Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 5:09 pm

I thought you would get a kick out of this

http://www.baltimoresun.com/orl-sportsm ... 6975.story

Last edited by 2ukenkerl on 11 Jun 2009, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evenflowman454
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jun 2009, 5:30 pm

very nice article! and the parents were not ignorant about the diagnosis, they stay real and mature. I admire that.

11 Jun 2009, 6:04 pm

Having an off day? You spelled two words wrong.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 7:15 pm

Neato! Singing is what helped me "integrate" when i was younger. It has totally shaped the way I think and talk and everything...My grandmother sang to me constantly when I was little and constatnly prompted me to sing..I am not sure, but I think it might have helped me a lot....unless it did the opposite..... :roll:

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 7:25 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Having an off day? You spelled two words wrong.

At least both were obviously typos. Sorry. 8-( I was busy, and slipped. ALSO, my keyboard is fairly small and new. 8-(

Sarafina7
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jun 2009, 7:33 pm

Her singing voice is beautiful! I'm glad she found something that she enjoys doing.

The article is also good except for this sentence: "Here is where the Magic ends. There is no cure for Gina, only management of symptoms". It's as if there saying that not having a cure for autism is bad. At least that's how I read it.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 9:10 pm

Sarafina7 wrote:
Her singing voice is beautiful! I'm glad she found something that she enjoys doing.

The article is also good except for this sentence: "Here is where the Magic ends. There is no cure for Gina, only management of symptoms". It's as if there saying that not having a cure for autism is bad. At least that's how I read it.

Shoot, I missed that! I saw a nice report on the news, and tried to find the first decent article on it.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 10:03 pm

Her expressiveness and tone of voice seem so normal. Notice her hand mannerisms. I recognize that! That's about how my hands act when I am not paying attention to them, that is, when they're not grabbing something, rubbing something, or ripping something apart!

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 10:28 pm

Cool.

LipstickKiller
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jun 2009, 1:34 pm

I actually kind of teared up, she looked so happy with herself. And I thought to myself, what if my son could find something he loves to do that enables him to bve in the spotlight without cringing...

elancee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jun 2009, 1:59 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
Neato! Singing is what helped me "integrate" when i was younger. It has totally shaped the way I think and talk and everything...My grandmother sang to me constantly when I was little and constatnly prompted me to sing..I am not sure, but I think it might have helped me a lot....unless it did the opposite..... :roll:

Both sides of my family are musical and my parents singing to me and with me definitely helped me. Singing is still my favorite occupation.

(And I teared up watching the vid.)

millie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 2:17 pm

what an incredible voice for 7. fantastic.
however, I do wonder about the fixation on national anthems. not my thing. :? Happens in Australia too now...flags, anthems.....ugh.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 2:25 pm

That's a really good voice for a 7-year-old. :D

SpongeBobRocksMao!

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 2:25 pm

Anthems aren't my thing, but me too. :cry: She's so good for a seven year old. 8O
Do many ASD people have amazing musical aptitude really, or is that a stereotype? Just wondering. I only started to be able to sing and once I started I've improved quickly. I think it was a confidence thing. I still have trouble because I live in a flat with paper thin walls and I'm too afraid to go for lessons.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 3:05 pm

Sarafina7 wrote:

That sentence bugged me too. A little girl can sing like that and it's not magical enough in its own right? It's quite likely, based on the parents' anecdotes, that she sings this well because of her autism, not in spite of it.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 3:10 pm

activebutodd wrote:
Anthems aren't my thing, but me too. :cry: She's so good for a seven year old. 8O
Do many ASD people have amazing musical aptitude really, or is that a stereotype? Just wondering. I only started to be able to sing and once I started I've improved quickly. I think it was a confidence thing. I still have trouble because I live in a flat with paper thin walls and I'm too afraid to go for lessons.

Well, it IS a beautiful anthem, covers range, etc... and she is singing it NOT because of an obsession, etc... but because it is tradition at major games. It CAN show off a persons voice, etc... though. :D