Are you 37 and look the same as you did in high school?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 2:05 am

I do.

I am looking on facebook at people from High School and barely recognize most of them.

I look the same as I did in high school. Weird. Definitely an AS thing.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 2:17 am

Ask a second opinion before you put on a tight polo and go walking to the mall.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 2:31 am

Yep...it's freaky..at least one kid I went to Jr. High with looks downright middle aged...I have the same taste in clothes and everything.

(except I am 33)

Fedaykin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jun 2009, 3:09 am

I think most people dream they would not look older at 37.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 3:24 am

37 isn't too bad.

Wait a few years until you look in the mirror and see your father!

Then you run into friends whom you haven't seen in years and they look like THEIR fathers.

Scary!

Irvy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jun 2009, 5:03 am

I'm almost 35, and people still ask if I'm just finished university. It does seem to be a common AS trait, and I've got used to the fact that I'll probably look like a student for a fair while yet.

Justin6378
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jun 2009, 5:58 am

Yes i'm 31 and often get asked to prove my age when buying beer or cigarettes so they must think i'm younger than 18!

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 6:37 am

As we all know research is just research until if ever becomes fact, any way I found this article interesting if not amusing and maybe the reason many on the autism spectrum do seem to look younger longer than most!

As we all know many seem to think, well lots of empty theories on the latest key word "Oxidative Stress" and not sure how it relates directly to autism if at all, but has been said autistic people have higher levels, but so do many other groups of individuals it seems, anyway autistic people often fussy eaters and think can be caused by diet among other things, like stress and that we all have to a point anxiety exposure, at odds with a world that half the time just do not get us.... anyway what ever the reason maybe "Oxidative Stress" plays a part - see article below:

And in fact there is up to date research:
The new study shows that exposure to oxidative stress may actually prolong life
- so thats why general autistic individuals look younger!

Submitted by Kathleen Blanchard RN on May 30th, 2009
Exposing the body to small amounts of oxidative stress may promote longevity according to the results of a new study. The findings are contrary to the widely held notion that consuming antioxidants delays the aging process and increases lifespan. New research shows that oxidative stress may be disease protective and lead to a longer life.

The research, led by Trey Ideker, PhD, chief of the Division of Genetics in the Department of Medicine at UC San Diego's School of Medicine found that human genes adapt to low-level exposure to oxidative stress caused by hydrogen peroxide – a major contributor to cellular oxidation. Ideker, along with Ryan Kelley, first author of the study, looked at how cells adapt to the stress of hydrogen peroxide by converting it to oxygen and water by pre-treating the cells with small amounts of hydrogen peroxide, then subjecting the cells to high doses. The process allowed the scientists to observe how cells adapt.

Next, the research team systematically removed genes to find out which ones adapted to oxidative stress, observing each gene’s response to oxidation. They discovered that a new process called Mga2 is essential for gene adaption, and only occurs when cells are exposed to low levels of oxidative stress. The researchers say that exposure to reactive oxygen species (ROS) seems to offer health benefits by protecting the body from acute exposure through adaptation. "It may be that adaption to oxidative stress is the main factor responsible for the lifespan-expanding effects of caloric restriction," said Ideker. Calorie restriction is shown to raise levels of ROS in recent studies.

Attempts to rid the body of free radicals from oxidative stress may actually be counterproductive for delaying the aging process. …”our study suggests why humans may actually be able to prolong the aging process by regularly exposing our bodies to minimal amounts of oxidants”, explains Dr. Ideker. The new study shows that exposure to oxidative stress may actually prolong life; contrary to popular belief that exposure to oxidative stress accelerates the aging process. Published in the May 2009 Issue of PLoS Genetics

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 7:18 am

No, I'm only 31, but else I guess it's right.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 8:08 am

Justin6378 wrote:
Yes i'm 31 and often get asked to prove my age when buying beer or cigarettes so they must think i'm younger than 18!

I get that too. As a woman, I guess I should be flattered.

mechanima
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 8:35 am

asplanet wrote:

The research, led by Trey Ideker, PhD, chief of the Division of Genetics in the Department of Medicine at UC San Diego's School of Medicine found that human genes adapt to low-level exposure to oxidative stress caused by hydrogen peroxide – a major contributor to cellular oxidation.

Or put another way...

Dying your hair may do a lot more than just "take out the greys".

I am 51, never even used moisturizer till about 2003, and it often STAGGERS me how, comparatively, old, people younger than me look...

It just happened...

Ah well, everybody deserves to be dealt a FEW good cards...
:wink:

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 9:33 am

I'm 31 and I still get the, "When do you graduate?" comments. Part of it is the way I dress and the fact that I carry a backpack around with me. My wife gets this, too.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 10:07 am

Yeah (27 though).

My twenties have been rough on me mentally and physically, but I still appear the same as I did in high school; same haircut, same skin tone, few lines/wrinkles, no more blemishes (except some scars).

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 11:15 am

I look about 30, maybe late 20s.

As far as appearance, I look much better now than I did in HS. I think if I went to a reunion a lot of those kids (errr... I guess they aren't kids anymore) would be shocked.

robo37
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 2:42 pm

I'm robo37 and I still go to high school. Does that count? :lol:

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 2:51 pm

I remember when I first started working, I met a guy who said, and I quote: "You look like you're, like, 12."

OK, maybe that wasn't a quote, but that was the age he used. He later said that it was probably closer to 14, and I think I still look about that age at 22. I know another person at college who looks really young as well, and he's an aspie.