Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 4:47 pm

My Seattle area Aspie group, The Square Peg Social Club is really taking off, and we're in the planning stages of a big summer BBQ or similar event and looking for new members. We have about 70 people signed up to our group, with about 20 of them likely to attend any given meeting. Membership is free, food is usually provided, and we've got a access to a really nice meeting space with a large deck with views of downtown and the Space Needle, located in the heart of Capitol Hill. We're currently doing monthly meetings, and as the site will explain, we're extremely laid back and low pressure, people can show up and just observe if they want to, we're just trying to bring people that are often isolated together so that they can see that they are not alone.

Anyway, that's my sales spiel, we use Meetup.com as our home site, membership there is free as well, I urge anyone in the Western Washington area that wants to meet fellow Aspies to drop in sometime, our meeting schedule is on the site and directions will be provided. Feel free to PM me with any questions, or just go to the site and I'm easily reached there. Hope to see some of you in person!

lifepersonified
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jun 2009, 5:46 pm

Weird, I was just looking at your Group on Meetup when I stumbled across this post from you. I was just wondering if you have to be diagnosed to come. I don't know, I'm just really shy and stuff but I don't know if I have aspergers. Also, is there a bus that runs nearby? I hate driving to Seattle alone.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 6:40 pm

lifepersonified wrote:
Weird, I was just looking at your Group on Meetup when I stumbled across this post from you. I was just wondering if you have to be diagnosed to come. I don't know, I'm just really shy and stuff but I don't know if I have aspergers. Also, is there a bus that runs nearby? I hate driving to Seattle alone.

Nope, no diagnosis necessary, many of our members don't have one and we are not limited to AS either, we have a few people with ADHD, Tueretts, and dyspraxia, as the name implies we are trying to build a place for the "square pegs" of society to feel comfortable and fit in. As to the buses, I know that there are many running in the area, our space is just off the North end of Broadway, near the intersection of E Belmont and E Roy streets. In some way's busing it might be a good thing, since we have some parking spaces, but when they fill up it's a tough neighborhood to park in.

lifepersonified
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jun 2009, 11:29 pm

do you like people to bring food?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 2:27 am

lifepersonified wrote:
do you like people to bring food?

It's optional but appreciated. I like to cook, and my co-organizer that hosts the meetings also likes to cook, and between the two of us there is usually plenty of food to go around. That being said, we always encourage anyone who wants to to bring some nibbles for the group, we find eating to be a great social activity, and the more there is to eat the better!

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 3:03 pm

Update:

Members of both The Square Pegs, and my other Asperger's group The Seattle Neotypicals will be at this years Asperger's Family Picnic, being held July 12th at Seattle's Gasworks park. Anyone nearby should try to attend, it's a lot of fun and a great chance to meet other local autists.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 1:57 am

Bump!

Just reminding anyone that's interested that the Autism family picnic is this Sunday at Gasworks Park in Seattle, starting at 11:30 am and going till 7:00 or so that evening. More information can be found here, as well as on my meetup site that is linked in my signature. Hope everyone in the area can make it!

Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 10:08 pm

wish i had seen this topic earlier

i definently would've gone but I had a funeral to attend that day at 13:00..

if you do have any upcoming events shoot me a pm... i'm pretty much available everyday after the mornings.

edit: i registered, i'll most likely go. i see the beer thing though, if a bunch of people are gonna be getting drunk i'm not too sure it's for me, that's not what this event is right?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 3:15 am

886 wrote:
wish i had seen this topic earlier

i definently would've gone but I had a funeral to attend that day at 13:00..

if you do have any upcoming events shoot me a pm... i'm pretty much available everyday after the mornings.

edit: i registered, i'll most likely go. i see the beer thing though, if a bunch of people are gonna be getting drunk i'm not too sure it's for me, that's not what this event is right?

Too bad you couldn't make the picnic, the weather wasn't great but it was still a lot of fun, and I met a lot of other local Aspies and members of area autism support community. Fortunately there is another picnic coming up towards the end of the month being held in Lynnwood that members of the group and I will be attending, and if you can't make that one either, there is a big fair taking place in Carnation in early August, both are on the calender on the homepage. To answer your question though, no, our meetings aren't full of drunken Aspies, as comical as that might be those of us that choose to typically just enjoy a beer or two to loosen up, we've yet to have a problem with anyone over-indulging. I literally just got in from our July meeting, we had 20 people including 5 women, that's got to be some sort of record for an AS social group :D. I'll be posting some photos from the meet on our homepage shortly, so you can see for yourself what our events tend to look like, hope to see you at one soon!

Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 10:19 pm

i'll probably go to both, never met anyone else with asperger's, always wanted to.

doesn't matter how old they are, what gender they are, or any of that, i just wanna hang out with people with aspergers..