Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jun 2009, 3:15 pm

Is clear a color?

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 3:44 pm

There's no such thing as clear paint or clear crayons, so I vote no.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 3:52 pm

clear is the lack of color just as when talking in pigments, white is the absence of color while when talking about light, white is the combination of all colors of the visible spectrum.

The opposite is true respectively when talking about black.

Doro
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 4:00 pm

To me, clear is a colour.

As a kid I used to call it "invisible". :D

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 6:10 pm

It's a lack of color, but then it's different than black or white, too... I suppose the difference there is diffusion and/or reflectivity.

It takes on the color of whatever is behind it, so...
I guess I'd put it in a class that is bigger than color, but includes color. IOW, the class of { color + reflectivity + diffusion + iridescence(?) + other optical properties }.

Oh, and no clear crayons, but there is clear nail polish. :p

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 6:14 pm

While all colors are defined by what wavelength the light has that is being reflected, clear is transmitting refracted light instead.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Jun 2009, 7:33 pm

Fort56 wrote:
Is clear a color?

No.

The former things have passed away."

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 7:34 pm

no, since the opposite of clear is opaque.

Exit_stage_left
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Jun 2009, 12:24 am

Clear is not a colour. It is the property of something that does not change the properties of light shining through it. Asking if clear is a colour is like asking if cooking is a taste.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 12:46 pm

I'd say no.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 1:35 pm

And yet, clear/transparent is my favourite (non-)colour: I've got a transparent (glass-top) desk, a transparent (perspex) TV table, a transparent stapler, a transparent hole punch, a transparent filing tray, a transparent telephone, a translucent plastic bedside table... don't know why, but I've always had this obsession with transparent things.

sqoouf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jun 2009, 1:45 pm

I'm CONFUSED!! !! ! :?

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 2:21 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
It's a lack of color, but then it's different than black or white, too... I suppose the difference there is diffusion and/or reflectivity.

It takes on the color of whatever is behind it, so...
I guess I'd put it in a class that is bigger than color, but includes color. IOW, the class of { color + reflectivity + diffusion + iridescence(?) + other optical properties }.

Oh, and no clear crayons, but there is clear nail polish. :p

The light being reflected would be the color then, not the 'clear', just like when you look in the mirror, you dont call the mirror a color, like if I hold up a red paper in front of a mirror, you dont call the mirror red, it is the paper that is red, it is red light being reflected into our eyes. Most of the time though, from what we use to clean what is clear, and dirt and everything on the surface, there is usually a amount of color attached to the clear, so I wonder how much color needs to be attached before you cant label it as clear anymore :shrug:

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 2:25 pm

Actually, roadracer, color is the perception of light coming from a source. Holding a piece of red paper in front of a mirror is "technically" making the mirror red. But in the known context that the mirror is actually a mirror, we perceive the image of the paper and attribute the color mentally through the mirror and to the paper.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 2:33 pm

Kenjuudo wrote:
Actually, roadracer, color is the perception of light coming from a source. Holding a piece of red paper in front of a mirror is "technically" making the mirror red. But in the known context that the mirror is actually a mirror, we perceive the image of the paper and attribute the color mentally through the mirror and to the paper.

So it is actually changing the color of the mirror then, it is making it red? I just thought the light was being reflected, I guess I am wrong then

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 2:35 pm

roadracer wrote:
Kenjuudo wrote:

So it is actually changing the color of the mirror then, it is making it red? I just thought the light was being reflected, I guess I am wrong then
Color is, like I said, the perception of the light entering your eyes. That's all there is to it. Since the mirror can only reflect light (close to perfectly), the mirror changes color all the time depending on what it mirrors.