Do you think I may have a mild form of Asperger's?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 1:46 am

SteveeVader wrote:
you did not mention hand flapping and eye contact these two by far are specific in asergers as it is a very prodominant feature

Um, not necessarily. I don't do the hand flapping thing and I have AS. I stim in other ways. I clack my teeth and do some other things it takes too long to describe here. Anyway, hand flapping is common but not relevant for a diagnosis.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 3:50 am

Uranus wrote:
For me, Asperger's gets lesser with age. When you take a test like this, make sure you answer them as a teen rather than what you are like right now.

Very true. I got into the hands of the "shrinks" when I was 7. That was back in the 1950's before Aspergers was even invented.

Now I can see a clear progression from my father to myself to my son.

I am not the person that I was at 7 or 17 or 27.
We change with age.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 5:27 am

Eller wrote:
SteveeVader wrote:
you did not mention hand flapping and eye contact these two by far are specific in asergers as it is a very prodominant feature

Um, not necessarily. I don't do the hand flapping thing and I have AS. I stim in other ways. I clack my teeth and do some other things it takes too long to describe here. Anyway, hand flapping is common but not relevant for a diagnosis.

I think he meant that they are generally very strong indicators (but not prerequisites) of having AS. The issue with eye contact is probably more common than the hand flapping.

Sarafina7
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jun 2009, 5:52 am

As for your first post. It sounds like you're on the autistic spectrum. I suggest reading more about it, consulting pschyatrists/psychologists (who specialize in autism in adults or know the subject), taking tests and/or looking to see if you match the DSM.

NicksQuestions wrote:
Is this OCD or Asperger/HFA behavior? For example often I'll be walking and then all of a sudden freeze in place looking at some detail in the wall or ceiling, while keeping my head still while doing so. Then I'll move my eyes back the same way that they came, since sometimes it feels weird if I don't, and often repeat it a few times. Sometimes as one of my hands moves against something, I'll rub it back the same way because I don't like the way it feels to have my hand rubbed one way. Sometimes I'll stare at the number two on a clock (or another number the next time around) for twenty minutes very rigidly as I daydream. Sometimes I'll click back and forth on my browser tabs for a few minutes for stimulation. Sometimes I'll move back and forth on my feet because there's a crack under neath me and I don't like the way it feels and I'll try to move back the same exact way my feet rolled the first time, but then doing it several times to get the feel that I came back the same way.

It's probably you're way of stimming and/or has to do with sensory issues. Stims are the repetitve actions that autistic people do (i.e. hand flapping or rocking, but it could be any repititve action). Autistic people often have sensory issues, either hyper- or hyposensitive.