A little 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Off and on 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I never got married (I want to see the results) 61%  61%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 51

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 10:39 pm

Wow...no one here has EVER been a major bridezilla? Dont worry...if I ever do get married I will definitly be the first. It's bound to happen to me I just know it. I can totally picture myself losing control with my family trying to control the whole aspect of the wedding (mostly my sister) while I have social anxiety about the massive amount of people I have to deal with standing infront of for a long period of time. It would be too much for me to handle. I get irritated just having to talk to anyone outside of my bedroom!

Which is why I spare myself the trouble of getting married at all. Ha!

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

10 Jul 2009, 9:18 am

Well, I don't make a very good b*tch.

I have always liked the idea of having a significant celebration, although I don't believe that means you have to spend vast amounts, and I don't believe it means you have to copy the 'done thing' that everyone else is doing at their weddings. And while I dress very casual and don't take much interest in looks 99% of the time, I adore big foofy floaty frocks. I'd love to have more excuses to wear one in a situation that wasn't jam-packed with boring people and expectations of social etiquette.

That all said...

My mother was a narcissist, and for narcissists it's all about THEM. She had to have a very simple wedding, because her dad didn't believe in forking out for weddings, and she was adamant that I wasn't going to have anything she never got. So that meant that for my first marriage, most of my choices got scuppered somehow or other - with the sole exception of the dress, which she was disgusted with but couldn't bully me into ditching because I'd paid for it myself. But she bullied me about everything else. I wanted 'modest sized and whatever we can afford'; she wanted 'as small and cheap as possible'; oddly, it ended up bigger than I'd envisaged, but cheap and tacky looking. I was such a bag of nerves trying to fix things, I lost about twenty pounds in a few weeks. I don't recommend it. I didn't have the confidence back then to argue with her.

Needless to say, I kept her well away from my second marriage plans. It helped that she had a blazing row with me on the phone the moment I said that we were thinking of having an 'alternative' ceremony. (To do this in the UK, you have to do the legal part first, and separately, if you want any spiritual content. Which we did.) She was You Do Things The Way I Did Or You Do Not Do Them At All. So I was just like...OK, you're going to cause trouble, I will not involve you. She b*tched on the day, sure (we had to seat her next to the minister, a lovely Unitarian guy who really didn't deserve her but who managed, I think, to stop her misbehaving too much), and I strongly suspect she told a lot of the family 'It's not a real wedding so don't bother coming'...but basically everything went a lot calmer.

So in answer to your question, I don't think I was much of a Bridezilla, but I experienced the wrath of MomofbrideZilla, and ask our best man...that can be a far scarier creature.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 9:58 am

I think for the most part, I was a pretty easy-going bride. I tried to get my fiance's input and everything because I wanted it to be his day too, it wasn't all about me. I did freak out a bit on the day of because I was doing all the setting up of the ceremony area all myself and I didn't have time to finish before my hair appointment but my mother-in-law helped me out and I was able to make it in time. It was a very stressful day.

It was a lot of fun though. I really liked seeing how it turned out and how everyone had a good time. I orchestrated the whole thing so it was satisfying to see it turn out well. And I was so pretty ^-^ I lov emy wedding dress. I should find another excuse to wear it.

Next time, I won't have a formal wedding but just an informal get-together with family and friends :)

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 10:09 am

:D Congratulations! I don't think I want to get married, at least not yet. But I could see myself possibly getting in a bit of a tizzy. (maybe not quite Bridezilla :lol: But who knows!)

JessicaDayla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2009, 11:19 am

my wedding when it comes will be interesting... My parents want nothing to do with my wedding apart from being invited, as they see it as a gay marriage no matter whether I marry a man or women. (I am pansexual, and don't care who I marry, as long as I am attracted to them)

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 11:41 am

To ThatRedHairedGrrl: Sorry if this is rude, but I don't really understand why it's wrong for your mother to control everything if she's paying for the wedding? Sure, its 'your day' and she should be considerate of your feelings but, imo, ultimately the final descision should be hers.

*shrug*

JessicaDayla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2009, 9:04 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
To ThatRedHairedGrrl: Sorry if this is rude, but I don't really understand why it's wrong for your mother to control everything if she's paying for the wedding? Sure, its 'your day' and she should be considerate of your feelings but, imo, ultimately the final descision should be hers.

*shrug*

Ummm... Its not her mother's day? Sounds like a good enough reason to me. :shrug:

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 9:38 pm

I don't get what's up with some of these girls who treat their man like crap because their all hysterical over their wedding....nothing is ever right.

Most of the females in my family didn't act like that and didn't have the money to afford such lavish weddings like some of the ubber rich gals I've seen. I knew a girl who was very well off and treated most of us like crap before inviting us to the wedding. I almost bailed out and when she wanted me to be one of her bridesmaid....I made excuses as to why I couldn't.

She was a lot like this gal....waa whaa whaaaaa....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR-fCezYxes[/youtube]

I swear I wanna flip the f*****g channel everytime I see this show.... :roll:

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 12:38 pm

I use that show as a how not to act for my kids and a whats not ok for someone to ask of you. We talk about what she did wroung and how she could have done what ever it was better. Also I use it to teach the it's more important to be pretty on the inside then the outside. Those girls drive me batty and I wonder whats wroung with the men willling to marry someone that horifingly mean and selfish.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 12:20 am

MissConstrue wrote:
I don't get what's up with some of these girls who treat their man like crap because their all hysterical over their wedding....nothing is ever right.

Most of the females in my family didn't act like that and didn't have the money to afford such lavish weddings like some of the ubber rich gals I've seen. I knew a girl who was very well off and treated most of us like crap before inviting us to the wedding. I almost bailed out and when she wanted me to be one of her bridesmaid....I made excuses as to why I couldn't.

She was a lot like this gal....waa whaa whaaaaa....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR-fCezYxes[/youtube]

I swear I wanna flip the f***ing channel everytime I see this show.... :roll:

:lol: 8O I pity the poor soul who married this one!

I got married a City Hall wearing jeans. Had an informal party with our best friends - no family - and it was such a relaxed, lovely day for both of us! :)

CrazyCatGirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2009, 6:03 pm

I haven't been married yet but I reckon I'd be the easiest bride to deal with considering that I don't want anymore than 20 or 30 people at my wedding or even better I'd rather elope or get married in secret :wink: and who ever said that I have to wear a friggin wedding dress that looks like a meringue or better still who said I had to wear a wedding dress at all?? and no wedding should cost more than $5000 at the most!!

Maybe I'll be the easiest girl to marry as I don't want much and I'd organise the wedding myself and do it the way the groom and I want it after all it would be my and my grooms day!

Overall weddings are overrated!

Selena :D

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 3:24 pm

^ Sounds a lot like me!! :D I planned the whole thing myself with as much input from my husband as possible, we had about 30 people there and it costed less than $5000 and the only reason we even had the damn thing at all was because my husband wanted it! I would have eloped :lol:

CrazyCatGirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jul 2009, 5:20 pm

I honestly don't see why there is such a big fuss over one day...the celebration of love should be between 2 people and not everyone else.

Doesn't everyone hate it when the families and friends try to butt in and organise the wedding????? :x

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 9:46 pm

Not yet :twisted:

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 1:33 am

I wasn't that bad, actually my ex-husband was a Groomzilla as he had major meltdowns if things didn't go his way. His narcissism is a major reason I ended up divorcing him 10 months later.