Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

koryna
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jun 2009, 8:01 pm

I recently wrote this piece on Neurodiversity on my blog: http://neko-no-baka.livejournal.com/300108.html
(It's quite long, and I'm sorry for the external link, but I find it hard to post big blocks of text in forums and still be able to understand it)

A few of my NT friends have suggested that I turn the piece into a youtube video, like my previous videos. However, I feel like it needs to be edited to fit an audiovisual medium.

So I was wondering whether any of us here had any suggestions, or anything they would rather I changed, so that it'll transfer into video. All the sentences that I use can't nicely fit in a video frame.

If you want, I'll post the entry here. I just didn't want it to distract from my purpose.

Last edited by koryna on 02 Jun 2009, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 9:09 pm

Really great idea, koryna! Good luck on your project and I would imagine doing some sleuthing on Wrong Planet would offer insights as well.
You could watch my video - URL below in my signature line.

Hmmm....about material - you could read a bit about Mirror Neurons (even just on Wikipedia) and maybe quiz others here too. Below is a video clip of Glenn Gould, HFA piano virtuoso playing Bach - you might like!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB76jxBq ... re=related

As far as your presentation on YouTube....I don't know. Maybe what you like to design! Good luck, koryna. And Happy Neurodiversity Day soon.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 10:57 pm

Sorry for my ignorance but when is Neurodiversity Day ?

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 1:16 am

Woodpecker wrote:
Sorry for my ignorance but when is Neurodiversity Day ?

There's a bit of leeway on this date; I know Neurodiversity Day as June 18th & apparently this is correct for the United States. Some have said ND Day is actually June 17th or 19th (such as in Australia, etc). But somewhere in that range.

Personally, I like Neurodiversity Day and take this day as precisely what it means - to honor those who are Neurodiverse (ie: us!!). I guess some have made it into some sort of contrived personal statement and then 'do not approve.' Whatever. It means what it says. At least that's the intent.

Happy Neurodiversity Day! Wrong Planet should have a virtual ND Day party....hmm.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 2:32 pm

Thanks LabPet,

I will have to work out what I should do that day, I think it would be a pitty to allow it to pass just like any other day.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 6:24 pm

This is great. Sometimes, it gets really exhausting trying to explain the very meaning of ND to someone. I try to be patient because perhaps it's simply hard for some people to get over the idea that neurodiversity is often connected to autism pride, but I constantly remind people that it's not the same as having pride (pride is a completely different issue, in my opinion).

Also, I love but also lament the fact that people just don't seem to get it that the neurodiversity movement doesn't necessarily mean "no progress"! They seem to think that we want to inhibit people from getting any help or that we don't want to negotiate with people and discuss the needs of the mentally disabled/ill (which is absolutely false). I think it's laughable when they say that autism isn't a civil rights issue; well, apparently, it's feminist issue, a mental health issue, a medical issue.......it seems very logical that it would be a civil rights issue (considering how many autistic people are denied their rights because of their autism).

Everyone deserves to have their fundamental rights to be preserved and protected and to say that we shouldn't have them gives the impression that these anti-ND people (who specifically don't agree with autism civil rights) are arrogant and think that they are special (so they don't have any right to judge us for our pride, I guess).

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 2:47 pm

MindBlind wrote:
Also, I love but also lament the fact that people just don't seem to get it that the neurodiversity movement doesn't necessarily mean "no progress"! They seem to think that we want to inhibit people from getting any help or that we don't want to negotiate with people and discuss the needs of the mentally disabled/ill (which is absolutely false). I think it's laughable when they say that autism isn't a civil rights issue; well, apparently, it's feminist issue, a mental health issue, a medical issue.......it seems very logical that it would be a civil rights issue (considering how many autistic people are denied their rights because of their autism).

What "progress" do you condone, besides any progress that comes without significant interventions? What help do you approve of? Your side doesn't condone therapeutic help that would greatly increase functioning level. How can it be a feminist issue when the male to female ratio is like 4:1?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 11:38 am

State that everybody has the right to life, whether they have a disability, or not.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 12:45 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
State that everybody has the right to life, whether they have a disability, or not.

That's my opinion too! Being Autistic is hard but definitely has advantages and I wouldn't be without. ND just means to recognize and celebrate differences in each other.

For ex: In the US, we celebrate St. Patrick's Day (for us, a fun holiday) just to acknowledge the Irish amongst us. I don't 'read' more into ND day than can be implied. Just a fun day to recognize who and what we all are.

Autistic Pride!