Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Psiri
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jul 2009, 5:04 pm

In April this year the UK department of health launched a consultation aimed at improving social care etc. for autistic adults. I don't know if anyone here has heard of this. All adults with ASD's are invited to contribute as are parents of autistic people. It ends 15th September.

The document is available here LINK

Here's the first page:

Quote:
Ministerial foreword

I am delighted to open this consultation on the first government strategy to support adults with autistic spectrum conditions (ASC) to live life as full and equal citizens. The strategy is our plan for how we will run services in the future.
The consultation is a vital part of a government project to improve the lives of adults with an ASC, their families and carers and the professionals who work with them.
At the end of 2009, we will produce our final strategy for delivering:
• better support for commissioners and other professionals who work with and support adults with an ASC

research into how many people have an ASC

research into how people with an ASC cope with the transition from adolescence to becoming an adult, and
• clear links with other parts of government that affect adults with an ASC.
I will make sure that the final strategy has the power to make sure that change really does happen.
Adults with an ASC, and their families, face a great many barriers in their everyday lives and in getting the services and support that they need.
ASCs are often overlooked or misunderstood by professionals and by society. For instance, we know that:

adults with an ASC can struggle to access health and social care services

very few adults with an ASC have long-term jobs that they enjoy, and

adults with an ASC find it hard to access community services such as transport and housing.
We know that many things must change to make life better for adults with an ASC. We want this consultation to help us to have a better understanding of what the challenges are and what can be done to make change happen.
Adults with an ASC do not always get the right support. But there are lots of examples of where the right advice and support has really improved a person’s
quality of life and well-being.
Support is not just about health and social care; it’s also about identifying all the things that a person may want or need to life their life to the full. This is why our consultation is looking at employment, education and social inclusion, as well as at health and social care.

Please give me some feedback on this. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that I'll find myself on a committee about this (shiiit! :? ) so all ideas are very welcome.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 5:38 pm

I had heard of this before, and have been surprised that I haven't heard more about it here and on other forums, to be honest. I think it to be supported and as many people as possible should contribute.

However, you should note that this applies only to England, as Health is a devolved issue. I'm in Scotland, so it doesn't apply to me.