Veteran

16 Feb 2007, 3:05 am

Battle Royale

That's all I have to say.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2007, 9:45 am

I say that if you're old enough to be taxed, then you're old enough to vote. "Taxation without representation" and such.

Don't worry about me, though. I'd just "waste" my vote on a third party. :wink:

Last edited by DejaQ on 20 Feb 2007, 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 9:43 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
charlesbronstein wrote:
Most adults are just as apathetic and uninformed as children so why not?Liberal democracy is overated.....Like Tequila said you're just voting for mediocrity.

Most adults thankfully do not vote, the only thing is that children have a greater likelihood of not being informed than the average adult and as such I see no reason to extend to them the right to vote. To be honest, I would not mind restrictions on voting in order to require that voters have some knowledge on how the world works, the issue with that ends up being to easily corruption and enforcing a status quo. I do take solace in the fact that the voting public is smarter than the public at large.

Only because the United States of America, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and some other nations do not have compulsory voting. Some do not have voting at all. Admittedly the Exclusive Brethren here in Australia apparently find exemptions to this rule. Of course the results of democratic election are not invariably encouraging, but it is probably slightly safer than hereditary succession or coup d'etat as a means of appointing legislative or executive authorities.

How would you rate: Athenian democracy between Cleisthenes and Pericles, the Roman Republic, constitutional monarchies with some form of parliamentrary democracy, centralised republics like France, Federal Republics like the United States of America, and "people's democratic republics" (Communist totalitarian oligarchies/sometimes autocracies)? They all have serious flaws, but with a little tweaking I believe a combined system may be able to usher in the righteous collective reign of the Aspergians - though many of us will of course dissent. I would probably join them after a while, apologise, and go into voluntary exile.

And yes, there is a jest somewhere in there.

Children voting? I remain undecided.

Last edited by AlexandertheSolitary on 19 Feb 2007, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 9:44 pm

paulsinnerchild wrote:
If children above the age of 12 can pass a test of political knowledge first then why not?
Many of them many have a better knowledge of the political situation than many adults.

Probably true.

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 10:14 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Definitely not! They lack experience, they lack knowledge, they lack understanding, they lack just about all characteristics on average that a good voter is supposed to have.
Roman wrote:
True, children might not be as knowledgeable as adults are, but at the same time adults are blinded by biases that children don't have yet.
To claim that children do not have bias and cannot be manipulated by pretty rhetoric is overlooking the nature of children, children will tend more strongly towards idealism and radical change than adults with less understanding of how or why things work the way that they do, thus making them perhaps more biased in a manner that is more dangerous.[quote} Probably true, but would the results really be that much more catastrophic than current election results? Unless actual legislative power was granted to the children and other citizens, ie plebiscites or referenda on issues now decided by a majority in two houses of parliament or congress, relatively little damage compared to that currently done is probable. And presidential vetoes and the role of the Australian Governor-General as representativce of Elizabeth II in signing bills passed by both Senate and House of Representatives into law should alike be abandoned. The Governor General should be purely ceremonial (little change here) there should be a Presidium Council consisting of a Chancelor, (like Germany and many universities - Britain has both a Lord Chancellor who I think has risen through the judiciary and a Chancellor of the Exchequer, basically a mediaeval title for a treasurer) two Consuls (Ancient Roman and, briefly before Napoleon became Emperor, French sense, not just diplomatic post) with the Senior Consul corresponding to Prime Minister and the junior to Leader of the Opposition, and nine councilors, three deputed from the Senate, three from the House of Representatives and three former judges of distinguished history to be elected by the Popular Assembly (full body of citizens voting in tribes crossing geographic boundaries). The Presidium shall have veto power only over its own members, (that should minimise harm) not over either legislative house. Its authority shall be solely executive, to carry out the joint decisions of the legislative houses and in some instances the Assemblies. Conversely the houses shall have only legislative power and control of boards of inquiry and royal commissions, but outcomes of elections will still give majority parties or coalitions the means of giving a certain flavour to legislation in their terms of office. The Senior and Junior Consuls shall work TOGETHER despite ideological differences, and will work to foster a spirit of bipartisanship or multipartisanship to the best of their lowly abilities. The Presidium will be assisted or, if in the public interest as determined by the Assemblies and both legislative houses acting in concert HINDERED by the usual full bureaucratic apparatus of a Civil Service, (I am not really expecting twelve men to run a country!) members of said service subject to a Probity and Integrity Test at regular intervals, as will all holders of public offices aforementioned. The Chancellor shall be the chairperson of the Presidium, the head of the Treasury, assisted and his decisions scrutinised by those clerks of the Civil Service both skilled in accounting and of proven honesty and courage in confronting malpractice. Transparency must be assured at all levels of government.

