No 77%  77%  [ 34 ]
Undecided 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 44

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 11:09 pm

AlexandertheSolitary wrote:
Weaknesses, surely? If you are not arguing to get rid of the system (neither am I) of COURSE you think republics have their strengths (if they had none what would be the point?)

Everything has weaknesses. I am not so idealistic to say that something is at the pinnacle of perfection. The reason I state republics is to emphasize the difference between a republic and a democracy.

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 11:11 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Weaknesses, surely? If you are not arguing to get rid of the system (neither am I) of COURSE you think republics have their strengths (if they had none what would be the point?)

Everything has weaknesses. I am not so idealistic to say that something is at the pinnacle of perfection. The reason I state republics is to emphasize the difference between a republic and a democracy.

For example a constitutional monarchy with a Westminster parliamentary system? There seems to be little practical difference.

What specific model of republic?

Also, I was not accusing you of claiming that republics are perfect, just puzzled at your phrasing. Generally that structure implies a contrast.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 11:24 pm

For example a constitutional monarchy with a Westminster parliamentary system? There seems to be little practical difference.

What specific model of republic?

Also, I was not accusing you of claiming that republics are perfect, just puzzled at your phrasing. Generally that structure implies a contrast.

To be honest, I really do not know the specifics of what I want. There are too many trade-offs, the problem I see is not from the need to change institutions, although I do not claim that they are perfect. As noted earlier, I simply do not want to have an uneducated voting populace and I do not like the power that they have to vote. To be honest, I really do not have any practical plan to put any of this in to place because of the ability to corrupt many of the ideas and such.

I did not think that the phrasing was wrong. The reason being that I was thinking relative to all systems as well, I did mean democracy most of all of course because most consider it the practical option but I would say so compared to dictatorship as well.