Home-shool has screwed up my life.

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2005, 1:49 pm

um, 171NY, that was an uncalled for remark.

I'm much rather someone ask questions then remain in the dark. On anything. And in this particular case, it wasn't even a "dumb" question.

Please consider editing it before a moderator has to step in. Your post is in direct conflict with this site's condition of use policies.

171NewYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2005, 4:45 pm

I just thought it was obvious, that is all...and my AS makes me hyper sometimes. :(

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2005, 8:49 pm

171NewYork wrote:
Space Case, are you that dumb or what? :x

Hey,you remember that I have AS and I don't always know what peopel are talking about.There is no need for name calling.And besides I am plenty smart,smart enough to get straight A's and write books and music!

Kitsune
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Apr 2005, 9:40 pm

On the homeschool front, I'm with you there. My mother and I butt heads almost every day.

First off, it is ILLEGAL to force someone into a religious class. Tell your mother to stop if you don't share the same beliefs. I would still suggest checking out the religion she's talking about for yourself-WITHOUT her guidance.

Secondly, did you document what happened to you on a day by day basis? If you did I suggest e-mailing IEPjanet via cox dot net and explaining it. Tell her Chris sent you. She'll be able to help you most likely.

Thirdly, public schools are not a good place to be if you are a person with disability. You will have zero tolerance for anything you do wrong, even if other kids get away with it, because you're disabled and they want to put you in a small classroom so they can keep the tax money from you attending coming in without working.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2005, 4:40 am

Hold on a minute before calling the authorities.

In most states, a homeschool is defined as a private school and as such, private school can require religion classes. As long as the school follows the perscribed definition of either a private school or a homeschool depending on state law, it does not matter if religion is required or not.

Homeschool laws in states vary, from New York which defines a homeschool and has very strict requirements to Wisconsin which lumps homeschools with private schools and just requires the basics.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

magic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2005, 9:20 am

I have split religion-related posts to a separate thread in the "Politics, Philosophy, and Religion" forum. Here's the link: http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=31314

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2005, 9:50 pm

danlo wrote:
Are you kidding? Home schooling was the best years of my life...
Too bad you had a bad experience, it can be fun with the right mother :)

LOL I hope my kids think I'm "the right mother." I think they do, because none of them ever asked to go back to public school. :D

Just finished up our 11th year of homeschooling in PA...

Laureanne
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jun 2005, 12:13 pm

171NewYork,
Your mother can take them to due process. This is a legal step in which a hearing officer listens to both sides and comes to a determination as to what should happen next.
I work with kids who have behavioral difficulties . I'm a family advocate. I work with a few kids who are now in a day treatment program. This is a regents bound class with a theraputic component. They have a councilor right in the building that teams up with the classroom teacher. I have seen lots of success with this type of program for kids .
Are you from NY? I live in Upstae NY by Poughkeepsie. I would be willing to help you with you would like. Just email me.
Laure :D