Veteran

21 Nov 2006, 4:54 pm

^ A-freakin-men.

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2006, 8:10 pm

If that helps you feel good.

Personally I think the similarities like this are skin deep. All of those references, however sarcastic, are all really quite similar people.

Conciousness is expressed in countless forms, otherwise you wouldn't even have an opinion different to mine, otherwise we wouldn't be able to learn from each other.

If we were all meant to be exactly the same, sexual reproduction wouldn't exist.

Progress is made by mankind in science, thought, etc, through certain people that dare to think different.

I wouldn't dare presume to know the mind of any other human, though I could maybe guess some of their feelings, desires, and actions.

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2006, 8:17 pm

Additional:

Yes most people don't want individuality, yes most fit into the herd.

Most people would fit your definition of "same s**t different day"

However I can guarantee you will meet people you don't understand.

I can guarantee you will find people that don't fit a category unless you force yourself to see them in the most shallow way possible.

Yes I'm white, male, early 20's... This is nothing to do with my personality really, its my thoughts, how I share them, and what I do with them, that makes me, me.

Hazelwudi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2006, 3:54 am

The analysis isn't shallow at all, it's all that's left after society and conformity have obliterated everything else. I would imagine it is difficult for most people on this board to understand, but the overwhelming majority of humans have deep-seated emotional needs to "fit in and be normal."

I've watched little babies and toddlers... they are generally not "same s**t different day". People aren't born that way. At some point in the lifespan though, they become that way. This rewriting is so extensive that by the time they are teenagers, the overwhelming majority of the human race have been reduced to little more than animated archetypes of one category or another.

I watch for those who have somehow managed to escape this, I've watched for years. But even in the overwhelming majority of those cases, they might not seem to fit into a category at first... but closer examination reveals they do.

For example, suppose there's a guy. He's in his late twenties or early thirties. He's seemingly educated, but lazy. In spite of that laziness, he's somehow managed to get a fairly decent white collar job. He's got a serious sense of entitlement, and he likes expensive cars, clothes, wines, food, etc. He likes to put on airs that he's better than everyone else. He's never been married, or had children. He has had so many heterosexual conquests that his heterosexuality cannot be reasonably debated.

He seems at first glance to be a break from category, right?

Well, you focus on him because he seems to be a break from category and you wonder how he managed to escape it. Over the course of the next few months, you discover that he's the "black sheep" of an affluent family. He was afforded a reasonably good education, but never really applied himself. He was born in a family with money, so this is why he has the sense of entitlement, the expensive tastes, the elitism, and the food snobbery. He's been catered to all his life, explaining why he's too focused on his own whims of the moment and hedonistic to settle down. Although his parents finally cut him off, they couldn't stand the thought of one of the family flipping burgers or running a register for a living, so they used their connections to get him his job.

Unique? Hardly. Just a subtype of rich as*hole, and I've known at least a dozen people exactly like him.

I know it's a comforting thought to think that people are unique, but the overwhelming majority of them are anything but. Once you've got a solid grasp of a few dozen common types, you are able to predict the actions and reactions of the overwhelming majority of people around you... and you'll be right far more often than not.

Last edited by Hazelwudi on 22 Nov 2006, 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hazelwudi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2006, 4:06 am

White, male, early 20's... do you truly think that your demographics coupled with your culture does not in fact have a great deal to do with your personality, your thoughts, and your world view? ROFL... I hate to say it, but that's naive at best.

Would you have the same views you do now and be the same person, if you'd have been raised by a poor Asian family in Chinatown? What if you were native american and raised on a reservation? What if you were the son of a rich black athlete? What if you were one of the sons of Prince Charles? What if you were a black girl who was raised in a "ghetto" in Detroit? What if you were the son of a coal miner and a waitress, and grew up in the hills of Eastern Kentucky?

Yes, in all these cases, your thoughts, priorities, world view, beliefs, values, and so on would be very different from what they are now, due to the vastly different pressure, culture, subculture, experience, and expectations on you.

To deny that is really nothing more than ego masturbation... "My inner self is so strong that nothing affects it hahahah, oh I'm so SPECIAL!!' And if I had a dime for every time I've seen that sentiment, rendered all the more hilarious by its complete and total irony...

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2006, 6:26 am

Well of course it contributes, but it doesn't define it.

I can predict the behaviours of most of the sheep too.

That is why I place more significance on those that choose to be what they are, I find I'm a baby inside emotionally, this isn't all too common in itself.

Besides that the way my creativity comes out is part of what makes me, me.

I wasn't saying I'm SO special, I was saying I am what I am.

I wasn't saying environment plays no part, I was saying knowing all those aspects about someone won't tell you how their mind works.

I re-read my post and I see how you can view it as me trying to show off, boost my ego, or say I am not influenced by anything around me. But this is simply not what I was saying, my point was that these factors do not define me, they play a part.

Yes I only have one path, but I choose how I see it. Yes I have weaknesses and strengths, but they are mine alone and no others, if someone has the same, they will never think the same exact thoughts about them as me, they will never create exactly what I find most joy in.

Individuality, is different than saying "I'm the best".

I simply refuse to say "everyone is the same s**t"

Yeh we all f*****g suck, so do something about it and be yourself, if you can see it, there is no excuse to bark the same as everyone else.

Because really trying to fit in, and giving up and saying we're all identical, are the same thing.

I must add this on:

Did I call you shallow? If I did I'm sorry, I truly didn't intend that in the message.. I was just being over-critical it seems. I must tell you I do love a good debate :D

Also:

I'm not comforted by uniqueness, what feels best of all is being myself, and connecting, or sharing with someone!

Last edited by Scintillate on 22 Nov 2006, 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2006, 6:27 am

Hazelwudi wrote:
[a few] people are unique, but the overwhelming majority... are anything but.

Well, yes, that's by definition isn't it. Only in Lake Woebegone are all the children above average.
Sorry to butt into your vibrant discussion with my trivial comment. :)

- Emerson

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 7:21 am

I'd challenge people to find anyone really like me. Nobody really knows me. Part of the reason my colleagues feel a bit funny about me is that I don't fit into any particular pigeonhole. One lady said I was "stuck in the 70's" and others probably think I'm a child in an adult's body.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon