Page 6 of 11 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 10:35 am

Sir Keir Starmer has outlined the five "missions" he will put at the centre of his party's offer to voters at the next election in a speech in Manchester.

He vowed to make the UK the fastest growing major economy by the end of a first Labour term in government.

Making the country a "clean energy superpower" and cutting health inequalities will be other key priorities if the party wins power.

The Labour leader claimed his plan would give Britain "its future back".

The speech was an attempt by Sir Keir to convince voters Labour are a viable alternative government.

The five missions, which Sir Keir said would form "the backbone of the Labour manifesto and the pillars of the next Labour government", include:

Securing the "highest sustained growth" in the G7 group of rich nations, made up of the UK, US, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, and Japan, by the end of Labour's first term
Making Britain a '"clean energy superpower", removing fossil fuels from all of Britain's electricity generation by 2030
Improving the NHS
Reforming the justice system
Raising education standards

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64739371

He's getting a bit cocky talking about a 10 year plan though. Hope he's not going to do a Kinnock and get overconfident and end up on his arse..

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 5:47 am

Rossall wrote:
He's getting a bit cocky talking about a 10 year plan though. Hope he's not going to do a Kinnock and get overconfident and end up on his arse..

I think he's trying to temper expectations rather than assuming Labour are guaranteed a second term. The economic situation they'll inherit is going to be so restrictive that getting much done in the first five years is going to be difficult. Perhaps he's hoping that by talking about 10 years people wont expect too much in the first 5?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Feb 2023, 9:23 am

How quick things can get destructed
How long it takes to build them back

It's a general Nature's law.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 6:01 am

A pessimistic prediction based on past events.

Tories eventually f*** up enough for voters' who excuse their incompetence far more than they excuse any by Labour', to vote them out.

Labour's does its best to clear the mess up, but the voters aren't content with that. Tories regain power, and proceed to f*** things up again.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 6:15 am

The polls are certainly misleading. I've seen some analysis that says despite Labour's apparent insurmountable lead, it isn't based on Conservative voters switching sides, more about Conservative voters switching to "Don't knows". When you look at the socio-economic status of the vast majority of 'don't knows' they tend to be classic Conservative voters. Shy tories as they're becoming known. They won't admit to it now, but come election day it's likely that most will vote the way they always have.

Which isn't to say that Labour won't win, but it may not be the landslide polls currently point to. And it may even be a hung parliament.

And to be honest, I think a hung parliament is the best possible outcome of the next GE, if Labour need to rely on third parties to put a majority together, and if those third parties make PR a condition of their support. Some real change, put the Tories in the ground. Otherwise they'll just be back with more public service cuts in 2029 or 2034.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2023, 12:49 am

The Lib Dems are so low in the polls a hung parliament is less likely. Reform with Farage look likely to eat into the Tory vote so I think a small Labour majority is most likely.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2023, 3:16 am

DuckHairback wrote:
The polls are certainly misleading. I've seen some analysis that says despite Labour's apparent insurmountable lead, it isn't based on Conservative voters switching sides, more about Conservative voters switching to "Don't knows". When you look at the socio-economic status of the vast majority of 'don't knows' they tend to be classic Conservative voters. Shy tories as they're becoming known. They won't admit to it now, but come election day it's likely that most will vote the way they always have.

Which isn't to say that Labour won't win, but it may not be the landslide polls currently point to. And it may even be a hung parliament.

And to be honest, I think a hung parliament is the best possible outcome of the next GE, if Labour need to rely on third parties to put a majority together, and if those third parties make PR a condition of their support. Some real change, put the Tories in the ground. Otherwise they'll just be back with more public service cuts in 2029 or 2034.

I need to go off and look at the data properly but I thought 'red wall' seats had move back to red and the big alarm for the Tories was that 'blue wall' seats in the south has started going yellow?

I have no doubt that the polling now is way out compared to where it will be in the week or two leading up to an election (in Sept/Oct 24 I assume). It will naturally get closer anyway as people take the question more seriously but then add in manifesto's and more solid pledges and finally you have the media piling in behind the Tories, with at least 1 (DM I assume) running some kind of Jimmy Saville story, and it will all get very tight

As long as the Tories are out i don't care who realistically is in

WimKoning
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Feb 2023, 4:15 am

do you guys really trust political parties? do you guys really believe conservative valued people like tories?(I dont)

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2023, 5:55 am

WimKoning wrote:
do you guys really believe conservative valued people like tories?(I dont)

not for even one second

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2023, 12:21 pm

Still looking good for Labour. The latest Yougov has them 25 points ahead. Personally I think the lead is soft and there will be a lib/lab coalition after the next election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_p ... ction#2022

Last edited by Rossall on 28 Jun 2023, 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2023, 12:29 pm

The lead is definitely soft. Labour aren't doing nearly enough to excite people about a potential Labour government. It's really just "We're not the Tories" at the moment. Which may well be enough to squeak them a small majority but I don't think it's going to be the 'new dawn' feeling of '97. I still think a coalition is the best possible outcome, particularly if it includes PR as a condition. Otherwise I suspect we'll have the Tories back after a single Labour term.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Jun 2023, 6:08 pm

The "soft lead" has been holding up for 18 months now.

I agree that people aren't excited about Labour, but they don't really need to be - the Tories have screwed up so badly that basic competence is attractive to voters.

I'm certainly not going to predict 2028 at this stage but it's a long time since an opposition managed to get back in power in a single cycle - last time that happened was the chaos of the 70s. The Tories are such a shambles that it's easy to see them struggling. I suspect their next leader will not be a competent managerial type like Penny Mordaunt, but a wingnut like Suella Braverman who will be repulsive to voters. They'll need to work hard to reset their image and wash away the stench of Johnson/Truss/Sunak, and I don't think they're in the right sort of place to do that right now.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2023, 1:45 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Recent polls suggest the Labour lead is shrinking. Personally I think they're being stupid coming out with policies a year before the election which will either be ridiculed or nicked by the Tories.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Sep 2023, 2:56 pm

Rossall wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Recent polls suggest the Labour lead is shrinking. Personally I think they're being stupid coming out with policies a year before the election which will either be ridiculed or nicked by the Tories.

Recent polls show Labour up by 15-20 points, which is the same as for the last six months.

Tories are too busy trying to chase votes by appealing to motorists to actually pay attention to anything else.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2023, 6:20 am

Labour's lead over the Tories has been slashed to just 10 points, according to a new poll.

The survey by Opinium of 3,000 UK adults between September 27-29 puts Sir Keir Starmer's party on 39 percent, with Rishi Sunak's outfit on 29 percent.

It is a two-point drop for Labour and a three-point rise for the Conservatives.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/to ... =4#image=1

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2023, 8:18 am

It depends on what poll you look at Rossall. I also have heard The Labour Party have lost their big lead of 20 points, but I thought they were ahead by about 15 points, not 10, in the polls.