Ridiculed and insulted by complete strangers in the street?

Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 7:20 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
unchainedaura wrote:
I get this sort of thing a lot, have been assaulted by strangers over 30 times to date. Imbeciles like these really irritate me . I think they target me as I'm fairly unlikely to ever hit another human being so make an easy mark. Been getting that since I was 10, I also get threatened and insulted a LOT. Guess we do something unintentional that irratates violent morons.

Er, maybe you should take some self-defense classes...

HUH?!?!?!? Unless he acted aggressive and OFFENSIVE, and developed a reputation, how could that help?

Justin6378,

That happened in ENGLAND? When you were about 30!?!? Happily, that kind of treatment of me was rare, and stopped around when I was 16 or so. My flinching was because I want to avoid people, and NOT out of fear or being startled.

As for the insults, etc...? Even one of the idiot jerks effectively told me I seemed like an easy target.

BTW I WAS twice on a plane and the idiot that lucked out and got the isle seat took a VERY offensive posture. If we were kids, I probably would have attacked them. It is interesting that they seemed to want to fight me, LITERALLY! That is RARE though! It has happened THREE times in the past 10 years, and ZERO times in the ten years preceeding that.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 8:11 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Maggiedoll wrote:
unchainedaura wrote:
I get this sort of thing a lot, have been assaulted by strangers over 30 times to date. Imbeciles like these really irritate me . I think they target me as I'm fairly unlikely to ever hit another human being so make an easy mark. Been getting that since I was 10, I also get threatened and insulted a LOT. Guess we do something unintentional that irratates violent morons.

HUH?!?!?!? Unless he acted aggressive and OFFENSIVE, and developed a reputation, how could that help?

Since when is assault not aggressive and offensive??

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 8:16 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
What the heck???? Nothing like this has ever happened to me that I am aware of (I tend to pay very little attention to people, though so...)

Why are people so mean??? 8O I don't understand why someone would do that...

Because they're mentally challenged herd animals. Thuggish intimidation is entertaining for them because their mental capacity is too low to derive a sense of self-worth from anything else. They may not even be sentient beings with the capability to form independent thoughts. You could probably assume they're not much different from a piece of scrap metal you might stub your toe on, then curse at and throw off a bridge for being such a nuisance.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

01 Jul 2009, 8:54 pm

When I'm walking somewhere by myself complete strangers often say things like..."Hey, you girl"...from the other side of the street and then when I look, they laugh. Either that or they drive past me and beep really loud just to see me jump. A few times I've had people whistle at me but even though it's really annoying, apparently it's a compliment. :?
I don't know why this always happens to me but I try to not take too much notice of it anymore. It used to make me really angry.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 9:34 pm

thats terrible justin, cant believe ppl do that, no most ppl actually walk out of way and try to avoid me or jus smile at me, idk guess i seem that my behaviors are unpredictable idk so its best to jus leave me be, or i get smiled at cuz i act like im 2, and am tiny who knows. either way thats jus wrong, sorry u had to endure that, ppl can be so cruel!

Hmmmn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2009, 9:37 pm

I used to get this kind of thing when I was younger but don't anymore, what changed is my posture and the way I hold myself. I also stopped taking s**t from people when it was dished out, just stand up for yourself you'll get it wrong and look like a dick sometimes but it's worth it for the times you get it spot on and the other person looks like a dick, feels great!

If this happens to you a lot you owe it to yourself to start exercising and learn how to defend yourself, those two things can make you look less of a target which is what matters and it can be very subtle, no need to be a body building ninja just a need to stand up straight. For people who've been souchng their whole lives standing up straight isn't actully easy which is why the exercise is necessary, google some posture muscle exercises or look into yoga which is excellent all round.

Learn to use peripheral vision so as to avoid eye contact with people in the street you don't like the look of but want to keep an eye on. Don't walk by potential trouble looking at the ground, look drectly in front of you with head high and shouders back.

When recieving abuse from distance or a moving vehicle learn to raise you hand and flip that middle finger when it's someone closer and you don't fear them physically harming you tell them to go f**k themselves and smile if you want to confuse them.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 10:07 pm

People don't usually make fun of me as I am very tall. Then again, I used to get it a lot more when my hair was big and curly and that wasn't the style. Now it is, though... funny how that works. :)

Just last week some jacka-- verbally assaulted me for ignoring him. I actually posted about it here to get some opinions if I was the rude one somehow. The unanimous agreement was that he was the jacka--.

