Page 1 of 18 [ 279 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 7:25 am

I, personally have a neutral opinion of her. I do not like or dislike her.
But it still somewhat irks me that people make so many hateful comments about her.

Soo... I would like to know the good reasons behind these hateful comments.
I tried to do some research about this hate, but all I got was dumb reasons like:

"Her kids have wierd names."
"She married her high-school sweetheart."
"She won a beauty pageant."
"She has very little experience." (When Obama had less experience than she does.)

Without resorting to personal attacks on her or her family, please state educated and well-supported reasons why she should not work in politics.

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 8:23 am

She is evil personified.

She would have abortion outlawed. She is homophobic. She supports the teaching of creationism in public schools.

And I vaguely remember hearing something about her believing Africa to be a country...do you want someone that thick to be in a position of authority?

y es como un semestre"

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 8:52 am

Thank you for your input.

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
She would have abortion outlawed.

Hmm, I do understand that reason would be cause for conflict with Pro-Choice groups. I am also Pro-choice.
However, I also understand the viewpoints of Pro-Lifers. It's a very divisive topic, for sure.

Quote:
She is homophobic.

Please post a reputable link supporting this statement.

Quote:
She supports the teaching of creationism in public schools.

Please post a reputable link supporting this statement. Although I have heard of this, I still want to read it from a credible source.

Quote:
And I vaguely remember hearing something about her believing Africa to be a country

That is a pretty large mistake to make! :lol:
I'm sure she was promptly corrected after the incident as well. Everyone makes mistakes. Now, if someone were to make the same mistake repeatedly,then I would be worried.

Quote:
...do you want someone that [epithet] to be in a position of authority?

Like I said before, I have a neutral opinion of her at this point.

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 10:26 am

She's a right wing extremist. I don't know where to find the links but she definitely doesn't believe evolution true - and wants abortion illegal even in cases of rape/incest or where it could endanger the health - but not life - of the mother. Basically she's a female version of George W Bush.

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 10:36 am

Ahh, I see. That would be very detrimental to our society.

I do not believe Creationism should be taught in public schools. That's what religious private schools and churches are for! :roll:
Separation of church and state...

If she were to be placed into a high position of power, the Women's Rights movement would move backwards, basically.
It would turn into an even more male-dominated society than it already is.

In my opinion, that's not very good at all... :(

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 10:47 am

Oh and, she recently backed down from her governor position, she still stays in function until the 25th of July though.

Oh yeah, did we mention she likes guns? <.< I pesonnally don't like trigger happy people. -.-

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 10:59 am

Like George W. Bush before her, when her beliefs are questioned she will answer with something that resembles word salad. It's as if she has been given beliefs by a third party and has just decided that they must be true. I see no evidence of independant thinking when it comes to important issues, and intellectually she seems deficient. It's not that i dislike her, she might actually be a nice person, but people like her should not be in positions of power.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 11:02 am

Third party : Republicans ;P

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 11:11 am

phil777 wrote:
Oh yeah, did we mention she likes guns? <.< I pesonnally don't like trigger happy people. -.-

Please clarify what you mean by this statement. The way you have it worded, it could mean anything. :?

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 11:23 am

Well, she's a pro NRA (National Rifle association) person, or have you not seen the hundreds of pictures with her handling a gun? Just googling Palin should give you oodles of pictures to choose from.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 11:25 am

Some reasons I can think of:

1. She's a right-wing Republican (which I guess wouldn't matter too much if you are a right-wing Republican)
2. I think it's still safe to say that women in politics are taken less seriously than men
3. She became a sort of Quayle-like figure after the Katie Couric interview
4. She may be seen by some as a cynical choice on behalf of McCain, who passed on higher-profile candidates for a woman
5. Troopergate (there may be yet more scandals in the wake of her resignation, so watch out)

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 11:33 am

I personally didn't vote for her, but ironically I shook her hand a few years ago when I got off the plane (I didn't know it at the time). She has her oddball views and I can't vote for someone with those views. But she went to bat for the 172nd stryker brigade (stationed out of fairbanks alaska at the time), they were extended past their 12 month tour and she did everything she could to bring them home at the 15 month line (we could've stayed 18 months), she also has a very friendly personality, but keep in mind I'm a lonely guy and any attractive woman who does something considerate for me goes up a notch in my book.

