Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,180
Location: 6 Underground

05 Jun 2009, 12:28 am

I've been noticing, especially lately, when talking to people (other than the ones I'm around constantly) my speech becomes slurred, jumbled - hard to decipher.

I've always done this here and there, but I feel that it's gotten worse in the past few months. Could there be a reason for this?

It's not due to nervousness... I can be completely at ease and around people I know well.



Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Apr 2009
Age: 62
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,187

05 Jun 2009, 5:19 am

This had been a life long problem for me, that I would speak low and mumble and not look people in the eye. Strangely enough when I was put on antidepressants as an adult I found myself projecting my voice more and speaking more clearly. I'm not sure it wasn't because I needed to communicate but being more direct and forceful brought me more attention from the other person and it felt creepy like the looking in the eye thing. I think the meds helped me with that. My son, who is diagnosed with Asperger's, is the same way I was.



mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Apr 2009
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,340

05 Jun 2009, 6:34 am

Same here. I have to put in a lot of conscious effort to get rid of that trait, and it returns if I'm nervous or hyperactive.

Sometimes I CAN'T speak clearly. I'm trying to tell someone something, but I'm thinking in abstract patterns, and can't switch thought patterns fast enough to convert to words without a delay.


_________________
'You're so cold, but you feel alive
Lay your hands on me, one last time' (Breaking Benjamin)


Jsmitheh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 131

05 Jun 2009, 6:35 am

My thoughts get completely jumbled any time I try to speak and I just stammer. Alcohol helps though, I can speak eloquently for a long time without stopping.



Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Apr 2009
Age: 62
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,187

05 Jun 2009, 8:12 am

mecanicalgirl39- That makes sense I never thought of it that way. What it feels like is your mouth wants to say something different from your brain.



grinningcat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2008
Age: 51
Gender: Female
Posts: 228

05 Jun 2009, 9:33 am

Aimless wrote:
mecanicalgirl39- That makes sense I never thought of it that way. What it feels like is your mouth wants to say something different from your brain.


It does, doesn't it. I had the unfortunate opportunity to listen to myself on a digital recording the other day - I didn't know the recorder wasn't switched off (and neither did the boss) so a whole argument was taped without either of us knowing it . During the discussion live, I was very annoyed that I was being attacked for the way I worked, considering that he has no clue of what goes on out in the front. Listening to the recording in the course of transcribing something else, I cringed, because I heard just how badly I was speaking, and it was less that I was being attacked and more that there was a frustration level of the communication not getting through. I thought I had defended myself well until then :( :wall:


_________________
People think there are four elements to the world; fire, wind, water and earth. They are wrong. There is a 5th element - surprise. - paraphrasing of Terry Pratchett "The Truth"


MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jan 2009
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,896
Location: Stoke, England (sometimes :P)

05 Jun 2009, 10:13 am

I always slur my words and stutter, and I'm also a fast speaker which doesn't help. And when I hear recording of my voice I sound drunk or stoned I'm that bad. It's worse when I'm excited, mad, or if I have alot to say, because I just shoot all my words out in one go while tripping over my words and I either have to stop or I end up making a daft noise like "blablabla" and then laugh nervously and I often have to start it all again and try to speak slower than what feels natural so they can tell what I'm saying. I can be a rubbish speaker at times.


_________________
What film do atheists watch on Christmas?
Coincidence on 34th street.


Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Aug 2006
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,890

05 Jun 2009, 11:08 am

My speech is actually very articulate. However, I do have days where my words will sound jumbled or slurred for no reason. I think it's just a normal thing that everyone goes through.



SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Oct 2008
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,774
Location: SpongeBob's Pineapple (England really!)

05 Jun 2009, 4:00 pm

I tend to stutter and mumble when talking to people I don't know. Sometimes I even do that to people I do know, but I just don't know as well as other people.


_________________
Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
SpongeBobRocksMao!
Absorbent and yellow and porous is he!
SpongeBobRocksMao!


Hashberry
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 3 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 249

05 Jun 2009, 4:34 pm

Manders wrote:
I've been noticing, especially lately, when talking to people (other than the ones I'm around constantly) my speech becomes slurred, jumbled - hard to decipher.

I've always done this here and there, but I feel that it's gotten worse in the past few months. Could there be a reason for this?

It's not due to nervousness... I can be completely at ease and around people I know well.


Precisely as you say, me too.



Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 435

05 Jun 2009, 4:58 pm

I used to talk fast, and I'd slur some letter/combination of. My dad had complained only about my talking too fast. I made a conscious effort to stop doing either, and it went away pretty quick. Though, I still sometimes talk far too fast, but it has been extremely reduced.


_________________
Permanently inane.


Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Jul 2004
Age: 63
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,023
Location: Uz

05 Jun 2009, 5:02 pm

I had a period when I seemed to lose control (not that I have much) of speech and was babbling and mumbling a lot. I also 'threw' my voice at that time without knowing how it happened. It passed.



Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,028
Location: New Jersey

05 Jun 2009, 5:09 pm

when im more verbal my speech is like that as well, now with me, it can mean my thoughts are coming way too fast like RTS(rapid thought syndrom), or it can mean my mind is wandering without thinking, basically too much stimuli like lights, noise, touching, smell, taste something maybe obstucting my verbalness someway. Maybe thats the same with you, maybe your sensory is getting more severe, that can happen with season change, with allergies, happen with anxiety that you may not know about, happen with change in environment, happen with change in schedule, happen with so much. Either way your not alone hehe.


_________________
Being Normal Is Vastly Overrated :wall:


Manders
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,180
Location: 6 Underground

05 Jun 2009, 5:14 pm

Postperson wrote:
I had a period when I seemed to lose control (not that I have much) of speech and was babbling and mumbling a lot. I also 'threw' my voice at that time without knowing how it happened. It passed.


Did it pass on its own, or did you do something to make it stop?

grinningcat wrote:
Listening to the recording in the course of transcribing something else, I cringed, because I heard just how badly I was speaking, and it was less that I was being attacked and more that there was a frustration level of the communication not getting through. I thought I had defended myself well until then :( :wall:


I HATE when I'm upset, and trying to get a point across or express myself to someone, and my bad speech prevents it, or takes away the effect of what I'm trying to put across.



Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Jul 2004
Age: 63
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,023
Location: Uz

05 Jun 2009, 5:23 pm

Manders wrote:
Postperson wrote:
I had a period when I seemed to lose control (not that I have much) of speech and was babbling and mumbling a lot. I also 'threw' my voice at that time without knowing how it happened. It passed.


Did it pass on its own, or did you do something to make it stop?.


I was having my midlife crisis at the time and was ultra stressed, so I think it passed on it's own. I am a mimic though, that's my 'savant' skill so I think I was possibly developing more mimicry skills, they just come by themselves.