Quote:
I think that discrimination of adults against children is similar to discrimination of NT-s against aspies.

This is not an issue of oppression vs democracy, but rather of a working system. Democracy is not necessarily the goal but rather the means of obtaining it, so democratic action can righteously be restricted if it is in the best interests of society.
Quote:
Probably true.
Quote:
Given that aspies are children at heart,
I don't think that this is necessarily true, the average child is not so bitter as I am, nor as bitter as many of the aspies here. We may have childlike characteristics but our pursuit of knowledge and interests seem very not-childlike to me.
I have to agree, to identify adult Aspergians with children is a gross generalisation concerning both categories, though pursuit of knowledge and interest is not inconsitent with childlike curiosity.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 11:27 pm

The results would not likely be better and that alone means that there is no reason to change given that such a change increases the problems we would have to deal with. Allowing these votes changes the criterion upon which the politicians are judged and can impact the election to some extent. This can cause a pull towards the interests of the incredibly idealistic. Like I said, I would prefer that we draw off of less and better than more and worse. I think that adulthood and voting are fine partners as is.

AlexandertheSolitary wrote:
I have to agree, to identify adult Aspergians with children is a gross generalisation concerning both categories, though pursuit of knowledge and interest is not inconsitent with childlike curiosity.

It is inconsistent in that children have diverse interests and aspies have particular ones. I do not consider us childlike, even as children we stuck out as sore thumbs.

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 11:44 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
The results would not likely be better and that alone means that there is no reason to change given that such a change increases the problems we would have to deal with. Allowing these votes changes the criterion upon which the politicians are judged and can impact the election to some extent. This can cause a pull towards the interests of the incredibly idealistic. Like I said, I would prefer that we draw off of less and better than more and worse. I think that adulthood and voting are fine partners as is.

It is inconsistent in that children have diverse interests and aspies have particular ones. I do not consider us childlike, even as children we stuck out as sore thumbs.

I already said that I considered the identification of children with people with Asperger's Syndrome was a gross generalisation. And I accept that my utopian/dystopian system of government is unnecessarily elaborate. Basically there should be a triumvirate of snake321 as Senior Consul, you as Junior Consul and myself as your esteemed Chancellor and we should argue in a subterranean cavern with a decent library and ample space for long time apart from eachother, leaving the Civil Service to get along with carrying out the wishes of the electorate and the legislature. The world will really be run by someone else entirely of course - Anubis.

Yes this argument is degenerating into nonsense. A referendum amongst reasonably intelligent and well-informed twelve to fifteen year olds would probably produce something sounder.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 11:56 pm

I already said that I considered the identification of children with people with Asperger's Syndrome was a gross generalisation. And I accept that my utopian/dystopian system of government is unnecessarily elaborate. Basically there should be a triumvirate of snake321 as Senior Consul, you as Junior Consul and myself as your esteemed Chancellor and we should argue in a subterranean cavern with a decent library and ample space for long time apart from eachother, leaving the Civil Service to get along with carrying out the wishes of the electorate and the legislature. The world will really be run by someone else entirely of course - Anubis.
Ok, so it was not Australian, I did not read your earlier post. I just skimmed through it because a lot of it did not apply to anything I knew. As well, the whole idea of Senior and Junior consuls working together in that case would likely not work for an obvious reason. We already know that snake considers me less than human thus making working impossible. I might end up dissenting considering that think that the divide among Aspergians is a bit too sharp for a working system probably causing a division into a few major groups. Of course, that is looking at only the strongly interested Aspergians who are more likely to have great differences of opinion, however, I see many people lined up on the extremes in a manner not found in the average democratic system.
Quote:
Yes this argument is degenerating into nonsense. A referendum amongst reasonably intelligent and well-informed twelve to fifteen year olds would probably produce something sounder.
I believed in dictatorship around that age so I tend to doubt that.