She's also very resiliant to criticism, have you noticed that she isn't losing her optimism just because the world is laughing at her, leaders who dod that change in better ways. Too bad she stepped down as the alaska governor though, I don't think she's going to get far in another state.

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 11:36 am

She also doesn't believe global warming to be true.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 11:41 am

CleverKitten wrote:
I, personally have a neutral opinion of her. I do not like or dislike her.
But it still somewhat irks me that people make so many hateful comments about her.
Soo... I would like to know the good reasons behind these hateful comments.
I tried to do some research about this hate, but all I got was dumb reasons like:

"Her kids have wierd names."
"She married her high-school sweetheart."
"She won a beauty pageant."
"She has very little experience." (When Obama had less experience than she does.)

Without resorting to personal attacks on her or her family, please state educated and well-supported reasons why she should not work in politics.

Well, I would say that a large part of it could be that her public "persona" was that she was, basically, "trailer trash with a new coat of nail polish and a wardrobe someone else picked for her". I'm not talking about her appearance here, either. She was seen as being of "the wrong class" (and yes, class-ism is alive and well in the USA) for the job. Every time she opened her mouth she reinforced that, from what I got from listening to the people around me talking about her.

She doesn't appear to be particularly highly educated or politically savvy, to my eyes. In my book, that's a strike against her. I want the best and the brightest, and the most highly educated person in the hot seat. At least if they have the "highly educated" card I know they are intellectually capable. Whether or not they're politically capable or have the leadership potential... that's another issue altogether. If a candidate has a long history of leadership and capable management, and appears to be savvy enough politically to handle international issues while juggling internal ones, that would balance out the educational card. Joe Biden had that, as did McCain. If all the candidates were on a level playing field, it would come down to the real issues on the table. But the field was not level. In my mind, "issues" are secondary. "Competency" in a leader is of the first order in importance. It was their second-in-command arrangements that tipped my vote.

I was close to voting for McCain, myself, although I was pretty sure Obama was going to win based on things other than his expertise. It was pretty much a toss-up, which one I was going to vote for, though. They both had some very strong points. There were things that were important to me that both of them said that I agreed with, and there were "gut feelings" about both of them that disturbed me.

In Obama's campaign, for instance, the mantra-like "CHANGE" campaign that they promoted, without the substance of how the change would take place, what it would cost, what outcomes were expected... I found that disturbing. It was bumper-sticker-think, it gave people something to grab onto without thinking any further than the one word. It appealed, I think, to a lot of people who didn't like the existing arrangement, but didn't know what do do other than vote for Obama to say "I vote for anything other than as the status quo stands." I was not comfortable with that. I prefer to know the plan in advance. His whole campaign strategy really left me with a bad feeling, even with Joe Biden there to soften that.

Then McCain named Ms. Palin as his running mate. To me, it was like a bad joke - he picked the only woman he could find who could be seen by the masses as remotely qualified because he needed a woman on the ticket to balance out the minority issue. She had neither the intellectual firepower nor a long and successful career working in the machine of mainstream national politics. In effect, she was the political equivalent of "a trophy wife." I was horrenously insulted that someone would pick a women for a running mate for anything other than her professional abilities - it slams us (women) back about 50 years in our bid for real equality in this country. Once I read much about her and saw her speak, I recoiled in such horror at the though that McCain could have died in office (he had, what a 2 out of 5 chance of keeling over, given his age?) and she would become President of the world's largest superpower.... eeeeee, no. I have a responsibility to the rest of the world, not only my fellow citizens.

My vote went over to Obama/Biden right there, as the only viable alternative.

Does that help?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 1:24 pm

I was really disappointed with Palin's performance in the elections, I'd read a profile of her a few months previously and she looked really good on paper. At that time she was being viewed as a possible 2012 candidate based on her reformist credentials and very un-GOP like taking on of the oil companies, among other things. I of course was drawn to her hunting background, support of her troops, and the fact that she wasn't a professional politician. I don't know if she was simply dumped onto the national scene too early without a few more years of polishing and learning so she just came off as dumb, or if she's actually like that and just somehow stumbled her way into the Alaska governorship. Either way, I don't think that all the flak she get's is deserved or rational, she just happens to push a lot of buttons for certain reactionary types that tend to respond emotionally. I don't know that I'd currently vote for her in a presidential race, but I think I could support her if she ran for congress, especially if she ran against a Democrat.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 1:53 pm

I sometimes wonder if it is a bit fashionable to dislike her.