Page 2 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

acannon
Raven
Raven

25 May 2008, 7:14 am

"He was a problem student. They had to do something and they'd probably already tried everything else."
But the teacher should have talked to the parents about it or talked to someone higher up and they would meet with the parents, not let the student's classmates vote him out of the class. If he was that much of a problem, they could've tried harder to get him diagnosed and given an IEP and placed him in special ed.

"Notice it says "in the process." This is why accusations of bigotry don't hold up."
It also said that they're in the process of getting an IEP for him. He began testing in February. The teacher in question attended these meetings, so it's not like she could have thought that he was just being a "disgusting and annoying" boy for no reason. I think the school really dropped the ball on his testing and getting an IEP set up, and now this happens. Just because he doesn't have an official dx from the school doesn't mean that it's not bigotry. The school suggested that he be tested, so there's definitely basis to this. Either way, even if he wasn't an Aspie, it would be horrible for this to happen to any child, NT or not.

ETA: They didn't even send him home. He had to stay in the nurse's office the rest of the day. They didn't even call the mom to tell her what happened or anything. I don't think the teacher even sent him to the nurse's office, she probably just sent him out of the room with nowhere else to go. When the mom came to pick him up, he was really upset and the nurse told the mom to talk to his teacher. This school dropped the ball in so many areas it's not even funny, and then this abuse occurs. Disgusting.

kraken
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 May 2008, 12:47 pm

Irrelevant, Yupa. He may be a distraction. He may be violently hurling pencils and scissors at his classmates. It may be appropriate to remove him from the class. It would never be appropriate to remove him by a majority vote of his peers after he's been held up for public ridicule by his classmates and his teacher.

There. Is. No. Justification.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 12:55 pm

I'm not surprised that his classmates and his teacher did that to him.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 1:02 pm

whether the boy has a diagnosis or not,he still would have the problems....it's disablism,and the teacher is also teaching the children that its okay to treat others with differences as less equal,what sort of dated belief is that now?
not nice.

Quote:
Irrelevant, Yupa. He may be a distraction. He may be violently hurling pencils and scissors at his classmates. It may be appropriate to remove him from the class. It would never be appropriate to remove him by a majority vote of his peers after he's been held up for public ridicule by his classmates and his teacher.

agreed.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 1:55 pm

kraken wrote:

Hopefully he'll learn a valuable listen from the experience, but it seems like his parents are preventing him from letting the intended message sink into his skull.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 1:56 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
whether the boy has a diagnosis or not,he still would have the problems....it's disablism,and the teacher is also teaching the children that its okay to treat others with differences as less equal,what sort of dated belief is that now?

If someone called you names and threw things at you and beat you up all the time would you say that we should all be nice to that person and "respect their differences?" (in terms of their "different" behaviour)
I don't think so.

acannon
Raven
Raven

25 May 2008, 1:59 pm

Yupa wrote:
kraken wrote:

Hopefully he'll learn a valuable listen from the experience, but it seems like his parents are preventing him from letting the intended message sink into his skull.

You're joking, right? He's five years old! What "lesson" is he going to learn from this, anyhow? That school sucks? That he's going to be marginalized his entire life because of his autism? I'm pretty sure he's learned that already from this. The person who should really be learning a lesson is this "teacher", IMO.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 2:08 pm

They should fire that b***h and put a child abuse label on her record.

You cannot put a five year old on trial before kids like that. Even if the boy is the most difficult one in the state, a teacher has no right to put a kid on the stand like that.

She even gives her authority away by putting it as a democratic situation. And kindergarten is not the place for democracy!

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 4:41 pm

acannon wrote:
Yupa wrote:
kraken wrote:

You're joking, right? He's five years old! What "lesson" is he going to learn from this, anyhow? That school sucks? That he's going to be marginalized his entire life because of his autism? I'm pretty sure he's learned that already from this. The person who should really be learning a lesson is this "teacher", IMO.

He will not be marginalized his entire life because of autism, he will be marginalized his entire life if he continues to display poor behaviour towards others.
That's the lesson he should learn from this. If you act out and hurt others or disrupt an environment that is intended to be safe and secure for all, you'll only be giving people a reason to dislike you (and if people dislike you already for no reason, giving them a reason is definitely something you do not ever want to do).
And giving people a reason to dislike you will dig you into a pit of s**t you can never escape from.
I've seen other people dig themselves into situations like that, and all because they feel a sense of entitlement that this kid's parents seem to be trying to give him.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 4:56 pm

Yupa wrote:
acannon wrote:
Yupa wrote:
kraken wrote:

He will not be marginalized his entire life because of autism, he will be marginalized his entire life if he continues to display poor behaviour towards others.
That's the lesson he should learn from this. If you act out and hurt others or disrupt an environment that is intended to be safe and secure for all, you'll only be giving people a reason to dislike you (and if people dislike you already for no reason, giving them a reason is definitely something you do not ever want to do).
And giving people a reason to dislike you will dig you into a pit of sh** you can never escape from.
I've seen other people dig themselves into situations like that, and all because they feel a sense of entitlement that this kid's parents seem to be trying to give him.

