Do you have a sense of gender identity?

Page 1 of 8 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2009, 5:49 pm

I don't have a sense of gender identity. I know I'm female because of my body, but I don't have any intrinsic sense of femaleness, and if I were to switch to a male body, I don't think it would make any difference to how I see myself. I find people find this quite hard to believe, so I was wondering whether maybe it's something that is more common in Aspies. Does anyone here relate to this sense of no gender identity?

Barbarossa
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jun 2009, 5:51 pm

Between male and female, I'm a guy, but I'm not very masculine. I feel pretty androgynous I guess.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 5:57 pm

I identify as female, though not entirely comfortable with it.

Myself and my femaleness have a love/hate relationship.

I don't like that idea of being a baby machine...

subliculous
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jun 2009, 6:20 pm

i'm technically female, but have always instinctively felt genderless, also due to having always been ostracised by both sexes.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 6:35 pm

I don't feel very connected with my body, anyway. Gender was what other people saw me as, mostly. Now that I am past being a 'baby making machine'( :wink: mechanicalgirl39) it doesn't matter to anyone other than me, anyway. When you get to a certain age, you become invisible, you know.

Barbarossa
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jun 2009, 6:39 pm

I'm a sex machine

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 6:44 pm

I don't know how to act "male", but at the same time I'm not effeminate or anything, just normalish, unless I'm playing sport. Then I become a (probably <100 pound) colossus of anger and slide-tackling :twisted: My endurance for pain and odd physical fitness for a guy who doesn't actually play sport (thank you, fast metabolism *hugs thyroid*) makes me look a little manly, it's fun :)

BadPuddle
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2009, 6:54 pm

I'm female and quite happy with that identity, but my idea of 'female' doesn't seem to fit in with the usual. If I were to transform into a bloke overnight, it would be a curious experiment, and probably wouldn't bother me at all.
Traditional gender identity and roles mean nothing to me, so I construct my own identity maybe?
For instance, with my appearance, I have very long hair and don't mind a bit of make-up, but wouldn't ever wear a skirt.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 6:57 pm

I don't have much of a sense of gender identity either. But I learnt to play along and 'act' female because it staves off a lot of criticism and ridicule.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 7:00 pm

I'm a female and I guess I would agree that I have no strong gender identity. I don't mind being female; being male would probably be OK too. My gender has always seemed way more important to others than to me.

Being a lesbian has really given me a lot of freedom from gender roles and I express who I am rather than what society expects women to be. So I do everything from construction to handsewing... I do what I like. :D

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 7:10 pm

clumsy Fudo, i misspelled testosterone** :(

Last edited by Fudo on 06 Jun 2009, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 7:11 pm

Still trying to understand, I had a girlfriend, I like girls but rarely feel physically attracted, probably just asexual.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 7:17 pm

i definitely (in my opinion, as a man, with no first hand experience) wouldn't mind being female & i think i have many "feminine" characteristics, but i'm oozing with testosterone, so to speak.. i mean that i seem to be quite "masculine" too, not really in appearance, other than being hirsute.
i think i'm fairly aggressive naturally, and.. well i find women so damn attractive.

Last edited by Fudo on 06 Jun 2009, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 7:21 pm

Only in so far as I have a sense of being half male and half female, with the two basically canceling each other out so i am darn right in the middle.
the other reading is that on occasions I feel distinctly female and on other occasions distinctly male, which could also mean i have insight into both sexes.

of course, strictly speaking, gender refers to masculine/feminine as opposed to male/female.
I would say i experience both the former.

Last edited by millie on 06 Jun 2009, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 7:27 pm

I'm really feminine, I know I'm a girl and I just can't see myself ever being male.
I wonder how it feels to not be sure, it seems so foreign to me.

06 Jun 2009, 8:07 pm

I feel like a woman which is what I am but I also feel younger most of the time. I have no desire to be a man or even want to be or even wish I was. Women seem to have it easier in the world so that's why I'm glad to be one.

Too many women being narrow minded and lot of men are open and things are more acceptable in women but men are shunned for it when they do them, and men get easily accused of being a pedophile and women don't.