Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 9:45 pm

I don't suffer from Asperger's Syndrome. But I have suffered because people don't understand it or respect me for who I am--two things that the ransom note ads encourage. I don't live a life of complete isolation either.

I may not socialize as much as most people, but I like it that way. I would rather be left alone, given the freedom to live as I am, than have be "treated".

More importantly, AS is not an external force that controls me, as the ads would imply. Instead it is an integral part of who I am. It is neither good, nor bad. It is just a way of explaining differences.

This is how I have experienced it my whole life, even before I knew about AS or knew that there were other people with similar experiences.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 9:00 am

I feel horribly... unobservant?

I watch the alt.support.autism newsgroup, and for some reason, I didn't register what the thread The Latest Buzz - Ransom Letters from ASD? was all about. Unfortunate... I'm so shallow; my excuse: the initial "The Latest Buzz" made me dismiss the whole thing as just some frivolous comment.

The thread started talking about this <insert your favourite strongly objecting adjective(s) here> campaign over a week ago. I've been skipping over the posts without reading them. Again, sorry all.

To access the discussion there, the link I've given above, via Google Groups should work. I've just gone there myself, to read the backlog of messages I've been ignoring. I have no idea what has been said so far.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 9:43 am

YowlingCat wrote:
Most offensive of all to me was this characterization:

Quote:
It's harsh and edgy and shocking but I don't think it's nearly as shocking as the diseases themselves, and the lack of treatment," he (Koplewicz) said. "It's time for psychotic disorders to be equal to physical disorders."

Psychotic?

The Profession is know for attracting nut cases, they have the highest rate of self medication, suicide, and if a hundred were locked uo with a hundred mental cases for a week, then all were evaluated, they would not get out.

This whole Profession is a danger to themselves and others.

It is a religion based on nothing.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 11:01 am

There is now a second thread on alt.support.autism: nyt coverage of ad campaign.

From the first of the two threads, one particular post from Arak gives lots of interesting(sic) links. E.g.

Quote:
Dear Autism,

You don't have my son; I do.

I will make sure that he is never defined by his autism alone, and I
will help him to recognize that, although his autism makes some things
incredibly challenging, it also brings with it remarkable gifts. I
will make sure that we work on his challenges. I will make sure that
we celebrate his gifts.

This is only the beginning.
- MOM-NOS
(source)

(I just LOVE that signature!)

lau
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 1:59 pm

And... I've just signed the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/ransom/petition.html.

CGKings317
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Dec 2007, 10:31 pm

I am NOT in a shell!!

Asperger's Syndrome does NOT 'have me'! !

I am NOT proverbially handcuffed!!

I do NOT wish that I be cured!

I do NOT wish to be further stigmatized by the ads.

Rather...

...I wish that society be understanding of the challenges we face and have services be created to deal with these challenges.

[/"soap box']

After hearing about the ransom note campaign, I felt so disempowered that I had to respond somewhere, preferably where like-minded people frequent.

Sorry. :(

~CGK

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 5:52 am

Wow!! How sick of them to post these adds.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

16 Dec 2007, 6:38 am

Here's one:

Dear Julian,

I have her. I will keep her here forever. Your child is destined to grow up and follow everyone like a little sheep. She will want to flash her body to guys and spell horrifically on the internet. She will not become anyone special and will be neither good nor bad. She will remain in my custody for the rest of her boring life.

From, Normality

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

lau
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2007, 8:27 pm

The statement about "concluding this phase" of the campaign is available at http://www.aboutourkids.org/about_us/public_awareness.
The petition stands at 1,180 signatories at http://www.petitiononline.com/ransom/petition.html.

I thought it might be helpful to cross post this to each of the four threads on this subject:

Are you held hostage by Autism?
URGENT CALL TO ACTION from ASAN
Campaign on Childhood Mental Illness Succeeds at Being Provo
Psych groups' fury over 'ransom' ads (NYDailyNews.com)

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2007, 11:45 pm

1185 now... :)

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 3:55 pm

That retraction letter is a joke, about how the campaign is great because it got people talking about aspergers and autism. That's the same as saying "We are glad we got people calling all blacks N****rs, because now we have their attention to combat racism.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 4:39 pm

Triangular_Trees wrote:
That retraction letter ...

I'm afraid you misread it. I nearly posted it as you say, calling it a "retraction letter", but it's not even that. All it says is that they have completed their first phase. Maybe their next phase will be even bigger billboards, with the same messages.

The announcement also steers way clear of saying what proportion of their mail was in favour of their campaign and how many petitions they have asking them to continue it.

Finally, it does not mention which of their people they have sacked.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 4:49 pm

I have signed

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 4:52 pm

I looked at the letter. They are trying to wave a white flag without admitting defeat. They got new rear openings added and they're pulling back in a typical political way. Now they're asking for money. Figures. :roll:

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 4:53 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
wow, thank goodness my parents are deceased.

We must be such a burden to those people.

Merle

Yes, but we're so cute and cuddly no one minds. :lol:

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 5:47 pm

lau wrote:
Triangular_Trees wrote:
That retraction letter ...

I'm afraid you misread it. I nearly posted it as you say, calling it a "retraction letter", but it's not even that. All it says is that they have completed their first phase. Maybe their next phase will be even bigger billboards, with the same messages.

The announcement also steers way clear of saying what proportion of their mail was in favour of their campaign and how many petitions they have asking them to continue it.

Finally, it does not mention which of their people they have sacked.

Nope it sounds as if you've misread it. What it says is:

Quote:
We have decided to conclude this phase of our campaign today because the debate over the ads is taking away from the pressing day-to-day work we need to do to help children and their families

That's enough to call it a retraction letter for the ransom notes