Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Ben_Shapiro
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jun 2009, 2:22 pm

Well I hope no one becomes the focus of my entire world, that would not only be inconvenient but also disrupt my routine due to added time rotating around this person (that, I think was quite a good joke)

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 9:10 pm

Ben_Shapiro wrote:
Well I hope no one becomes the focus of my entire world, that would not only be inconvenient but also disrupt my routine due to added time rotating around this person (that, I think was quite a good joke)

Heh.. that's kind of what love is about. :)

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 12:15 am

In my experience, man are so much more tolerant with the quirks of an woman they find attractive (and it's exactly the other way around with women). When I was very young, I instinctively used a slightly flirtatious behaviour in order to be accepted or liked by others. I didn't realize I was flirting, I just sensed a certain way of acting got more positive responses - from men, of course.

After being explained what signals I actually transmitted, I became more careful - to me everything seemed very innocent and harmless, but other women hated me and sometimes retaliated cruelly. This made me think that I might appear just as cruel to them.

On the other hand, most of my friends are men and neither them or my husband/their respective wives or girlfriends don't seem to have a problem with my behaviour, so I probably stopped - I couldn't tell for sure... :lol:

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 5:06 am

We're boned! pretty much everything on the list of flirting tips is impaired by AS.

http://dating.personals.yahoo.com/singl ... g-success/

I now understand the part of Negs, but I never would have if I hadn't read about it. I think someone was negging me when she said "You couldn't be getting a Ph.D." Then again, maybe she was just being a jerk. I can't tell. But even after that I was doing OK in a phone conversation (I think?) until my friend started acting like a douchebag and punched me in the arm.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jun 2009, 5:19 am

I am very uninterested i sex and relationships but I actually find aspies females hot and really interesting lol its just my thing I will only be born with aspie children lol

Chizpurfle52595
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jun 2009, 5:20 am

Ahahaha.... I know what the OP is talking about, as I'm the exact same way.
There was one teacher in high school and 2 professors in college that I would banter with.
The one in high school was possibly the first man outside my family that I trusted and loved. :oops:
The ones in college were just for fun and because no one else ever said anything in class. :roll:

LipstickKiller
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jun 2009, 9:55 am

As an aside I actually ended up with my college professor and we now have two kids :lol:

ApostropheX
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jun 2009, 1:10 pm

This topic has been an interesting read!

Crassus has really perfected the art of flirting, it seems, and "broken the code" helped me understand flirting a lot. But now that I understand it more, I perhaps like it even less.

I -do- pay women compliments from time to time, which is difficult for me, because I have a hard time letting women know that I'm interested in them. It makes me feel extremely vulnerable. So for me to pay a compliment is a Very Big Deal. To know that it can just be seen as a pass or a come-on makes me feel even worse about the whole thing!

Oh, well.

Here's a funny anecdote. I play this conversation in my head over and over because it makes me laugh.

Several years ago I went to Sydney on a college trip. While I was there, I was impelled to join some classmates at a bar. I like to smoke when I drink, so I bought a pack of cigarettes before we went. This bar had a roped-off dance club upstairs, which I was initially let in to because they girls I was with were hot.

(Does everyone here hate clubs as much as I do? The noise! The touching! The subtle social cues! The coordination! But I hung around for a while because they had a live band rather than a dj, which I liked.)

I went downstairs--back out the ropes--to use the restroom. Lo, and behold, I wasn't allowed back up without my hot friends. So I decided to wait for them downstairs a while. I sat on a stool and smoked. I was sitting next to a quiet young woman who I believe was having a bad night. She was smoking, too.

After I finished my VB (Aussie beer) I decided to leave, but still had a nearly-full pack of cigarettes (and cig packs are big down in Oz!) I wanted to get rid of the smokes, because I planned on not smoking/drinking the rest of the trip.

When I talk to people, I like to say absurd things or funny things. It's how I've learned to relate to people.

I looked at the smoking young thing and asked, "Do you believe in Santa Claus?"

She looked me over and paused before she answered. She finally said, "Sure."

"Merry Christmas," I said, handing her the pack and walking out of the bar. (This was in April, btw.)

It struck me later that the girl probably thought I was using a "line" on her. What was going through her head for that moment before she responded. I've thought about it for years. It was probably something like:

"Okay, this guy looks like a loser, but I'm bored, so. . ."

or was it more like:

"Santa what? Oh, Father Christmas. He's American. That's cool, so. . ."

I'll never know. I guess that was off-topic, but I had fun sharing. Thanks.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 1:23 pm

Flirting? What's that? :oops: :cry:

I've learned how to cope with AS and I've learned to be social. (Note the word "learn". I had to learn what comes naturally to others.) But flirting is one thing I simply don't know how to and I never will learn. I have a terrible case of love shyness.

I can talk to a female friend for hours on end if she's married or has a boyfriend or is much younger or older than me. A lot of my friends are women. But the moment a good looking woman of my age walks into the room my flight or fight instinct kicks in and I pretty much go out of my way to ignore her. That right there is my one remaining issue I've not been able to overcome.