Page 7 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2007, 5:51 pm

skafather84 wrote:
life expentancy isn't very long in the middle east and it's getting even shorter.

Life Expectancy:
Turkey: 72.62yrs
Lebanon: 72.88yrs
Israel: 79.46yrs
Egypt: 71.29yrs
Libya: 76.69yrs
Tunisia: 75.12yrs
Algeria: 73.26yrs
Morocco: 70.94yrs
Syria: 70.32yrs
Iraq: 69.01yrs
Iran: 70.26yrs
Saudi Arabia: 75.67yrs
Kuwait: 77.2yrs

The average person in the Arab would is younger then the average person in the western world, and the average woman in the Arab world has (many) more children then the average woman in the western world.

Absolute_Zero wrote:
Most (christian) churches now spend most of their time preaching revelations instead of preaching the teachings of Christ and his values.

This may be true with the church you are at but this is not, absolutely not that case with the majority of Christian churches.

snake321 wrote:
I know, there are plenty of them. When you show them their illogic they don't really make much attempt to counter your points, instead they lable you as a dictator for telling them these things are wrong.

I do believe that certain concept, like for example utopian concepts, lead to tyranny. However, I do try to make an effect to argue my points as succinctly as possible. Admittedly, arguing on behalf of religion is not something that is particular easy for me as I am myself not a religious person.

snake321 wrote:
Ignorance and apathy and all those bad things shouldn't be taken as morality.

Ignorance and apathy of what...morality? Where does one get morality? From what source ultimately?

snake321 wrote:
But it are, because people watch too much Mtv.

Of course. But then again popular culture is not dominated by religious symbolism.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2007, 5:54 pm

Flagg wrote:
As I said before as life length rises religions that use fear tactics (Christianity, Islam) will die and those focus on living (Buddhism, LaVey Satanism) will grow.

Examples of fear tactics? Are we talking about fear in this life or the next (I am thinking of the rather clear difference between fundamentalists in Christianity and Islam)?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2007, 7:17 pm

jimservo wrote:
Flagg wrote:
As I said before as life length rises religions that use fear tactics (Christianity, Islam) will die and those focus on living (Buddhism, LaVey Satanism) will grow.

Examples of fear tactics? Are we talking about fear in this life or the next (I am thinking of the rather clear difference between fundamentalists in Christianity and Islam)?

most likely both. fear tactics about the government looking to take away their religion somehow and fear tactics about going to hell if you don't follow exactly what the church mandates to do and think.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2007, 8:28 pm

jimservo wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
life expentancy isn't very long in the middle east and it's getting even shorter.

Life Expectancy:
Turkey: 72.62yrs
Lebanon: 72.88yrs
Israel: 79.46yrs
Egypt: 71.29yrs
Libya: 76.69yrs
Tunisia: 75.12yrs
Algeria: 73.26yrs
Morocco: 70.94yrs
Syria: 70.32yrs
Iraq: 69.01yrs
Iran: 70.26yrs
Saudi Arabia: 75.67yrs
Kuwait: 77.2yrs

The average person in the Arab would is younger then the average person in the western world, and the average woman in the Arab world has (many) more children then the average woman in the western world.

Absolute_Zero wrote:
Most (christian) churches now spend most of their time preaching revelations instead of preaching the teachings of Christ and his values.

This may be true with the church you are at but this is not, absolutely not that case with the majority of Christian churches.

snake321 wrote:
I know, there are plenty of them. When you show them their illogic they don't really make much attempt to counter your points, instead they lable you as a dictator for telling them these things are wrong.

I do believe that certain concept, like for example utopian concepts, lead to tyranny. However, I do try to make an effect to argue my points as succinctly as possible. Admittedly, arguing on behalf of religion is not something that is particular easy for me as I am myself not a religious person.

snake321 wrote:
Ignorance and apathy and all those bad things shouldn't be taken as morality.

Ignorance and apathy of what...morality? Where does one get morality? From what source ultimately?

snake321 wrote:
But it are, because people watch too much Mtv.

Of course. But then again popular culture is not dominated by religious symbolism.

So in essance, your saying we shouldn't strive to make a better world possible, we should continue to keep abusing one another and cause more suffering? Your saying we shouldn't worry about solving problems?

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2007, 8:33 pm

Um ok, yeah, let those damn ethiopians starve, let these families continue to get ripped apart by war, let brutal dictators oppress their peoples, afterall, if we try to stop them we're "totalitarian" :roll:
Basically your saying you don't care about the greater common good of humanity (you probably care more about conservatives and whatever groups you follow dominating others for your oen benefit). Dude, we should strive towards making a utopia possible, we should strive to be the best we can. If your gonna suggest turning a blind eye to the world's misery then your just thinking of yourself, I guess those who are less fortunate are expendable.... *shakes my head*