Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 5:02 am

Someone vaguely familiar with AS provided some advice recently when I mentioned being reluctant to enter a bookshop. The shop is usually silent and empty, which results in the sales person's attention being too undivided. I don't like feeling watched, especially in a confined space; it makes me freeze up.

The advice was to say "Hello, I'm just browsing" upon entering. Apparently, reading between the lines that means "Hello, I mean you no harm and do not plan to shoplift" and that this is a communication strategy used all the time in everyday life to reassure others.

What I don't understand is why I have to always be reassuring others non-verbally that I mean no harm. Surely those who do mean harm would engage in such strategies anyway, to give others a false sense of security.

animal
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jun 2009, 5:19 am

Yeah I don't get that either, especially because I'm one of the least threatening-looking people in the universe. And I hate having to say hello to people, even people I know. I've figured out that if someone says hello to you then you're supposed to say hello back, and sometimes if they look at you for a while you're supposed to say hello too. I didn't know it was a safety thing, though.

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 5:43 am

animal wrote:
Yeah I don't get that either, especially because I'm one of the least threatening-looking people in the universe. And I hate having to say hello to people, even people I know. I've figured out that if someone says hello to you then you're supposed to say hello back, and sometimes if they look at you for a while you're supposed to say hello too. I didn't know it was a safety thing, though.

That's more a bonding thing, it determine how your relation is to each others. You recognice the otherone as a person.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 7:17 am

I know exactly what you mean. It is because I don't register on their 'face and body language' scale. I find going to upscale dress shops the absolute WORST because they want to become your best friend the moment you walk through the door and if you don't chitter chatter with whomever the staff presents theirselves to you . . .well you get followed around and continually watched. I find it is not so much we don't interpret their body/facial language, but it is that we have no clue what OUR body language says to them!

Merle

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 12:30 pm

I'm not sure what my body language says to others, but know it's not good. Even if I were to use the above script and state that I'm just browsing, I'd probably come off sounding suspicious as anything. :lol:

I've read how many with social anxiety disorder worry that sales assistants suspect they are about to shoplift. The advice would probably be something to the effect of challenging such automatic negative assumptions, yet I'm being told it's actually true. :lol:

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 3:34 pm

Quote:
The advice was to say "Hello, I'm just browsing" upon entering. Apparently, reading between the lines that means "Hello, I mean you no harm and do not plan to shoplift" and that this is a communication strategy used all the time in everyday life to reassure others.

Really? Holy cow, I didn't even think about that. I mean, I understand the whole phone greeting garbage and "how are you today" drivel, but I didn't think about stores and store clerks.

Thanks, outlier! I think I'll swing by a small store when I'm out today checking out Pioneer Courhouse Square.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 4:38 pm

ViperaAspis wrote:
Quote:

Really? Holy cow, I didn't even think about that. I mean, I understand the whole phone greeting garbage and "how are you today" drivel, but I didn't think about stores and store clerks.

Thanks, outlier! I think I'll swing by a small store when I'm out today checking out Pioneer Courhouse Square.

Mosey down to the Autism Day grouping there in corner across from the Starbucks from 2PM to around 5:00PM. Take pictures, take a tape recorder . :)

Merle

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 7:00 pm

I was waaaaaay too shy to interact with them. If they were NT it would have been no problem, but I know they could see right through all the shields I have up. It was scary! I thought of snapping a few photos, but I know that would have seemed really really odd.

Unfortunately, about 3/4 through my stay there (I hung out near them, but not with them) who should happen by but a large group of Japanese officials. One of them made me (Gaaah! Even though I'm sitting there in a hat AND mirrored shades) and came over to talk for a bit. After she left, I was pretty sure that one of the outlier guys in the ASAN group had figured out something was up with me. After all, I'd been sitting there for 45 minutes. I headed back to my condo after that...