The issues are interrelated; hows does someone who has trouble in social situations and interpreting the actions and responses of others supposed to have something 'sink into his skull'? Gross and substantial misplacement of blame here, in my opinion. While - if and only if - he does have some behavioral problem I would understand addressing that issues within the confines of the IED process and through the administration. However, what the teacher did was wrong; by creating that situation the young boy is a pariah amongst his peers. If he needs assistance, then that is what needs to be pursued... but education by shame is a brutal, cruel and infrequently effective process. Where do you see entitlement?

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

kraken
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 May 2008, 4:58 pm

Unfortunately, that's not likely what he will learn from this, because he's only five years old. In other words, he won't have the cognitive development necessary to follow your logical maze. We don't know that he hurt anyone, nor do we know that his behavior was 'bad' in any meaningful sense. We only know that a bunch of 5 year-olds were willing to marginalize him at the teacher's direction and that she was frustrated with him. That's all we know about what he's done. Are you willing to allow 5 year-olds the power to determine who belongs in class? Are you that stupid? The teacher is.

And it doesn't matter. There are procedures to deal with students who must be removed from class due to disruptive behavior. This isn't one of them. Period. It's not ok. It's not alright. It's not going to improve his quality of life. It's not going to teach him anything helpful. It's simply going to isolate him further from his peers and magnify his social impairments.

To summarize, what the teacher did is wrong because...
1. It won't accomplish anything
2. It traumatized a 5 year-old child
3. It violated the child's and his parents' trust
4. It made a class of children complicit in the teacher's behavior

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 5:47 pm

Yupa no one is saying that the boy should not have been disciplined. However there ARE effective and acceptable forms of discipline that don't involve public humiliation. She could have sent him to the principals office. She could have put him in a time-out in the corner. She could have had him in detention an hour every day. She could have gone through the proper channels and actually had him expelled from school if the behavior warranted such measures. She had many options she could have taken.

However the path she chose was public humiliation by making his classmates list off all the things they hated about him, and then put his ability to attend kindergarten to a vote by his fellow 5-year olds. This is far more damaging than even phsyical abuse in my opinion. A slap on the face, a spank on the butt heal in a few minutes. Being whipped or caned may heal in a few days. Being publicly humiliated by his own teacher is something he will bear the scars for the rest of his life.

Yupa I hope you don't have any kids, or work with children, if you think that is at all an accepted method of discipline.

25 May 2008, 9:52 pm

I don't know how the kid was misbehaving but if he was truly misbehaving, he should have been sent to the principal's office only, instead of what the teacher did.

My brother's first grade teacher sort of did the same thing.
He had a kid in his class who was really mean. He bullied other kids. I don't remember what exactly he did. But one day the teacher asked if anyone hates (his name). I don't remember what his name was anyway but I remember I was shocked she did that and thought it was uncalled for. It sounded like something another kid would do but from a teacher, whoa. Then she asked why they don't like him and they all listed his bad behavior. And my mother seemed okay what the teacher did. It was the asking who hates him or not part that bothered me. But the rest seemed fine because they were just trying to get the kid to understand his behavior and that kids don't like him because of it. I don't remember if he started being nicer or not after it.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 12:58 am

Yupa wrote:

8O

What you're saying is a crock of s**t and you know it.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 12:59 am

Yupa wrote:
If someone called you names and threw things at you and beat you up all the time would you say that we should all be nice to that person and "respect their differences?" (in terms of their "different" behaviour)

Yes, definitely.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 2:28 am

Yupa wrote:
kraken wrote:

And what should he learn from that?

"All people hate me."? It is okay to bully and ridicule everybody? All people are good, but some are better and it is not you?

Yupa wrote:
KingdomOfRats wrote:

I don't think so.

I'm appalled by your statement.

Disciplinary means and what this teacher did are two different things.

You do not seem to understand the impact such an incident has on a child nor the emotional implications that are involved regardless of age or person. By your reasoning, we can beat and damage everybody who does wrong in our view as long as we don't cause distress in society.

Respect for a human person is not earned. Our rights are unalienable - we are born to be respected and tolerated. This does definitely not exclude being taught, being disciplined for our sakes and the sakes of ours.

But there is a difference between lashing out in emotional distress - like that teacher did - and taking disciplinary means.

Doing back "the same" to teach such is wrong is not at all sensible. It's enforcing the idea of the superiority of power and that rights come with power only.