Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 1:57 am

skafather84 wrote:
Sand wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Sand wrote:
RageBeoulve wrote:
MDD123 wrote:
People wonder why I hate Donald Rumsfeld, it was his "Principal over commen sense" philosophy, or better yet, his illogical hatred for people working under him, even Bush had to replace him because of his gross mismanagment of the DOD and that's saying something.

People wonder why I hate Bill Clinton.

Clinton was (is) a fake liberal who supervised the demolish of the regulation of the financial institutions to result in the current robbery by the banks and insurance companies of huge amounts of public money. He also screwed up the cultural buffer for deprived people which helped them get by in tough times, one of Ronald Reagan's favorite targets. And of course, there was the killing of thousands of Iraq babies through his sanctions and his desertion of the African massacre in Rwanda. I don't wonder.

All the "liberals" we've had have been pretty much fake liberals and our policies haven't really changed at all in the past 40 years. Cosmetic differences, but no substantial change on any front. Barry is the same way and he'll be a fake little pseudo-liberal who'll spend like crazy for the corporations (see: healthcare plan and just how much it benefits the insurance industry).

I assume by Barry you mean Obama and not Goldwater. I'm with you on that one. Now if we can only get through this business of being five dimensional ...

Religious freedom. I've allowed myself a little insanity recently.In essence, I'm just embracing some irrationality to foster my creative side a bit more and to see a world beyond what we see as existing.

And yes, I mean Obama....he officially engraved himself on me as Barry when he didn't have Funkadelic play Chocolate City at his inauguration party. Or at least get Bad Brains to play since they were the quintessential black rock band from Washington DC.

This is way the hell off topic but a five dimensional universe implies multiple time paths and I can see how that can be connected to probability but (and this is no place to discuss this) as we are firmly solidified into a unified being in four dimensions there is no reason that we are not also a very peculiar five(or perhaps more) dimensional creature moving in all the paths simultaneously.
And this is very unsubstantiated speculation.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 11:05 am

To bring us back to the topic:

http://blog.ted.com/2007/09/steven_pinker.php

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 11:55 am

pandabear wrote:

The talk on empathy and decrease of violence strikes me as peculiar in reference to your disdain for modern soldiers in another thread for their lack of willingness to accept extreme violence.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 12:28 pm

Sand wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Sand wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Sand wrote:
RageBeoulve wrote:
MDD123 wrote:
People wonder why I hate Donald Rumsfeld, it was his "Principal over commen sense" philosophy, or better yet, his illogical hatred for people working under him, even Bush had to replace him because of his gross mismanagment of the DOD and that's saying something.

People wonder why I hate Bill Clinton.

Clinton was (is) a fake liberal who supervised the demolish of the regulation of the financial institutions to result in the current robbery by the banks and insurance companies of huge amounts of public money. He also screwed up the cultural buffer for deprived people which helped them get by in tough times, one of Ronald Reagan's favorite targets. And of course, there was the killing of thousands of Iraq babies through his sanctions and his desertion of the African massacre in Rwanda. I don't wonder.

All the "liberals" we've had have been pretty much fake liberals and our policies haven't really changed at all in the past 40 years. Cosmetic differences, but no substantial change on any front. Barry is the same way and he'll be a fake little pseudo-liberal who'll spend like crazy for the corporations (see: healthcare plan and just how much it benefits the insurance industry).

I assume by Barry you mean Obama and not Goldwater. I'm with you on that one. Now if we can only get through this business of being five dimensional ...

Religious freedom. I've allowed myself a little insanity recently.In essence, I'm just embracing some irrationality to foster my creative side a bit more and to see a world beyond what we see as existing.

And yes, I mean Obama....he officially engraved himself on me as Barry when he didn't have Funkadelic play Chocolate City at his inauguration party. Or at least get Bad Brains to play since they were the quintessential black rock band from Washington DC.

This is way the hell off topic but a five dimensional universe implies multiple time paths and I can see how that can be connected to probability but (and this is no place to discuss this) as we are firmly solidified into a unified being in four dimensions there is no reason that we are not also a very peculiar five(or perhaps more) dimensional creature moving in all the paths simultaneously.
And this is very unsubstantiated speculation.

It may be better if we took this series of responses to the Eternal Recurrence thread or maybe the Beliefs thread. Dunno which...surprise me! .....and let me know too.

Of course there are multiple time paths. It fits the Shroedinger's Cat theory. There may be millions of time paths where the cat dies but maybe one singular one that for, some reason or another, the cat survives. Again, it's probability. It also fits the idea of multiple universes (each one being manifested of a divergence in probability within the time path).You have more chance of being struck by lightning 3 times than winning the lottery here in America but it's still won. And while i describe it as philosophical dimensions, I wouldn't be surprised if elements of that philosophy show up in M-theory's 11 dimensions with 2 for time and the remaining 3 for probability (again, complete baloney, I know but figured I may as well take my own shot at the lottery...doesn't hurt being wrong...only means you learn something new).

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 12:32 pm

Sand wrote:
pandabear wrote:

The talk on empathy and decrease of violence strikes me as peculiar in reference to your disdain for modern soldiers in another thread for their lack of willingness to accept extreme violence.

A lot of people can talk empathy but it's a lot harder to actual use it frequently enough in practice to be considered a part of daily habit. I'm trying to work on getting it up to be daily habit and I've had some success but it's certainly not an easy habit to pick up...especially when all of the input around you pulls you out of that.

Practicing a little ego death every now and again helps, though. But it's not an easy process and not easy on the psyche.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 6:51 pm

What on Earth (this Earth, anyway) does the Multiple Worlds hypothesis of quantum physics have to do with either the number of dimensions our universe is comprised of, or the question of whether gays should be allowed to openly serve in the US military?

