Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

UberElvis
Raven
Raven

24 Jun 2009, 7:37 am

LostInEmulation wrote:

Would you Gentooistoj think that a modern Gentoo installs on an ancient P3 based laptop within a reasonable time? (including X11 and KDE) or would it take like a week?

My test machine that I installed it on a while back is a P3 and it took about 3 days including X11 and Gnome. However, I think KDE (haven't tried) takes longer than Gnome because it's a little bit more to compile, but I'm not sure.

EtotheC
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2009, 1:42 pm

UberElvis wrote:
I'm currently installing Gentoo Linux on my test machine just for fun. I've installed it before, but I got rid of it to try other distros. Does/Has anyone else here use(d) it or at least tried it for a significant deal of time? I'm a little more serious about it this time around because I like the whole challenge it takes to install it and I've seen all kinds of discussion about Ubuntu but not much variety other than that. Don't get me wrong, I really like Ubuntu too, I just want to see if it's possible to start a little variety to the Linux discussion here.

Used Linux since about 1998, Gentoo is one distro that I use.

But seriously for non-programmers I don't get why anyone would install it...

Also Slackware = the best distro for hardcore Linux users, seriously...

TOGGI3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jun 2009, 1:55 pm

Whats all this hardcore linux distro stuff? even Torvalds uses Fedora. :lol:

I never understood why some people insist on saying a certain distro is superior to another cause its somehow more hardcore or for *real* linux geeks. People have their own reasons (ranging from professional to practical to downright irrational) for why they use what they use. I use Ubuntu (practical reasons) on desktops, CentOS (professional reasons) for servers, it does what I need and I love it. I have used almost everything though with a fair degree of comfort, including Gentoo and Slackware.

Slack is nice though, IMHO, near impossible to maintain up-to-date software on, but there are a few projects these days that you can use to maintain your slack install with the ease of operation as many other distributions.

EtotheC
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2009, 2:02 pm

TOGGI3 wrote:

He uses it for simplicity sake, but for the sake of tweaking ones system Slackware is almost unmatched. I mean do you honestly believe the man who birthed it would really want to delve into his install's nuts and bolts, whilst he is delving into the codes nuts and bolts?

Also I didn't say Slackware is superior, just probably the best to tweak.

TOGGI3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jun 2009, 2:05 pm

EtotheC wrote:
TOGGI3 wrote:

He uses it for simplicity sake, but for the sake of tweaking ones system Slackware is almost unmatched. I mean do you honestly believe the man who birthed it would really want to delve into his install's nuts and bolts, whilst he is delving into the codes nuts and bolts?

Also I didn't say Slackware is superior, just probably the best to tweak.

well, if we were to really get hardxcore about this, the best to tweak would likely be building the system yourself like following a gentoo build manual from stage 1, but thats obvious. did it *once* ;)

EtotheC
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2009, 2:07 pm

TOGGI3 wrote:
like following a gentoo build manual from stage 1, but thats obvious. did it *once* ;)

I mean tweak in the sense of customisation, not crazily compiling all my OS from source, son that isn't tweaking, that is giving birth (and just as painful on a 386 probably :wink:)

TOGGI3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jun 2009, 2:08 pm

EtotheC wrote:
TOGGI3 wrote:
like following a gentoo build manual from stage 1, but thats obvious. did it *once* ;)

I mean tweak in the sense of customisation, not crazily compiling all my OS from source, son that isn't tweaking, that is giving birth (and just as painful on a 386 probably :wink:)

haha, I guess I cant argue with that one at all :lol:

Nothing was quite like that experience, after that I built a cross compilation toolchain and a minimal linux distro for dreamcast, which also took an eternity. But I had busybox! (gasp)

EtotheC
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2009, 2:11 pm

TOGGI3 wrote:
EtotheC wrote:
TOGGI3 wrote:

haha, I guess I cant argue with that one at all :lol:

Nothing was quite like that experience, after that I built a cross compilation toolchain and a minimal linux distro for dreamcast, which also took an eternity. But I had busybox! (gasp)

Tried to install Gentoo to a 486 recently, I laugh now but...

Also: Dreamcast user?

YOU ARE A LEGEND

StillStorm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jul 2009, 4:01 am

I used Gentoo for a while (a couple of years ago). I loved it, and only stopped using it because my hard-drive died and I didn't want to go throug the considerable pain of getting it installed again the way I liked it. I think building apps from source appeals to our aspie tendancies! :D Especially if you like to keep up to date with all the latest and greatest releases. These days I use Ubuntu just because it's easy and generally works. Though day-to-day I now have a Mac so have somewhat defected from the Linux crowed! :wink: