Often. 30%  30%  [ 12 ]
Occasionally. 43%  43%  [ 17 ]
Not much. 28%  28%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 40

Kris94
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jun 2009, 11:17 am

Im doing a poll to see how many people have had psychic experiences here...

Feel free to write yours and vote in the poll :P

TB
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 11:29 am

can you give more info on what you mean exactly ?.

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 11:37 am

I like how you managed to get all three answers "Yes". :lol:

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 11:43 am

It depends. If you want to go with an "ESP" (Extra Sensory Perception) experience, I think they can be quite common because I believe humans have a "psychic" side where we can sense things that is not observed with the physical senses. Perhaps it's a way to sense energy in its ebb and flow that our physical senses don't register.

However, I also believe a lot of "psychic" experiences is a matter of the subconscious mind bringing something up to the conscious level. The conscious mind only notices a fraction of all that we observe and process, and some people are more geared to listening to what the subconscious mind is trying to tell them.

If you know what to look for, it's fairly easy to know if someone is lying to you or being honest. You don't have to be able to read their thoughts...just recognize the subtle cues that indicate deceit.

I believe true psychic or prophetic experiences happen. I can't scientifically explain how those manage to happen.

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 12:56 pm

Depends on what you mean.

If seeing/hearing/sensing ghosts count, then, yeah I have.
Ditto for a few dreams of the future, dreams of past lives, bending a spoon with my mind/will/whatever once (was never able to do it again.).

If you mean things like reading others minds and telepathy, then no, I haven't had any experiences.

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 1:16 pm

This isn't exactly psychic, but I've been the "victim" of a clairvoyant. It's kind of freaky when someone who has just met you accurately describes:
- traits that you inherited from your father and mother (which ones from whom)
- places you keep things in your house
- that your wife will have trouble conceiving your first child, but that it will happen when it's time

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 1:42 pm

I have psychic experiences a lot. They come to me in dreams or visions.

mila_oblong
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jun 2009, 3:11 pm

I have them a lot, back when I was either 20 or 21, a handwriting analyst said that I had weak psychic abilities. She was right about that, as I have been known to smell a rat.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 3:26 pm

Well I have had a few moments with brain glitchs which have caused me to experience something which might be confused with a ghost. I saw something odd which made me jump, I looked a second time and I understood it was just a labcoat hanging in an odd place which looked from a distance like a ghost.

I am very glad that my labcoat does not come to life and attack me, that would be something just out of a horror film ! It might revenge on me for the times I have spilled nasty things on it, or stuffed leaky biros into the pockets.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 3:42 pm

ive seen ghosts had tons of spirit visits and ghostly visits. ive also had premonitions and had them happen. i've also had a lot of times actually where i say something or write down something and have it come true which is creepy but it happens a lot. I've also had that weird feeling something is going to happen and then have it happen. I've also had dreams that have come true. So yes psychic experiences yes.

Emma93
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jun 2009, 8:11 pm

I usually have dreams and then they usually come true the next day.

I usually guess things and then my guess comes true.

It's kinda freaky.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 9:40 pm

People claim I chill the air around me some how but I don't know how or if it counts

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 9:48 pm

You could definitely use a 'never' option in your poll. Psychic abilities, if they even exist, have nothing to do with autism.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 10:21 pm

sbcmetroguy wrote:
You could definitely use a 'never' option in your poll. Psychic abilities, if they even exist, have nothing to do with autism.

I agree a 'never' option is only fair. I only put 'not much' because there isn't a 'never.'

I'm not sure, however, if psychic abilities really have nothing to do with autism. It's possible that having sensory hypersensitivity opens up whole new worlds of perception that can't currently be explained by science.

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 10:57 pm

fiddlerpianist wrote:
It's possible that having sensory hypersensitivity opens up whole new worlds of perception that can't currently be explained by science.

You make a very good point; it's definitely a valid argument that I hadn't considered.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 11:01 pm

The most I can say for psychic experiences is that I used to get tons of "deja vu". A certain event would occur in my life that my consious mind was certain had never happened before, and yet somehow my subconsious would put up an argument that it HAD happened before, giving me an overwhelming sense of deja vu. Could be possible that as a child my subconsious had some degree of clairvoyancy, and would sense things that had yet to occur when my consious mind wasn't aware of it (i.e. when sleeping) and when I'd wake up, the memory of what I had seen would be sealed in my subconsious until the event I had sensed actuallly occured, at which point it would surface enough to make it seem that i had happened before. Weird, i know.

Also, I had this buddy of mine who lived across the street from my grandma's house in Maine. He claimed to be able to move small objects with his mind, and quite convincingly demonstrated it by moving around a small cone that went to a toy car set around his dresser. He told me I had similar powers, and told me to try it out. Amazingly enough, I was able to move the cone around, though not to the degree he could. The wierd thing about it was that once I left Maine to go back home, I was never able to do it again.

Also, something that came to mind just now... I had a meeting with my college advisor at the University of Wyoming the other day. It was me, my mom, and my little sister, and she had laid out cookies and drinks for us when we walked in. There were three drinks: a root beer, a diet Pepsi, and a bottled water. Here's the wierd part: I absolutely crave root beer, mom only drinks diet sodas, and my sis doesn't drink soda at all. Without knowing a thing about us, my advisor had laid out each of our favorite beverages.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.