Sticky situtation I am in

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2006, 10:07 pm

I have a good chance of getting a full time casual job which can allow me to rent my own flat and get a car. However if the employers will allow it I will have to do my accounting studies part time and finish the course in 5 years instead of 2 ½ years. I was intending to study full time at university so I can join as many clubs and get into the social circuits of campus that would help me improve social skills and maturity. Also to get a highly paid job in the accounting industry in 2 to 2 1/2 years, but the job pays well $17.50 a hour and I could be working up to 35 hours a week.

I'm not sure on what I should do.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2006, 11:23 pm

I vote for not taking the job. Try to get a part-time job so you can finish school sooner rather than later. After all, the sooner you graduate the sooner you can start making more money!

GroovyDruid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2006, 2:03 am

newchum wrote:
I'm not sure on what I should do.

Funny thing about certainty--

Scientists observed the brain while people made decisions and made an astounding discovery: the brain makes decisions first and thinks about the decision after. The brain make the decision in a snap, and the throughts come after as a sort of justification of what the snap decision worked out. We don't perceive it that way, but that's what the brain does.

So you say you're not sure what you should do. Actually, you are. (Spooky, hm?)

But I hear you: "I'm glad my brain has decided. How do I access it, for Pete's sake?"

The problem is the thoughts that are swirling around in your head. They're locked up. Thoughts get locked in uncertainty because the brain has two competing certainties fighting each other. In this case, I'm presuming the two certainties are, "I should take this great job, get my own place, and have some wheels and cash," versus "I should get my butt in school full-time, join the campus life, and get going."

To zap the mental traffic jam, do something very silly: Sit and say aloud your own formulation of the two certainties that are at war. Say one for a while, then the other. Keep doing this for as long as it takes. Pretty soon, you'll start to laugh and feel a tremendous sense of relief. You won't worry about the decision any more after that. It will make itself, with you there to watch, pleased and certain. What happens is, by saying the certainties aloud, the mind somehow recognizes them as only thoughts, with no real influence over you. it short-circuits the power on these mental certainties and lets the decision come through. Try it. You'll see.

Fiddler
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2006, 3:00 am

GroovyDruid wrote:
To zap the mental traffic jam, do something very silly: Sit and say aloud your own formulation of the two certainties that are at war. Say one for a while, then the other. Keep doing this for as long as it takes. Pretty soon, you'll start to laugh and feel a tremendous sense of relief. You won't worry about the decision any more after that. It will make itself, with you there to watch, pleased and certain. What happens is, by saying the certainties aloud, the mind somehow recognizes them as only thoughts, with no real influence over you. it short-circuits the power on these mental certainties and lets the decision come through. Try it. You'll see.

Hmmm, I'll try that.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2006, 4:24 am

I don't recommend working full time and studying part time. Speaking from experience, it is very gruelling and you just don't want study to drag on THAT long. You won't have time to have any social life if you work full time and study part time - you're just too tired or you have to get up early.

Quote:
I was intending to study full time at university so I can join as many clubs and get into the social circuits of campus that would help me improve social skills and maturity. Also to get a highly paid job in the accounting industry in 2 to 2 1/2 years, but the job pays well $17.50 a hour and I could be working up to 35 hours a week.

uh yeah, university social life may not be all you hope, although it would be great experience. Also you have to look at what the degree costs, say $15-20,0000AUD and whether you are happy with that investment. Working makes you grow up real fast and it's social too, usually. Not knowing how strong your need is for financial indepence it's hard to advise.

It's a bit unclear exactly how many hours you are expected to work, and 17.50 isn't THAT great. Bunnings staff get 20 an hour.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2006, 5:03 pm

I hope things work out.

jman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2006, 7:14 pm

what exactly does this job entail?

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2006, 4:22 am

jman wrote:
what exactly does this job entail?

I did not get the job, they wanted somebody who could be able to do the full hours. Well back to looking for part time work again.

It entailed packing of DVD's and CD's, filing, computer work and burning of CD's and copying of Video tapes.