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 12:20 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Ok, so it was not Australian, I did not read your earlier post. I just skimmed through it because a lot of it did not apply to anything I knew. As well, the whole idea of Senior and Junior consuls working together in that case would likely not work for an obvious reason. We already know that snake considers me less than human thus making working impossible. I might end up dissenting considering that think that the divide among Aspergians is a bit too sharp for a working system probably causing a division into a few major groups. Of course, that is looking at only the strongly interested Aspergians who are more likely to have great differences of opinion, however, I see many people lined up on the extremes in a manner not found in the average democratic system.
Quote:
I believed in dictatorship around that age so I tend to doubt that.

It was really just an elaborate scheme of mine to tie up the executive branch of government while ensuring a (barely) functional state and some form of democracy. Most of the titles for offices are only there because I like the sound of them.

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 12:22 am

And I did not determine who would be in charge of defence. The hypothetical commonwealth would be invaded within a week or less, much to the relief of world leaders.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 12:56 am

It was really just an elaborate scheme of mine to tie up the executive branch of government while ensuring a (barely) functional state and some form of democracy. Most of the titles for offices are only there because I like the sound of them.
Ah, interesting. Ok.
Quote:
And I did not determine who would be in charge of defence. The hypothetical commonwealth would be invaded within a week or less, much to the relief of world leaders.
Meh, whatev.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 1:44 am

I think kids should be allowed to vote. The reason why most kids don't care about the political process is because Constitutional rights don't apply to them, and they know it. So why would any self-respecting child worry about some amendment (for reasons other than passing a class), when they're not even allowed to go outside by themselves. The power to vote will give kids some motivation to get involved politically, because they'll see how the political process is relevant to them.

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 5:53 am

Though interestingly put, no. You have to understand, you must be 18 to sign a contract.
The form for voter's registration IS a contract. Ipso facto, kids shouldn't vote.

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 9:57 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Ah, interesting. Ok.
Quote:
Meh, whatev.

Well it was not entirely arbitrary. I did think that both the forms of the Westminster system followed in Britain and Australia and American-style presidential democracy provided for insufficient separation of powers. I also thought that greater collegiality between parties would be a good thing, though no doubt the conflict and competition is in fact healthy and necessary as a catalyst for change.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 10:02 pm

Well it was not entirely arbitrary. I did think that both the forms of the Westminster system followed in Britain and Australia and American-style presidential democracy provided for insufficient separation of powers. I also thought that greater collegiality between parties would be a good thing, though no doubt the conflict and competition is in fact healthy and necessary as a catalyst for change.

Ok.

Rowan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2007, 1:52 pm

If I may jump in here, a bit late in the thread, I'd like to make a few observations:

1) In America, at least, teens who commit serious crimes can be tried and punished as adults. As long as we do that, it is just to deny the vote to law-abiding ones?

2) If children really don't have enough insight to vote in a meaningful way they will copy their parents' votes or vote randomly. In either case they will cancel each other out and no harm done. If they do have a distinctive point of view as a group, why does it have any less right to be heard than any other?

3) No one suggests taking the vote away from people over a certain age, say 80, even though a good many in that age group are suffering from some degree of dementia. Is "immaturity" any greater a disqualification than "senility?"

4) The specter of political hucksters scrambling for the impressionable "teen vote" might actually be enough to shock us into reforming the whole political campaign process, which has become a national disgrace.