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 10:14 pm

This used to happen to me, mostly when I was younger. The worst was when I was in high school riding on my bike. A convertible passed by me and one of the occupants threw something at me. It was enough to knock me over into some bushes. I picked it up and it turned out to be a piece of metal pipe wrapped in a rag. I also remember them laughing as they drove away. Fortunately the only injuries I sustained were a few scrapes.

The last time it happened was a few years ago. I was probably 29 or 30. I was walking down the street. A car drove by and I felt something brush against my leg; it was the plastic lid to some kind of small container. I thought the car just blew some street debris past me. Well, something didn't feel quite right. I went into a nearby McDonald's restroom and I found my back covered in what I hope was marinara sauce all the way down my leg. There were a couple of police officers eating dinner there so I told them about it and gave them a description. They said it was assault. The best part was one of the officers telling me, "If you run into them later, feel free to beat the crap out of them." That made me smile. :) I knew he wasn't serious, but secretly hoped he wasn't. :twisted:

Most of the time though I put off what someone once referred to as a don't-f**k-with-me vibe, so it's not really an ongoing issue.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 10:23 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
Maggiedoll wrote:
unchainedaura wrote:

Since when is assault not aggressive and offensive??

I was talking about JUSTIN!! !!

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 10:29 pm

It used to happen to me a lot. I learned that staring expressionlessly at people when they try that sort of thing will make them back down (and often apologise) in most cases. It lets them know that their attempt at intimidation has failed (even if you are intimidated, if you don't act like you are, they won't know that you are).

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 2:36 am

That sucks :( I sometimes hear people talking behind my back and i pick up a few words(i have a hard time hearing people talk over other noise, so i usually don't pick up much), and i get the impression that they're likely making fun of me or something. I don't know. I think someone might be more likely to make fun of me for my outward appearance(appearing kind of gender ambiguous) than for anything related to AS... Even if i do sometimes get a little confused about things people say. But i think the amount of piercings i have keep people from feeling all that comfortable about actually teasing me face-to-face most of the time :roll: I think most people think twice about messing with someone who has a 10 gauge ring through the middle of their nose :lol:

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 3:09 am

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
Quote:
The thing is, incidents like this send me into a near homicidal frenzy, as I had to deal with sh** like that all through high school

Exactly the same here, for the same reason.

I had someone make a derisive noise at me in the street, and I swear I just wanted to run after him, pound him into the ground, kick him in the face repeatedly, take his pants down, and rape him with some object.

I have so much rage in me I think it borders on a disorder...
secondet

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 3:10 am

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
Quote:
The thing is, incidents like this send me into a near homicidal frenzy, as I had to deal with sh** like that all through high school

Exactly the same here, for the same reason.

I had someone make a derisive noise at me in the street, and I swear I just wanted to run after him, pound him into the ground, kick him in the face repeatedly, take his pants down, and rape him with some object.

I have so much rage in me I think it borders on a disorder...
secondet though i dont have much rage in me its just these fa***ts just asking to be assaulted by spyco aspie :lol:

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 3:49 am

I think these attacks are mostly opportunistic and could be based on anything or even nothing at all about the target. There's little that can be done to prevent them. People sometimes yell out of open windows or spit as they drive by, for example, when all you are doing is minding your own business. That type doesn't have a particular target in mind.

ignisfatuus wrote:
Quote:
I think you are in the age range and gender of those they tend to target.

How's that? I don't see a male in his 30's as being a prime target. Maybe the alone part.

It's a guess, going by reports from my brothers and cousins who are around that age (20s/30s). I almost never hear of their fathers experiencing such things when they are out. My father has a bizarre appearance and very rarely gets bothered; the worst he's had in years is "Jesus", for having long hair, and "Darth Vader", for his bicycle cape and mask.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 4:12 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
I learned that staring expressionlessly at people when they try that sort of thing will make them back down (and often apologise) in most cases.

Staring has its dangers, too.

I have had random people physically attack me. Someone suddenly hit me to my face for no apparent reason couple of months ago. I have once been threatened with a gun pointed towards me.

Now that I am know about AS, it begins to make sense. My first couple of years at school, the teacher kept yelling at me to look her into eyes when she was addressing me. It was then, I guess, when I started to make eye-contact. I learned to "unfocus" my eyes, so that it was easier to make eye-contact.

But it just dawned to me, that I am constantly sending aggressive singnals with my "staring." Thus, I am getting those violent responsens.

I'll have to practise "unlearning" my eye-contact.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 4:22 am

Someone once tried to hit me in the face as they were passing by while crossing the street. I wasn't looking at them or making eye-contact; I just saw their arm and dodged. It was very random. They were male, late teens/twenties, and with friends. Those are the only type that attack me.