Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

magic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2006, 4:38 pm

I have found an interview with Vernon L. Smith, an aspie and a winner of 2002 Nobel Prize in Economics. (This is not news, it aired on NBC nearly a year ago; and was already discussed on our board.) What struck me was that Smith's wife said that he was never able to answer questions such "What are you feeling?" or "What are you thinking?". That would suggest lack of introspection. I had read that "theory of mind" deficit may not only mean the inability to "read" other people's feelings and thoughts, but also problems with introspection into one's own mind. I observe the same problem with my girlfriend Hilary: she is never able to say what she is thinking or feeling at the moment when I ask her. In contrast, I find introspection very easy. My thinking is like watching a movie, which I can easily replay, and this way introspect my thought processes. With feelings it works similarly, but somewhat less reliably (to be specific: feelings resulting from my thinking are easy to introspect, but "external" feelings, that come out seemingly of nowhere, are sometimes difficult to recognize.)

The question: Do you have or lack an introspection?

Direct link to the interview with Vernon L. Smith:
http://www.autismspeaks.org/media/commu ... 5_256k.wmv

Link to page with other recordings (warning: many present curebie attitudes):
http://www.autismspeaks.org/video/index.php

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2006, 4:42 pm

I'm almost never sure of what emotion I'm feeling, which is why I'm almost always externally neutral.

magic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2006, 4:52 pm

What about thoughts? My thoughts are always visual and record in memory as vividly as anything that happens around me (if it gets recorded at all, that is). Could lack of introspection be caused by a deficit of short-term memory [wild speculation]?

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2006, 5:00 pm

I can think for hours, but my short term memory is awful when it comes to thoughts. I was referring mainly to emotional retrospect, I can't tell you what I'm feeling right now. Why? Because I honestly have no idea what emotion I have.