Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2005, 10:52 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2005, 1:16 am

there are other options, neo...

i'm in a safe labour seat, so i have no compunction to vote "labour" (hahahaha - since when has "labour" supposed to mean centre, and i'm not even sure they're even centre left). i've always lived in constituencies where there were large majorities, and so i've always voted Green. if we continue sodding up the planet as we are now, issues such as immigration, the NHS and education will be a bit meaningless, when we're digging melanomas out of our heads whilst trying to swim across norfolk (not that i'm a huge fan of norfolk), just to give two examples. and their policies on education, health, etc etc make logical and practical sense, unlike some of the others.

in your case, neotopian, i'd probably go for the lib dems - their policies are a bit more radical, and seem to address issues more fairly - i can't cry for the 25% of people who will be slightly worse off (with a double income) if the poll tax becomes a local income tax. anyway, voting tory does not enter my head, ever. and watch out for the parties who actually address "women's issues" - they tend to be the ones who look at issues of sexuality, disability, race, etc. as well. the greens are good for that, and so are the lib dems (gods, i sound like a canvasser).

i have been a tactical voter. it infuriates me that i have had to be - with the "first past the post" system, a lot of people vote to stop someone getting in, rather than for who they want to. i know people who have to vote labour to stop the tories getting in, when they want to vote green. bring on PR, you buggers! are the lib dems still in favour of PR? freedom of choice - pah! gods help us if the ridiculous college system gets in (or whatever the american version is called).

i dislike seeing the BNP having a platform anywhere. having had first hand experience of them - i was very active in the campaign to stop them getting a seat in the Isle of Dogs in east London, in the 1993 (i think) local election - they are scum.

you could always vote for Jaffa Man - Kilroy Silk is such a joke, if it wasn't for the fact that some idiots WILL vote for him. people, eh?

here endeth the political advice. btw - if i call you "Neo", can i be Trinity? please? pleeease? all that PVC... drool

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2005, 8:51 am

Antieverything, if you lived in many inner city areas I'd doubt you'd be saying that. It is a big problem for many people; that's nothing to do with racism, it's to do with cultures, religions and languages. Many of the indigenous population feel like they're living in a foreign country: if you walk down the High Street and everyone's speaking a foreign tongue and dressed in clothes from far off lands, it's understandable you'd be a little miffed. And that's what it's like, I've only got to take a 20 minute drive to see it.

We do need labour from overseas, at present; but, why give them citizenship? What happens to all these new citizens when Gordon Browns "economic miracle" comes unravelled? Where does it all end? Isn't our Island already overcrowded? Isn't our infrastructure barely able to cope with the current population? This leads on to what Sean's mentioned: Islam. We face very real dangers from this religion. Not, necessarily because of the religion per se, but because of the nature of the countries in which it is practised. Despotic states whose hierarchy use religion as one of the many methods of control and abuse. (as Christianity has been used, too, historically; though, watered down now somewhat to reflect 21st century Western culture). We bring this religion to our country, along with the intolerance and bigotry of those foreign cultures.

Anyway, check this out, regarding immigration.

And this, regarding Islam (some interesting stuff Sean, if you dig around some of the old articles)

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2005, 10:15 am

Sean wrote:
It sounds to me like the BNP could be reformed to create a society similar to what I would consider ideal in the US.

I can't believe anyone would even jokingly talk about voting BNP.... and to want to build a socirty around their beliefs and policies..... I hope to hell you were just joking :evil: The US is more than welcome to them, believe me.....

Sad though it is to say, I think restrictions on immigration are becoming nevessary however..... The infusion of foreign cultures and peoples (and food :)) into our own has been almost exclusively beneficial in the past, but...... My own thoughts and feelings on Islam are well documented elsewhere, so I won't bother ranting on that one again. Suffice to say, the irritating political kid-gloves must come off to deal with the extreme end of that godforsaken faith and the incalculable harm it could do us all if continually pandered to and left unchecked..... If fascism is indeed the only solution to fight back against fascism, then I must reluctantly subscribe to it....

As for voting Green: In an ideal world I'd love to, but we don't inhabit such a place.... We exist in a shallow, stage-managed approximation of "democracy", so have to make-do with the least bad of the available bad options. Voting green or similar will never achieve anything, sadly, so I choose the pragmatic course and vote Labour - the nearest thing to my mindset amongst the 2.5 available "practical" voting options.... I don't think PR would improve things either, but that's another discussion.

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2005, 10:48 am

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2005, 11:12 am

vetivert wrote:
gods help us if the ridiculous college system gets in (or whatever the american version is called).

The Electoral College, and liberals and conservatives only complain about it when their respective canidate dosen't get elected.

From my perspective England isn't geographically large enough for the Electoral College system to be the most effective way to pick leaders.
I'd tend to think that Direct Democracy would work much better.

Neon_Knight
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 May 2005, 12:03 pm

Sean wrote:
The militancy of the UK musllims is known areound the world. Their numbers are growing and their are politically active factions that want to make England an Islamic State. The writing is on the wall that they will be an extremely big problem if it's not addressed soon. All of this is evident from more than 8,000 miles away.

That's a gross overexageration. The media wants us the think that is the case but it's not realistic. The only group that wants to turn Britain into an islamic state is the one led by Abu Hamza (a former nightclub bouncer!). But he's a village idiot followed by a few uneducated, alienated youths. They get the most disproportionate amount of media attention, especially by the likes of tabloids such as the Daily Mail for their own anti-immigration agenda.

HT is also another major group but they believe in setting up an islamic state in muslim countries only, by persuading people to overthrow their tyrant regimes.

Personally, I have no problem with Islam. There is a lot of good in it that could revitalise our own country which has lost its moral ground.

