Page 3 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2023, 11:58 am

I got a notification for this. Looks normal.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2023, 12:02 pm

One thing to note: I deleted all the cookies and login and history for this site when all that was going on. That may or may not be why I can see notifications. ???

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2023, 12:40 pm

Nades wrote:
mrpieceofwork wrote:
I used to think LOL meant "Lots Of Love"

Here's a bunch I like to string together to show I'm being kinda sarcastic/silly "oh jfc rufkm gdi smdh ffs gtfoh gfy" ;)

I find it amusing how "lol" can have two completely different meanings.

Daughter - "Mum, I broke my neck and I might be paralyzed for life"

Mum - "Oh god, I didn't realise the accident was that bad. We'll all be at the hospital now lol"

Anyway. I hope I'm right in assuming the notification problem isn't related to the recent intrusion.

LOL is the old abbreviation for "Lots of love".

When my grandmother dies my cousins wife sent a text to her son who was in school that said "Grans died LOL".
He thought his Mum had gone nuts putting LOL as to him it meant laugh out loud.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2023, 1:20 pm

I never have alerts activated here either, because I hate being bombarded with emails (unless it's from a friend but that's not really bombarding).
I just check my most recent posts then check each subforum that I visit the most to see if there's anything new.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Jun 2023, 3:19 pm

Nades wrote:
Anyway. I hope I'm right in assuming the notification problem isn't related to the recent intrusion.
It's been steadily getting worse over the past few months.
Once upon a time updates came in thick and fast but now I'm lucky to get anything at all.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Jun 2023, 3:26 pm

mrpieceofwork wrote:
One thing to note: I deleted all the cookies and login and history for this site when all that was going on. That may or may not be why I can see notifications. ???
Unlikely, I think, because it's a site account option retained on your account and shouldn't therefore require cookies.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2023, 6:40 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Nades wrote:
Once upon a time updates came in thick and fast but now I'm lucky to get anything at all.

Have you checked your spam folder?

If they aren't in your personal spam folder, it's also possible that your email provider or your Internet provider is rejecting WP notifications as spam, somewhere upstream.

Given that this site hasn't been updated in a long time, it is probably years out of date regarding the endless cat-and-mouse game between spammers and legitimate automatically-sent email. The messages might lack some required headers, for example.

(I don't have the details handy, but I do know that email systems have gotten fussier and fussier about various required headers.)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

21 Jun 2023, 6:58 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Nades wrote:

Have you checked your spam folder?
Oh please... :roll:

Quote:
If they aren't in your personal spam folder, it's also possible that your email provider or your Internet provider is rejecting WP notifications as spam, somewhere upstream.
They're not.
Same provider, same local setup - notifications reliably arrived, quickly, sometimes with intermittent patchy delivery but usually resuming normality soon after. Over the past few months it's been getting steadily worse.

Quote:
Given that this site hasn't been updated in a long time, it is probably years out of date regarding the endless cat-and-mouse game between spammers and legitimate automatically-sent email. The messages might lack some required headers, for example.
Nothing to do with legit mail from WP - or indeed any mail with WP headers || source || subject(s) sent to me, even if they were being spoofed (none to date). I also spend a good deal of my time here monitoring new member registrations for trolls/spammers and other likely miscreants.
How would the lack of site updates have any impact on spammers operating independently and externally to WP? :scratch:

Quote:
(I don't have the details handy, but I do know that email systems have gotten fussier and fussier about various required headers.)
My mail server isn't (although it probably should) - I get to see everything hitting my borders.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 7:20 am

Does anyone know if Enviro is OK? I've PM'd him about a week ago and he hasn't been here since, as my message is still sitting in outbox. Just wondering if he's OK.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 7:30 am

Cornflake wrote:
Nades wrote:

It's been like that for about a year for me now.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

21 Jun 2023, 8:03 am

Joe90 wrote:
Does anyone know if Enviro is OK? I've PM'd him about a week ago and he hasn't been here since, as my message is still sitting in outbox. Just wondering if he's OK.
He often has connection/power issues. Last I heard from him he was doing Ok.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

21 Jun 2023, 8:04 am

Nades wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Nades wrote:
It's been like that for about a year for me now.
Ah, good - well not good, but it's nice to know I'm not alone with this.
I've told Alex about the issue.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 8:17 am

Cornflake wrote:
How would the lack of site updates have any impact on spammers operating independently and externally to WP? :scratch:

I'm not talking about "spammers operating independently and externally to WP." I'm talking about the possibility of routine email notifications from WP itself being automatically rejected as spam.

My partner and I are a team of work-from-home programmers. For the past 8 years, our main client has been a small medical lab that does remote heart monitoring. Among other things, our system sends various automatic emails and text messages to patients and doctors. Every now and then, the automatic emails and/or text messages suddenly stop working. Often this turns out to be due to some emerging new requirement as to what headers must be in an email message in order for it to be deemed valid by the major email providers, SMS gateways, etc.

One specific thing to check: Whether DNS lookup is consistent with reverse DNS lookup for all domains mentioned in outgoing message headers.

There are also various other possible email header issues for which I don't remember the details offhand. (My partner is the one who usually handles issues of this kind, and he's not here at the moment.)

Cornflake wrote:
Quote:
My mail server isn't (although it probably should) - I get to see everything hitting my borders.

How did you know it didn't suddenly get fussier? Do you personally own the mail server? If so, do you never update its software?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 8:44 am

Cornflake wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
He often has connection/power issues. Last I heard from him he was doing Ok.

That's all that matters.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

21 Jun 2023, 9:14 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
I'm not talking about "spammers operating independently and externally to WP." I'm talking about the possibility of routine email notifications from WP itself being automatically rejected as spam.
But they're not.

Quote:
My partner and I are a team of work-from-home programmers. For the past 8 years, our main client has been a small medical lab that does remote heart monitoring. Among other things, our system sends various automatic emails and text messages to patients and doctors. Every now and then, the automatic emails and/or text messages suddenly stop working. Often this turns out to be due to some emerging new requirement as to what headers must be in an email message in order for it to be deemed valid by the major email providers, SMS gateways, etc.
Yes. Not having control over external systems can sometimes cause unexpected issues.

Quote:
One specific thing to check: Whether DNS lookup is consistent with reverse DNS lookup for all domains mentioned in outgoing message headers.
That can be a cause for mail delivery failures, sure - but it's not a reason for mail to not be delivered on my system. As said, it probably should be.

Anyway, the issue has been reported to Alex for investigation.

Quote:
Cornflake wrote:
Quote:
How did you know it didn't suddenly get fussier? Do you personally own the mail server? If so, do you never update its software?
Yes, it's my personal email sever and rejected/undeliverable/etc mail is logged.
I've never known any software to "suddenly get fussier" - that would imply some sort of update/tweaking had happened, but I'm the only one able to do that on my system.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 9:23 am

I have just subscribed to this thread to see if I get a notification, wil let you know.