn't succeed, the US remained the sole legitimate nation fighting.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 3:01 pm

It's "One nation UNDER GOD" thanks to the McCarthy witch hunts in the 1950s. Let's not forget our own Spanish Inquisition, perpetrated by misdirected patriotism.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 5:34 pm

I knew some kids in high school who got the "indivisible" part of the pledge wrong. They would think it was "individual" or "invisible".

utterly absurd
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 7:50 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
ocean wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
ocean wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
I couldn't care less.

thats also something some people say wrong...they say "i could care less"...which means they care a lil

I think the point of I could care less is that it's intended sarcastically, and that means reading it literally misses the context.

The two sayings mean the same thing despite literally opposite meanings.

yeah its still wrong fam :flower:

If it's understood, it's not wrong.

If you only fail to understand because you refuse to accept the generally understood meaning, you're wrong, not the speaker. :nerdy:

I think this depends on how you define "wrong".
Since the point of language is to communicate, if people understand you, then you're not "wrong".
However, even if you're understood, you're still saying the exact opposite of what you mean, which makes you sound like a moron. It's like if you're talking about Chinese history and you mention as a side note that 2+2=5; it doesn't affect what you're trying to say, but it still makes you sound like a moron.
And it's not an idiom--idioms are not meant literally, but they mean something at least distantly related to their literal meaning. Not the exact opposite of their literal meaning.
This mistake bothers me a thousand times more than spelling errors or apostrophe misuse, because every time someone uses it, they make it more socially acceptable to look like a moron. I could care a LOT less about that.

Feel free to PM me--I like to talk about most things other than sports.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 8:07 pm

utterly absurd wrote:
I think this depends on how you define "wrong".
Since the point of language is to communicate, if people understand you, then you're not "wrong".
However, even if you're understood, you're still saying the exact opposite of what you mean, which makes you sound like a moron. It's like if you're talking about Chinese history and you mention as a side note that 2+2=5; it doesn't affect what you're trying to say, but it still makes you sound like a moron.
And it's not an idiom--idioms are not meant literally, but they mean something at least distantly related to their literal meaning. Not the exact opposite of their literal meaning.
This mistake bothers me a thousand times more than spelling errors or apostrophe misuse, because every time someone uses it, they make it more socially acceptable to look like a moron. I could care a LOT less about that.

You're ignoring tone (which generally provides additional context) but are insisting it's the other party that sounds like a moron despite you being the one who's intentionally choosing to ignore part of the information.

That's a bold strategy, but it doesn't sound like it's working out well for you. It sounds like a needless source of frustration, especially since you fully understand what the other party means.

It's one thing to pretend to not understand sarcasm to mess with someone who's being insulting. It's even understandable when the failure to notice sarcasm is genuine, but to just ignore it and act like the other party is in the wrong will cause most people to identify one of you as the idiot, but not the one you're hoping for.

utterly absurd
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 10:20 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
You're ignoring tone (which generally provides additional context) but are insisting it's the other party that sounds like a moron despite you being the one who's intentionally choosing to ignore part of the information.

That's a bold strategy, but it doesn't sound like it's working out well for you. It sounds like a needless source of frustration, especially since you fully understand what the other party means.

It's one thing to pretend to not understand sarcasm to mess with someone who's being insulting. It's even understandable when the failure to notice sarcasm is genuine, but to just ignore it and act like the other party is in the wrong will cause most people to identify one of you as the idiot, but not the one you're hoping for.

You make some good points. I suppose it's mostly an irrational pet peeve. I have plenty of those, from Americans using non-American spellings to people who aren't handicapped pressing handicapped buttons instead of just opening doors. It especially bothers me when people say things that aren't true, even if it doesn't affect the point they're making. It doesn't really matter, but I still can't stand seeing someone say something false and not be corrected. I think saying "I could care less" would fall under that umbrella.
If I had to argue for the rationality of this pet peeve, I would say that when people (unintentionally) say the opposite of what they mean, it demonstrates that they are not thinking about what they are saying. It may not matter in this scenario, but when people never think about what they're saying, a lot of stupid things can result. So by saying this, they're demonstrating a larger flaw in the way they speak.
But mostly I think it's just an irrational pet peeve. To be fair, though, I'm a lot more lenient about the way people talk than my parents are.

Feel free to PM me--I like to talk about most things other than sports.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 11:00 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
modernmax wrote:
Ever notice we say we're "indivisible" but at one point we were literally divided into two and went to war with each other?

The attempted divide was illegitimate and responded to with overwhelming deadly force.
It's indivisible and that's backed by a demonstrated willingness to use force to address attempts at dividing it.

If the US adopted the logic you're espousing that would amount to granting legitimacy to the traitors and their secessionist movement. The attempt at dividing America didn't succeed, the US remained the sole legitimate nation fighting.

So had the rebels won, it wouldn't have been considered divided? If not a full blown war, what exactly constitutes a nation being divided?