Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2005, 9:39 am

I'm not exactly in favor of censorship either.
But we should ask ourselves as a society,
why do we find violence so entertaining?
Couldn't we replace it with some better alternatives?
And why do we find everyday life so boring and frustrating?
Is there something we are missing?

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2005, 5:59 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2005, 6:32 pm

Wow, You've made some excellent points.
I like the tax credit idea, but there would need to be some required education, not just credit for voting. Too many ignorant people voting as it is I think.

The citizens would then have the option of taking on more responsibility, and would be compensated as employees of the state.

As for education, I think we do waste an awful lot of time and money trying to make poets out of plumbers.
Ideally the opportunities should be open to all, lifelong. So if the plumber decides he would prefer poetry, he can go back to school.

I believe education is in societies best interest, therefore it should be offered at no cost to the individual who approaches it studiously.

There might be some problems with dividing people up at such an early age. Interesting thoughts though .

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2005, 7:02 pm

OK, I admit it I killed him it was me, those kids being trialled are innocent!

Seriously, I don't see the sense in trialing kids as adults. I mean, shouldn't they just change the way they trial the kids? It just sounds so much like bending a rule here.

As far as video games/movies go, I hate people who blame them for these cases. Millions of people play these games and don't get violent. So for a kid to turn violent from these you have to ask what the difference is in the kids case. So what you should do is work out how to solve these kids problems, you dont just toughen up on censorship laws at the expense of everyone else who didn't do anything wrong. Any harm these things can do can only be indirect and there will always be a more direct cause: ie. ignorance to the childs problems etc.

And also, even if you do think it's worth it interfering with innocent people's rights, I mean what about things like the weapons, I remember many people blaming games etc. for the school shooting yet they don't do a friggin thing about the guns. At least they're proven to kill people, unlike video games.

IMO censorship is a necessary evil, which is why I support a liberal censorship system, but even that's only necessary because we live in a screwed up society. In a perfect world people of any age could view what they want and not be violent. Some might laugh at that now, but many years ago people would laugh at the idea of allowing the word 'bloody' to be heard publicly, look how far we've come since then.

I'm not saying these things affect people, of course they do, but everything we experience in life affects people, that's part of life. I hate it when people blame indirect things because they can't be responsible for their own actions.

And as a videogame obsessed nerd, this is one of my strongest views, as I hate having my rights interfered because of other people's ignorance.

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2005, 7:19 pm

Apparently in one of the kids' scribblings they found a page in which he declared that the DC area sniper was his "idol" because he had killed so many people and no one had caught him yet.
This was the younger of the two, who has agreed to testify for the prosecution against his older friend as a plea-bargain.

Where does a kid get this sort of idea? How would he come to the conclusion that such a thing is admirable?

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2005, 12:02 am

my point exactly, spacemonkey.

and great points, antieverything (but then i would say that, wouldn't i?)

AND - what a great thread - serious, thoughtful discussion about a controversial issue, without any flaming, personal attacks or opinions based on ignorance or bigotry. how refreshing.

well done us!

SineWave
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2005, 1:17 am

Quote:
Where does a kid get this sort of idea?

From the DC sniper obviously. Or more precisley, from the 24 hour news coverage of violent acts. Blood-lusting (American) news channels are part of the desensitization problem, I think.

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2005, 11:49 pm

Look, these ideas have to start somewhere, so it's possible they thought them up in their own head.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2005, 12:33 am

Prevention would be the most effective tactic. But how to do it is the problem. The thing is: most people just don't care. At least, not enough to get off the couch. I have no doubt I'd be included in that, unfortunately.

I think education is an excellent first defense. Such undesirable behavior can never be eradicated. But a better education could help lessen the growing problem. I don't have a lot of personal experience with poor education, and I am lucky for that. I once spoke to a an African-American gentleman who had lived in the St. Louis innner city his whole life. He spoke of the bussing programs of which he was a part. He said that he was bussed out on certain days to a suburban public school. He told me how wonderful it was compared to his neighborhood school where there were gun shots ringing past the school every single day. He said the other school was heaven to him. And I felt so sorry for him, because I'm sure I would have found that suburban school in contrast to the schools I had gone to disappointing and dissatisfying. It says a lot how lucky I have been. And it shows how different one world can be.

He was so grateful to have gotten the opportunity to go to that insignificant school just two or three times a week. I'm so lucky. Education could do so much.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/