And most muslims here are good, hardworking decent people who believe in strong family values.

neotopian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 May 2005, 1:19 pm

OK, so the vote is tomorrow and while this thread has drifted a bit, into discussing a party that isn't even standing here.... I have to make my descision.

Vetivert AKA Trinity (apparently) wrote:
there are other options, neo...

in your case, neotopian, i'd probably go for the lib dems - their policies are a bit more radical, and seem to address issues more fairly - i can't cry for the 25% of people who will be slightly worse off (with a double income) if the poll tax becomes a local income tax. anyway, voting tory does not enter my head, ever.

Nor me usually, its only tthe local candidates work on AS that makes me consider it

Trinity (apparently) wrote:
bring on PR, you buggers! are the lib dems still in favour of PR?

Yes they are. In the past I have thought of voting Green, and their views are fairly close to my own, but the eletoral system means they haven't got a hope. In fact it seems to me that a LibDem vote would be the best thing for a green as it would help bring pressure (esp in a hung parliament) for a PR system and a real voice for greens.

Trinity wrote:
i dislike seeing the BNP having a platform anywhere. having had first hand experience of them - i was very active in the campaign to stop them getting a seat in the Isle of Dogs in east London, in the 1993 (i think) local election - they are scum.

Good Work!!

Trinity wrote:
you could always vote for Jaffa Man - Kilroy Silk is such a joke, if it wasn't for the fact that some idiots WILL vote for him. people, eh?

have you read his party manifesto?
he has much akin to other far right parties

Trinity wrote:
here endeth the political advice. btw - if i call you "Neo", can i be Trinity? please? pleeease? all that PVC... drool

Oh go on then. (though I dont know why).

though the PVC is ........ how shall I put this..........

VERY INTERESTING! 8O

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2005, 6:54 pm

I am politically a Green, and tomorrow will be voting Labour. :?

The Greens aren't standing in Keighley, but the contemptible sh*tbag Nick Griffin is for the BNP.:evil: (Oh by the way ascan, I do live in a deprived 'inner city' area with a large Muslim population, and I don't have a problem with immigration, or most of my Pakistani/Bangladeshi/Caribbean/etc neighbours and acquaintances for that matter) I usually vote LibDem where they have a shot at getting in, however Keighley constituency is a Lab/Con marginal (thanks to all the Tories in Ilkley :() and Ann Cryer is a hardworking, left wing and anti-war MP who I don't have to hold my nose while voting for.

Dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2005, 5:00 am

duncvis wrote:
(Oh by the way ascan, I do live in a deprived 'inner city' area with a large Muslim population, and I don't have a problem with immigration, or most of my Pakistani/Bangladeshi/Caribbean/etc neighbours and acquaintances for that matter)

Well, that's jolly good duncvis. However, many people do have problems in certain areas. It is an issue and those who are concerned are justified and do raise valid arguments against further immigration.

Anyway, I'm sure TAFKASH will be pleased to hear that I couldn't bring myself to vote BNP. I think their views on guns, national service, mixed race marriages, non-european people in general, and homosexuals is just a little too right-wing for me. But, they do provide food for thought on certain issues.

In fact, I didn't bother voting. They're all a bunch of self-serving scumbags, and to be perfectly honest I've never really felt part of the "sytem", anyway, so why bother?

neotopian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2005, 8:15 am

Well, the day is here and I about to head for the polling station and cast my vote.

I think I will go for Lib Dem.

The discussion on the BNP in this thread has convinced me that voting Tory, and tacitly supporting the distastful campaign stance they have made on the issue of Immigration and thier underhand linking of it to Asylum, is not something I can do.

I'm of to make my "X" now.

I'll be dragging along my neighbour.

Today is his 18th Birthday, so he is one of the youngest voters in this election.

Neon_Knight

05 May 2005, 6:04 pm

I didn't get to vote today. I couldn't get out because of the pain my guts are in.

I'd have probably voted Libdems as a tactical vote.

Although I like the idea of BNP's idea of gun ownership (which I could have used to go chav hunting), I still wouldn't vote for the idiots. Being in a mixed race marriage being one reason I wouldn't vote for them.

neotopian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2005, 8:51 am

For those who are interested

I voted Lib Dem.

The Tory won.

I have decided to view this as "I win either way", if the Lib Dem had won I'd have the general politics I wanted on the rise, but as the Tory won at least thee is an Aspie advocate in parliament.

So the dance of democracy is over in the UK for another 4 or 5 years

Though how a 37% share of the vote for Labour can become a 55% share of the seats in the commons can hardly be called democracy is streatching the definition in my opinion.
Its the lowest share of the popular vote to gain a majority for any party since......well since this actually was a democracy!

(for the election nerds out there (and I am among them) since the Reform act of 1832, as reported on BBC coverage)

vetivert AKA Trinity wrote:
btw - if i call you "Neo", can i be Trinity? please? pleeease? all that PVC... drool

after checking with "friends" I now get this as a ref to "the Matrix" ...... I really must get round to watching those movies.
Sorry Vetivert/Trinity/morgvis/the woman with too many names, I get it now :oops:

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2005, 5:57 pm

The forces of (comparative) righteousness have triumphed yet again!! !! The forces of (relative) evil lie trampled in their wake!! !! !! We can all sleep (fairly) safe and sound in our beds for another 5 years!! !! ! Let us all (moderately) rejoice!! !! !! :)

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2005, 6:31 pm

Well. Least Vampire Man has resigned :D

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2005, 6:35 pm

BlackLiger wrote:
Well. Least Vampire Man has resigned :D

Nooooooooo!! !! !! !! He was the best thing the Labour Party had going for it...... :cry: God please..... John Redwood as successor..... Please, please, please, please, ple-e-e-e-ease, nobody good!! !! !!