Why do senior citizens get cheaper prices?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

05 Jun 2009, 9:30 pm

When you go to movie theaters or to zoos or museums, amusement parks, etc. You notice how the price for 65 and up is almost the same price for a child to get in. Also the bus passes here for senior citizens cost 25 bucks a month while adults have to pay 75 or 86 bucks a month on a bus pass depending on which pass they buy. I wonder why is that? Why do they make things cheaper for them? Is it because they are retired so they want them to save their retirement savings to live off of?

Thoughts? Ideas on why?

Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 9:34 pm

I guess it's just a respect thing, seeing as they've lived longer and done what they can for society and can't do much for it anymore. I don't quite understand it seeing as they're generally richer than all of us, but heh, I guess it's just how it works.

Lily_cat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 9:35 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
When you go to movie theaters or to zoos or museums, amusement parks, etc. You notice how the price for 65 and up is almost the same price for a child to get in. Also the bus passes here for senior citizens cost 25 bucks a month while adults have to pay 75 or 86 bucks a month on a bus pass depending on which pass they buy. I wonder why is that? Why do they make things cheaper for them? Is it because they are retired so they want them to save their retirement savings to live off of?

Thoughts? Ideas on why?

About a decade ago it was realized that the elderly were mostly falling below the absolute poverty line, to help this they pay less tax and get lower prices... or that's what social science textbook says... and it hasn't lied to me yet...

Masuna
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jun 2009, 9:38 pm

Because, They worked all their Lives and raised kids and now got little left. Friends are passed away, kids moved out. What little they saved is eaten by taxes and inflation. They deserve all the help they can get. They feel forgotten. Just waiting to die.

Mist01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2009, 9:39 pm

Masuna wrote:
Because, They worked all their Lives and raised kids and now got little left. Friends are passed away, kids moved out. What little they saved is eaten by taxes and inflation. They deserve all the help they can get. They feel forgotten. Just waiting to die.

Wow, that was depressing.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 9:43 pm

okay I wouldn't go as far as to say that they're waiting to die. :lol: Both of my Grandmothers (in their 80's and 90's respectfully) are leading great, fulfilling lives. But...at a drastically reduced income. They've worked, paid their dues, and I think it's awesome that seniors get discounts.

Masuna
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jun 2009, 9:50 pm

CelticGoddess wrote:
okay I wouldn't go as far as to say that they're waiting to die. :lol: Both of my Grandmothers (in their 80's and 90's respectfully) are leading great, fulfilling lives. But...at a drastically reduced income. They've worked, paid their dues, and I think it's awesome that seniors get discounts.
Sorry ! ! I was just thinking about seniors and poverty, Sorry. Of course my stupid blurt out doesn't represent the whole community ! ! However it is like that for some who are poor and alone. That just made me sad. Sorry

05 Jun 2009, 9:50 pm

Oh I see because they are about to retire soon, we are giving them a gift, discounts. They have lived a good life and have worked, so now we are giving them a present.

Quote:
About a decade ago it was realized that the elderly were mostly falling below the absolute poverty line, to help this they pay less tax and get lower prices... or that's what social science textbook says... and it hasn't lied to me yet...

Was that when the discount started?

Mist01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2009, 10:18 pm

Masuna wrote:
CelticGoddess wrote:
Sorry ! ! I was just thinking about seniors and poverty, Sorry. Of course my stupid blurt out doesn't represent the whole community ! ! However it is like that for some who are poor and alone. That just made me sad. Sorry

lol no, thats alright. It was actually kind of funny. Although when people who really go through that, it isnt. I didnt think you were actually trying to be all dark and gloomy about aging.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 10:28 pm

The cost of pharmaceuticals eat up a lot of a senior citizen's fixed income. Sometimes they have to choose between food and medicine.

vibratetogether
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jun 2009, 10:36 am

I respect my elders, and I think others should as well, but I don't think that's the real reason you see senior discounts. I'm sure there are some cases where business owners are doing it out of respect, but I think more likely it's a money-making thing. Many senior citizens live on a fixed-income, and if these discounts were not offered, many senior citizens would opt-out as opposed to paying full price. As it has become fairly standard for many businesses to have senior discounts, if one business did not offer this, the seniors would give their money to the businesses that do have the discounts.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 10:39 am

I think it is because after they retire people have less income (often only what they get from Social Security or pensions) so they can't afford as much. Same reason there are often discounts for students, because students have less income than people with jobs.

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 11:31 am

Quote:
I respect my elders, and I think others should as well, but I don't think that's the real reason you see senior discounts. I'm sure there are some cases where business owners are doing it out of respect, but I think more likely it's a money-making thing. Many senior citizens live on a fixed-income, and if these discounts were not offered, many senior citizens would opt-out as opposed to paying full price. As it has become fairly standard for many businesses to have senior discounts, if one business did not offer this, the seniors would give their money to the businesses that do have the discounts.

Awwwe, how can i contribute to a conversation, if you've already stated the answer so fully?

06 Jun 2009, 12:33 pm

Quote:

arielhawksquill wrote:
I think it is because after they retire people have less income (often only what they get from Social Security or pensions) so they can't afford as much. Same reason there are often discounts for students, because students have less income than people with jobs.

Then there should be discounts for poor people too. I don't even go out much for the same reason. :( Maybe it's my money obsession that is doing it.

Not everyone with jobs make much money.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 9:30 pm

Social Security doesn't go nearly as far as it used to. And prices have gone up a bit.

Still to young to take advantage of it.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 1:31 pm

This has nothing to do with respect or being nice; it's classic price discrimination based on different demand curves for different age groups. Basic micro economics.