Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 5:08 pm

I am seriously considering going to live in a cabin in the woods and hunting and foraging, I bought a book on survival skills of California Indians and am going to read the whole thing. I want to pay off my debts and then buy a piece of land up in the foothills of northern California way up near Redding and just live off the land, since society doesn't want autistics around I think I will oblige them. Besides the economy is gonna collapse soon and all these stupid yuppies with their office jobs and all their fun toys that will no longer work when the blackouts happen will be selling their junk and then eating stray cats like what happened in Argentina in 2001, and I don't want to be around when they decide that autistic people are too much trouble to keep around. Have any of you done something like this before?

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 5:23 pm

What makes you so sure all that is going to happen?

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 5:58 pm

I think it's a very good idea. But you have to make sure you have access to health care should you ever need it. See my thread in the in-depth discussion forum: "Is this a good idea for an Aspie?"

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 6:10 pm

Yes, there are more needs in life than just food, shelter, and clothing. One book isn't going to teach you that. You're going to need serious experience before you even consider moving into the wilderness.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 6:16 pm

I'm into survivalism, and I assure you one book is just the start of what you need to know. However, if your interest is strong enough, try and network with other survivalists and live your dream.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 6:16 pm

Nope, I've often thought about it, maybe you could also read some Thoreau to prepare yourself.

wildgrape
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jun 2009, 6:35 pm

I live alone in the woods, and have no social contact with anybody. Basically, I withdrew from society about six years ago. Although I am fairly deep in the woods, I am close enough to civilization to shop for food once a week, and to have internet, TV and telephone. I talk to my kids, who live elsewhere, over the internet once every couple of weeks.

It is fun to collect mushrooms and pick berries, but I wouldn't want to rely on hunting/gathering for my sustenance. By the way, I once had a very successful career and have saved enough money to meet my basic needs for the rest of my days.

The silence/sound of the woods is, to me, sublime, and I find nature very beautiful. However, I now think that withdrawing is not such a good idea. I had no history of depression, but over the winter was somewhat depressed. Now that I have abandoned all my friends and business connections, re-entering society will be difficult. I am thinking of doing just that though, albeit in a very limited way.

obnoxiously-me
Raven
Raven

28 Jun 2009, 6:35 pm

There are a lot of people who do this kind of thing here in Alaska.

Land here is cheap, but so it is other places in the united states.

Perhaps you could try a thing in between for like 6 months? I lived for some years in the woods without running water, and it was lovely. But must admit I enjoyed the access to electricity.

It was very peaceful, and some day I hope to again live like that.

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2009, 6:37 pm

was that book Moira's wasteland suvival guide by any chanc, wonder if anyone gets that reference

And noyou should not live in the woods, have you tried killing ananimal before peopl in forests have it as an art form, you'll die and please don't die I am guessing todays topics are fantasy there are too many run away threads its very illogical

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2009, 6:44 pm

I'd go crazy... I don't like talking to people... but being isolated from them would make me paranoid...
I guess I'm not as big a fan on isolation as I thought... I actually think I'd kill my self o.O.
Obviously, though, there are other Aspies that seem to be going fine... 'cept the food.
EMZ=P

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2009, 6:48 pm

Emor wrote:
I'd go crazy... I don't like talking to people... but being isolated from them would make me paranoid...
I guess I'm not as big a fan on isolation as I thought... I actually think I'd kill my self o.O.
Obviously, though, there are other Aspies that seem to be going fine... 'cept the food.
EMZ=P

agreed I don't like people but isolation is just beyond the level it starts as a honeymoon period and then you do actually go crazy because everyone needs at least doses of human interaction or it deludes the brain then they go crazy

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 7:26 pm

I like it out in the woods where I live. We have 29 acres. We are having a lot of others moving out here as well, so I guess the same things is on other people's mind as well.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 7:38 pm

life in the woods sounds lovely. the cost of land, though, could be an issue. if it were me, i'd want to have enough land so that if suburbia or a industrial complex or something was planned for nearby land after i'd moved away that i'd have a large buffer between me and them.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 8:17 pm

That is why we have 29 acres. We have a little niche carved out in the middle.

wildgrape
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jun 2009, 9:14 pm

I live in a nature preserve, so there will be no development. I consider the whole park/preserve my back yard. Pretty hard to duplicate, unfortunately.

bdubs
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jun 2009, 9:17 pm

pezar wrote:
I am seriously considering going to live in a cabin in the woods and hunting and foraging, I bought a book on survival skills of California Indians and am going to read the whole thing. I want to pay off my debts and then buy a piece of land up in the foothills of northern California way up near Redding and just live off the land, since society doesn't want autistics around I think I will oblige them. Besides the economy is gonna collapse soon and all these stupid yuppies with their office jobs and all their fun toys that will no longer work when the blackouts happen will be selling their junk and then eating stray cats like what happened in Argentina in 2001, and I don't want to be around when they decide that autistic people are too much trouble to keep around. Have any of you done something like this before?

Dude everyone on here is right you need some contact with people, I wanted to do the same thing expect in Northern Oregon. I recommend reading Into the Wild the movie is good also.