Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 3:56 pm

The world's population is still growing way too fast, especially in the third world where so many people die of Aids. Eventually, we might end up with overpopulation to the point where there's a population crash. If you know ecology, you know that. I've heard the conspiracy theory that aids was created for population control, and it doesn't seem like a bad idea. Another black plague might do us some good too.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 3:58 pm

You did not just say that? :o

BTW, my aunt is over in Africa helping and providing the children of families who have succumb to the death and illness of AIDS. It's pretty sad what those children are having to go through, so I would word whatever it is you're trying to say carefully.

I mean it's not like you're having to deal with the same thing or least of all having to live in poverty.

Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 4:15 pm

That's why the government created it. Don't you know?

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 4:18 pm

protest_the_hero wrote:
The world's population is still growing way too fast, especially in the third world where so many people die of Aids. Eventually, we might end up with overpopulation to the point where there's a population crash. If you know ecology, you know that. I've heard the conspiracy theory that aids was created for population control, and it doesn't seem like a bad idea. Another black plague might do us some good too.

Charming.

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 4:18 pm

I live in a country where AIDS is really out of control. If you're like me and live in a middle class suburb away from the poverty it's not possible to know the seriousness of the disease. It's crippling to our economy and destroys the lives of thousands, even millions. The worst affected are the kids, some of whom (through no fault of their own) are born with the disease. They end up as orphans who besides not having parents, need medical help as well due to their illness.

Really it's no joke. Only if you and I could see how much people in the rural areas and townships over here suffer, we would not see any good in it, even though over population is a problem.

@missconsture: the world needs more people like your aunt.

heckeler06
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 4:46 pm

In my opinion, the idea of overpopulation is really a myth. In industrialized countries, population growth tends to level out, and in the developing world, death rates and infant mortality stunts growth. That's not to say that population growth is stagnant, the world is still growing.

But what's the issue? We grow and can continue to grow more than enough food, and crop yields increase every year with irrigation, new strains of crops, better equipment and technology, and better agricultural methods. (If I can jump on my pedestal for a bit, ethanol is idiotic and the industrialized world and the US in particular eat way too much meat, which is a bit of a drain.)

Malthus was the guy who freaked out about overpopulation, this is from memory of my Poly Sci classes about three years ago, so bear with me, but: Malthus (Or it might have been Julian Lincoln Smith) talked about this small island, and believed that overpopulation would destroy it. He looked at the population growth and the amount of food the island could produce. What actually happened is that the population of the island leveled out, and with better technology, the island could support more people.

If you want to critique AIDS, governments seizing AIDS funds because of corruption would be a better argument, or the fickle nature of AIDS funding.

Also, well said MissConstrue, my brother has been in East Africa for a good bit of time primarily working (volunteering...) in health care--a large part of his job is AIDS education. Mostly at a grassroots level. I actually, relatively, just got back from visiting him.

David

willa
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 5:00 pm

And for weight control

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B10adrnAjWU[/youtube]

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 5:17 pm

It would be very easy (with enough funding) to produce a virus that would make people unable to reproduce. I really don't see how aids is a "good" method at controlling population.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 5:25 pm

Michjo wrote:
It would be very easy (with enough funding) to produce a virus that would make people unable to reproduce. I really don't see how aids is a "good" method at controlling population.

People should be careful messing around with viruses (any organism, in fact). Ever see the movie I Am Legend?

y es como un semestre"

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 5:28 pm

Quote:
People should be careful messing around with viruses (any organism, in fact). Ever see the movie I Am Legend?

I haven't seen the movie, although i do agree with you. I think viruses should be left alone. Aids just seems to be a really poor population control in comparison to what we *could* do. If it was a government conspiracy, said government is full of sadists.

robbokris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jun 2009, 5:40 pm

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
Michjo wrote:

No I haven't seen that movie but all I know is that the dog dies! :(

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 6:13 pm

I can't imagine wishing AIDS or anything so horrific as AIDS on anyone for any reason.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 8:17 pm

The American government and military did partake in a long list of unethical experiments on human subjects over the latter half of the 20th century (like mkultra, various advanced torture techniques, nerve toxins, etc.), and releasing a virus like aids would keep a stable economy, given it puts up the population turnover in 3rd world countries. Statistically it barely touches the population size in a developed nation, and is even usually managable for years with proper healthcare, while making drugs research and medical companies billions of dollars.

However convenient it would be to place the blame, there is no proof whatsoever that the HIV virus was created by the American government or military, or even man made for that matter. The fun thing about this conspiracy is the fact that AIDS is an ongoing world problem, so even if it was made by a country, it wouldn't be declassified. 8)

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 8:27 pm

FAIL:

world population grows rapidly despite aids.
and it grows ESPECIALLY FAST where aids is the most common :I
(if you went purely by the numbers, populations grow faster, the more aids there is...)

you just cheered lots of pointless death, for no reason.

heckler06: its not a myth. we're a mammal of the average weight of 60-70 kilogrammes. we should exist in the numbers of around 100-200 million, even when populating the whole planet.
even half a billion = severe overpopulation.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2009, 9:54 am

Maybe just not having so many damn kids would be better. We should all do what China does. You know, humans have organized mass animal slaughter to control populations, which seems similar to engineering HIV. Do you know what a population crash is? That would be more tragic than AIDS. We're exeeding Earth's carrying capacity and destroying the planet and soon it cuold be the end of all of us.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2009, 10:01 am

Junior Hitler in the making.

I weep for you.