I got a good feeling from the nice, slightly larger lady in the blue hat. She just seemed to radiate "friendliness" if that makes any sense at all.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 10:18 pm

ViperaAspis wrote:
I was waaaaaay too shy to interact with them. If they were NT it would have been no problem, but I know they could see right through all the shields I have up. It was scary! I thought of snapping a few photos, but I know that would have seemed really really odd.

Unfortunately, about 3/4 through my stay there (I hung out near them, but not with them) who should happen by but a large group of Japanese officials. One of them made me (Gaaah! Even though I'm sitting there in a hat AND mirrored shades) and came over to talk for a bit. After she left, I was pretty sure that one of the outlier guys in the ASAN group had figured out something was up with me. After all, I'd been sitting there for 45 minutes. I headed back to my condo after that...

I got a good feeling from the nice, slightly larger lady in the blue hat. She just seemed to radiate "friendliness" if that makes any sense at all.

oh, COOL! the Japanese 'officials' huh? Spotted you in the Aspie/Autie crowd! How utterly cool!
I see what you mean about taking pictures looking like the Sheriff in Cool Hand Luke.

I love Portland. . . :D

Merle

Chyndonax
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jun 2009, 11:02 pm

Taking kids helps, if you can. If your wearing a coat taking it off also helps since shoplifters often hide their goods in coats. Carrying around something too big to hide is another way to allay suspicion. Too big means you have to go through checkout, which cashiers think shoplifters don't do.

Gliesen_Antrho
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jun 2009, 6:55 am

I know taking off your hat/hood/helmet helps since it mkes your identity clearer to CCTV or anyone watching you. When I was younger I got accused once of shoplifting. (I didn't)

I think baggy clothes is part of the problem, since shoplfiters wear them to conceal things, an aspie might wear them for sensory issues. Which is an NT shop assitant going to think?

I was told that picking up a basket(even if your getting one thing) is good as it keeps it in the open

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 11:50 am

outlier wrote:
What I don't understand is why I have to always be reassuring others non-verbally that I mean no harm. Surely those who do mean harm would engage in such strategies anyway, to give others a false sense of security.

I think a lot of people must be very, very paranoid. I was told, quite insistently, that if I pass someone in the street, I should always greet them, saying, "Good morning," or so forth, because if I don't, it comes over as 'hostile'. I was frankly speechless. Is this true and do people really assume that just because a total stranger, who is simply walking calmly along minding their own business, doesn't happen to greet them personally, they must be 'hostile' towards them?

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 4:34 pm

Yes, it seems to be true in some places. Quite astonishing really. But, in large cities it's probably the opposite way round.

I can remember some other unwritten rules now related to conveying a benign impression. One therapist told me that wishing my old supervisor a nice weekend would let him know I didn't dislike him and that he hadn't done anything wrong to me. I tried it once and he seemed to appreciate it very much and become easier in my presence (at least for a while before he started to avoid me completely.) It also produces a drastic difference in another's behavior if you force yourself to meet their gaze sometimes and smile.

Hmmmn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2009, 8:19 pm

Yeah this really is a good idea since peope working in shops, especially quiet ones with high value easily concealed items, really keep a close eye on people coming in and leaving and if you seem shifty you'll be watched even closer. I used to work in a wine shop and we had to make a point of smiling saying hello and making eye contact every time someone came in, mainly for the good imression it creates but also to let the more dodgy looking people know we were watching them.

Hovis wrote:
Is this true and do people really assume that just because a total stranger, who is simply walking calmly along minding their own business, doesn't happen to greet them personally, they must be 'hostile' towards them?

Thing is they're not actually making any assumptions not consciously anyway, this is all hardwired subconscious instinctual stuff that happens in a split second without them even knowing they just get a 'feeling' or 'vibe' about you and it sticks, this why they say first impressions count. I'm not saying it's easy to take or anything just that they can't help the way they are any more than you can for example.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 12:04 am

^^ thank you, Hummm. . so often we forget that they can no more help being their way than we can help being our way. .

Merle