Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 5:18 am

Oh god. I would never move back in with my parents, I do my own laundry/shopping/cooking and I'm proud.

As for the 28 year old man that lives there rent free and won't clean his room? - :roll:

No, I want to be a grown up.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 4:25 pm

I lived on my grandparents' property in a travel trailer from 1998 to 2005. That wasn't so bad, my grandfather treated me as an adult and let me do my own thing. My dating life that I had was cut off since I couldn't bring women home because my grandpa didn't have property insurance, but other than that it was ok. Then my parents built a house and built a little cottage for me. We all moved in in June 2005. It's like being semi-independent, I do my own laundry and cook my own food (and fill my own gas tank), but my mom notices if I take a long trip (not too long, just being gone the whole day) and gets worried. I have to do it because SSI isn't enough for rent, but I don't like it. It's not like moving back into my old room (that house was sold and ultimately became a rental). I have a separate place. My parents knock before entering. But still, they're around.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 7:54 pm

There's going to be a lot more of this happening in the coming years...

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 9:57 pm

I'd rather dig my own eye out with a spoon then live with my mother again, but you'd have to meet my mother to understand why.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jul 2009, 6:05 pm

I don't have a parent to move back in with. My mother, who is very ill, is living with my younger brother. My father has passed away. :?

Hmmmn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2009, 2:38 am

I moved back in with my mother after an illness and other strangeness, I was supposed to be recovering my health both mental and physical but it's been easily the worst years of my life and both have just got worse. Almost complete (self inflicted I suppose) emasculation, luckily what remains was enough to get me out of that situation. Avoid at all costs!

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 12:44 pm

Before commenting on the article:

I realized this morning that I have never, ever, rented an apartment. Weird, isn't it? But I was in a sorority in college, and then moved back home after college, originally just for a short while, but then my dad convinced me I may as well live with them until I had a downpayment for a house.

So I saved what would have been rent money and bought a condo a few years down the road.

Strictly financial.

With regards to the article:

I think what made it work was that (a) my parents realized I was an adult and (b) I realized it was their house, and that I needed to be respectful of their wishes. We had all made a choice, and part of that choice was learning how to make the arrangement pleasant and comfortable for everyone, using entirely new parameters for how we dealt with each other. It's not that easy to do; I know we all really talked it out before it was set.