(Although I will take a moment to point out that no matter how many dimensions there are, whether string theory's 7 to 11, skafather's five, or the dimensions of Hibbert space [which has as many dimensions as one happens to need to solve a particular problem], we are only equipped to perceive three dimensions directly, and one indirectly. If there are more than that, it's kind of neat, but unless there's some way to exploit them in a practical fashion, it doesn't matter, because they can't affect us anyway, nor we them.)

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 8:21 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
What on Earth (this Earth, anyway) does the Multiple Worlds hypothesis of quantum physics have to do with either the number of dimensions our universe is comprised of, or the question of whether gays should be allowed to openly serve in the US military?

LOL. What happened here?
Quote:
(Although I will take a moment to point out that no matter how many dimensions there are, whether string theory's 7 to 11, skafather's five, or the dimensions of Hibbert space [which has as many dimensions as one happens to need to solve a particular problem], we are only equipped to perceive three dimensions directly, and one indirectly. If there are more than that, it's kind of neat, but unless there's some way to exploit them in a practical fashion, it doesn't matter, because they can't affect us anyway, nor we them.)

I'm not sure what a Hibbert Space is, but a Hilbert Space can have quite a few dimensions. It's a crying shame really how few dimensions we perceive. This 3-d colorspace just isn't enough; I need uber eyes to get the full picture man. :cyclopsani:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 8:37 pm

twoshots wrote:
I'm not sure what a Hibbert Space is, but a Hilbert Space can have quite a few dimensions. It's a crying shame really how few dimensions we perceive. This 3-d colorspace just isn't enough; I need uber eyes to get the full picture man. :cyclopsani:

He probably meant to say Hilbert Space.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert_space

ruveyn

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 8:38 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:

a discussion from another thread that carried over between us. apologies all 'round.

gays are still frowned upon by the military...but that isn't much of a surprise considering that the military isn't exactly the best or brights of society most of the time.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 8:46 pm

I guess the military comes out even here - did a lot a couple years ahead of the rest of society to promote equal racial rights, but seems to be lagging a couple years behind on gay rights.

Can't be perfect all the time.
But then, who is it that is defining 'perfect'??????????????????

Ah, didn't have sources for the military racial equality thing handy, just found this googling;
Racial Equality: Military vs. Civilian Life

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 9:06 pm

skafather84 wrote:
...but that isn't much of a surprise considering that the military isn't exactly the best or brights of society most of the time.
Hi. I’m Spider Jerusalem. I smoke. I take drugs. I drink. I wash every six weeks. I masturbate constantly and fling my steaming poison semen down from my window into your hair and food. I’m a rich and respected columnist for a major metropolitan newspaper

That attitude from a 20-something with a signature as obscene as yours is no surprise.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 9:41 pm

southwestforests wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
...but that isn't much of a surprise considering that the military isn't exactly the best or brights of society most of the time.
Hi. I’m Spider Jerusalem. I smoke. I take drugs. I drink. I wash every six weeks. I masturbate constantly and fling my steaming poison semen down from my window into your hair and food. I’m a rich and respected columnist for a major metropolitan newspaper

That attitude from a 20-something with a signature as obscene as yours is no surprise.

Suckling the government teat for a living isn't a thing to be proud of. Subjugating yourself to a government's will isn't a thing to proud of either.

In fact, the only thing to be proud of in the whole thing is the myth of war and heroism that is simply that: myth. Soldiers are paid killers for their country's robber barons and that's about it.

/World War II is the last time we had a "defensive" war.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 9:50 pm

skafather84 wrote:
In fact, the only thing to be proud of in the whole thing is the myth of war and heroism that is simply that: myth. Soldiers are paid killers for their country's robber barons and that's about it.

Given what I've seen of you so far, that statement is also no surprise.
Even though I've never been in the military, and never desired to, I am quite offended by your words and not at all impressed.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 9:59 pm

southwestforests wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

Also, last I checked, the military are far more obscene and the crackers use much more racist language. I know the nicknames for the covers and the jokes told between branches and all the perverse jokes they tell each other.

My impressions of the military have come from direct interaction and experience. Not from some "liberal media". It's either the dregs who can't function without such strict structure enforced on them or the small-minded "straight arrows" who are slightly more intelligent robots/domesticated animals...sometimes intelligent men and women brainwashed by those myths of heroism and superiority.

Last thing I read from one of my military acquaintances:

"The important thing is that civilians are in the bottom rung- practically fetuses waiting to be retro-aborted."

Real class act.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 10:08 pm

skafather84 wrote:
It's either the dregs who can't function without such strict structure enforced on them or the small-minded "straight arrows" who are slightly more intelligent robots/domesticated animals...sometimes intelligent men and women brainwashed by those myths of heroism and superiority.

This kind of denigration is usually, not always, but usually, indicative of gross immaturity.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 10:20 pm

southwestforests wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
It's either the dregs who can't function without such strict structure enforced on them or the small-minded "straight arrows" who are slightly more intelligent robots/domesticated animals...sometimes intelligent men and women brainwashed by those myths of heroism and superiority.

This kind of denigration is usually, not always, but usually, indicative of gross immaturity.

In some aspects, yes. Normally people are smarter than to point this out...it ruins the illusion. Much like explaining how and why the lie detector doesn't work ruins the illusion the machine creates that allows it to work (it's more theatrics and psychology than it is hard science and measurements). To that extent, yes...very immature. Applaud them "good for you, you did what you were told after going through months of brainwashing"...normally I'm much more polite about it in person but some of these guys have been getting under my craw lately with their superiority complex and being a massive, racist, ignorant jackass isn't a crime so I'm venting here. Apologies for that. I realize that humans are still humans....just this particular brand gets annoying for their loud lack of awareness.