Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2024, 8:11 am

If Farage takes over the conservative party, I foresee them being difficult to elect for a long time to come, which can only be a good thing for Labour.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2024, 8:59 am

I think the current center right I.e. the conservatives are done for but given the European elections, I forsee Farage becoming a more viable alternative.

Seems people are getting tired left wing parties and even the yonger generation are taking a sudden lurch to the right.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2024, 9:18 am

Nades wrote:
Seems people are getting tired left wing parties and even the yonger generation are taking a sudden lurch to the right.

I believe that's true in Europe, but there's no evidence I've seen of young people lurching rightwards in the UK. Young British people (and the definition of 'young' has stretched to include people in their 50s now), are still broadly progressive.

The future of the Conservative party is going to be interesting to watch. I can totally see Farage taking over the party and dragging it even further rightwards but I don't think that's going to be an appealing proposition for a big cohort of voters. Reform's voters remain a very narrow demographic.

I think the future of the Conservative party is going to have a lot more to do with how Labour perform in power (including if we find ourselves at war, or dealing with another pandemic or other unforeseen issue) and how the British media covers politics over the next 5-10 years.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Jun 2024, 1:36 pm

In the last few years UK prime ministers have come and gone like short order cooks!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/