Quick and easy Executive Function Test

Page 12 of 14 [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

In one minute, how many animals can you think of that start with the letter "S"?
0-2 10%  10%  [ 101 ]
0-2 10%  10%  [ 101 ]
3-5 21%  21%  [ 215 ]
3-5 21%  21%  [ 215 ]
6-8 13%  13%  [ 135 ]
6-8 13%  13%  [ 135 ]
9-11 4%  4%  [ 40 ]
9-11 4%  4%  [ 40 ]
11-15 3%  3%  [ 33 ]
11-15 3%  3%  [ 33 ]
Total votes : 1048

IDontGetIt
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2011, 4:22 pm

Xyzzy wrote:
Yes, but how many animals can you think of that start with the letter π?

πthon. :D

Madao
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Sep 2011, 4:27 pm

I could only think of four: Snake, Salamander, Shark, Spider. Then my brain went blank. In the back of my mind I was like 'screw it I'll just google it'. xD

Xyzzy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2011, 5:13 pm

IDontGetIt wrote:
Xyzzy wrote:
Yes, but how many animals can you think of that start with the letter π?

πthon. :D

Nicely done. <bows before the master> :)

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2011, 5:48 pm

The time limit caused me to panic and all I came up with was zebra. 8O :?

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2011, 6:05 pm

You know, I've always been absolutely terrible at putting things into categories. I never know what genre of music a song falls under, and I'm guessing this is pretty similar... Anyway, I got: Seagull, spider, sparrow, stingray, and sloth... Then I figured either my time was up, or it was a lost cause to even try to think of any more. I didn't actually time myself though.

Conspicuous
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Sep 2011, 12:53 am

I got 5, but only because I counted Snorlax and Sarlacc.

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 2:58 pm

just 2 :o? i found snake and salmon LOL
i feel so stupid right now haha.

Aspie score: 182-200

Don't know what to say.

Xyzzy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2011, 5:18 pm

Conspicuous wrote:
I got 5, but only because I counted Snorlax and Sarlacc.

Squirtle, Skitty, Snorlax, Shinx, Sharpedo, Spearow, Starly, Staravia, Staraptor

OMG! If there was ever a sign that I needed therapy, that was it.

I never realized how much of this I was absorbing when my kid was watching and playing Pokemon. Though I suppose having them repeat their names 100 times per episode may have something to do with retention.

Ames76
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Sep 2011, 5:36 pm

2- snake and salamander. What makes this really sad, is that I have lots of Squirrels running around my front yard and I couldn't even think of that. :roll:

KathySilverstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2011, 2:25 am

I got three. But I don't really see what this has to do with executive function. It's more a test of memory and how well you think under pressure. The latter which I am not good at at all! I always hated timed tests. But Aspies do tend to like to categorize things.

Xyzzy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2011, 2:20 pm

KathySilverstein wrote:
I got three. But I don't really see what this has to do with executive function. It's more a test of memory and how well you think under pressure. The latter which I am not good at at all! I always hated timed tests. But Aspies do tend to like to categorize things.

I was wondering about that myself. I would think that if you were a scrabble player or other kind of "wordie", you'd excel at this (Apsie or not). It's a fun little exercise, but I'm not sure that it's testing anything other than your ability to spew out a list of related words. If you did it under an MRI, it would be a lot more telling. But, I'm not sure that it tells you anything just by looking at the results. (apart from the fact that you've probably never had to develop that skill for some other area of your life)

*edit*
On the topic of those "stereotypical" executive function warning signs, I blank out on phone numbers (including my own). I have trouble remembering my employee ID number (which I use almost every day), but I have all of my credit card numbers, drivers license, health insurance numbers, etc. at the tip of my tongue. So if someone looked at just my phone number retention, they'd say I was severely impaired. But if they looked only at my credit card number memory, I'd be on the upper end of the functional curve. (Oh...and in another classic EFT, I couldn't get both of these related thoughts out in a single post)

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jul 2012, 4:43 am

Xyzzy wrote:
KathySilverstein wrote:

I was wondering about that myself. I would think that if you were a scrabble player or other kind of "wordie", you'd excel at this (Apsie or not). It's a fun little exercise, but I'm not sure that it's testing anything other than your ability to spew out a list of related words. If you did it under an MRI, it would be a lot more telling. But, I'm not sure that it tells you anything just by looking at the results. (apart from the fact that you've probably never had to develop that skill for some other area of your life)

*edit*
On the topic of those "stereotypical" executive function warning signs, I blank out on phone numbers (including my own). I have trouble remembering my employee ID number (which I use almost every day), but I have all of my credit card numbers, drivers license, health insurance numbers, etc. at the tip of my tongue. So if someone looked at just my phone number retention, they'd say I was severely impaired. But if they looked only at my credit card number memory, I'd be on the upper end of the functional curve. (Oh...and in another classic EFT, I couldn't get both of these related thoughts out in a single post)

I got 4 then I started to faze out and stare blankly at the floor.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 4:47 am

Snake, snail, shark and sheep.

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 8:51 am

Salamander
Scorpion
Spider
Sloth
Stink bug
Scarab beetle

didnt think of any of the easy ones

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

Bunnynose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jul 2012, 9:53 am

Snake
Spider
Sheep
Shrimp

And then I couldn't stop staring at the red second hand moving toward the 1-minute mark on the clock.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 9:59 am

I got:
snake
seagull
skunk
sparrow
sloth
skink

can't believe i didn't think of the obvious ones like squirrel and shark!

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/