Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 2:50 am

BlackjackGabbiani wrote:
Where are our leaders? Why aren't we exposing lies in areas other than small videos on Youtube? Where are our magazine ads? Where are our interviews on Oprah?

I've been trying to get some channers to counter her anti-pedo BS. Sent her a submission idea and all. We should all submit stuff to her show speaking of that.

EDIT: the point of the above post was if I can't get channers to do it/have a hard time with it it seems to be hard....or ntot!

We need a *chan for autistic people!

BlackjackGabbiani
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 May 2009, 6:06 am

..."Channers"? You mean like 4Chan and all that?

GoddessofSnowandIce
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2009, 8:04 am

I spend a lot of time on a news aggregator site called Fark.com, similar to what I've heard 4Chan is, but not quite the same. Often, they have articles about autism and with each article is a discussion thread. As one would expect there are several kinds of people in every autism thread:

1. The Intellectual/Student/Medical Professional
2. The Autistic/Aspie
3. The Trolls and Aspie Deniers
4. Parents/Family Members
5. The Anti-Vacc
6. The Ignorant
7. The Light-Hearted Joker

1s go there often but say little. 2s defend themselves. 3s aren't worth anyone's time. 4s can get defensive, but most learn a lot from the 1s and 2s. 5s are just nutty. 6s really haven't had much personal experience w/friends or family and they make statements based on popular news opinion. These people are often ones who are pleasantly surprised by what I write. 7s are sometimes hard to identify, but when I realize they mean no harm, I laugh at a good Rain Man reference or two.

I'm both a 2 and a 4. I write a lot there and it is getting noticed. Twice now I've been sponsored for a month's worth of a paid account (Total Fark) for my comments in the autism threads. I figure, it's best to write where my words will do the most good. I could write more here, but most of what I'd say would already be known to the community.

In this way, the only way I know how at this point in my life, I'm doing my best to put out my PSA (of sorts) in these forums hoping one day the message will catch on. I posted a link to Ari's "No Myths" site in my last discussion thread. I hope he got some hits from that.

Someday I'll be able to have a more formal forum to continue my mission of advocacy, but I'm horrible at networking and don't know the first place to start. Until then, I'll just keep on writing.

kamikaze_penguin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jun 2009, 3:54 am

I volunteer to punch McCarthy in the face. I'm told I have a wicked arm. As for the PSAs, I agree with whoever said that we should use magazines, maybe some billboards, or even web advertising to debunk incorrect views of the autistic community. And t-shirts. We definitely need t-shirts....let's take Autism Speaks and general ignorance head on and kick some tail!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 9:45 pm

I volunteer to assist in any efforts to bring down Autism Speaks
on its big, fat feet. Ignorance against autism won't go away but it will gradually.

We should start PSAs using all the means we have.
Creating PSAs will go one small step at a time.

Main reason why we can't get PSAs on TV/Radio: NO Credibility!

kamikaze_penguin

04 Jun 2009, 6:12 am

Having the love of physical altercation that I do, I vote for the creation of an autistic/aspie militia to just storm the Austism Speaks headquarters. All we would need is a bunch of people and someone whose area of special, near obsessive interest is military tactics and weaponry. It would be cheaper than PSAs and a lot more fun.

Or, if we wished to avoid jail time, how about a really big protest, or has this already happened and I just missed it?

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 6:02 pm

Warsie wrote:
BlackjackGabbiani wrote:
Where are our leaders? Why aren't we exposing lies in areas other than small videos on Youtube? Where are our magazine ads? Where are our interviews on Oprah?

I've been trying to get some channers to counter her anti-pedo BS. Sent her a submission idea and all. We should all submit stuff to her show speaking of that.

EDIT: the point of the above post was if I can't get channers to do it/have a hard time with it it seems to be hard....or ntot!

We need a *chan for autistic people!

Hurr NYPA.

I-ron_Man
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jun 2009, 7:25 am

kamikaze_penguin wrote:
Having the love of physical altercation that I do, I vote for the creation of an autistic/aspie militia to just storm the Austism Speaks headquarters. All we would need is a bunch of people and someone whose area of special, near obsessive interest is military tactics and weaponry. It would be cheaper than PSAs and a lot more fun.

Haha, well said, just what i was thinking!

kamikaze_penguin

06 Jun 2009, 3:29 am

Alright. So far that's two people for the Aspie Army. Who else wants to step up? Don't be wussies!! ! I want a flamethrower included in our arsenal, since they're freaking LEGAL!

I still want t-shirts. Every cause needs one.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 10:12 pm

We need a PSA pro for people to listen. Sonic?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5QxCW2Xa_0[/youtube]

orngjce223
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Jun 2009, 12:21 pm

I've snagged myself a spot on a tiny little place nobody's ever heard of. Watch the Factoids space on http://bbag.org/ccradio - someone's hosting them for me, but that's me talking and recording the Quickie Factoids, for the specific audience of a particular Internet radio station with a something-like-200-person listenership. I started with some relatively non-controversial stuff (well yes, obviously). Eventually I'm inching into the AS-awareness arena (but then it'll be a separate series, not a Factoid series).