Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

hybrid
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jan 2006, 6:29 pm

...but do they also know why the mirror neurons aren't working?

Also, is it possible for myself to find out how bad it is in my case, that is, how much of my own mirror neurons are working or not working?

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 2:45 am

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow ... 4/i01.html

As suggested by the video in the link, to experience first hand, mirror neurons in action, one should go to a local bar on Sunday afternoon and watch sports.

Anyway, this, like many other things from my impression can fitted on a sliding scale. Anywho, I don't get worked up too much at sports, where as my old man will swear at the game on the radio when someone does something he dosen't like.

So if you yell at sports on TV, your motor neuron system is fully operational.

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2006, 6:22 am

That clip of about 14 mins was mostly upbeat but i did see the statement in Heathly brains implying indirectly not have this work or not very well means you are less human or unhealthly or i am reading too much into that statement ? I can have emtions bought on indirecting from a sad or happy movie or reading about something aweful like about wars or nasty happening but very rarly any sports. And yes i would too like to by percent how much does work in AS and HFA .

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 10:13 am

It'd be nice to know if I even have mirror neurons. this goes into good detail.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 3:01 pm

Are mirror neurons simply used to work out what other people might be thinking or how they might react to a hypothetical situation? I think I've got whatever neurological circuitry that does that, at least. I still have a lot of problems knowing what to say or do in the moment.

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Jan 2006, 1:09 pm

What i understood from that mirror neuron thing is that with them, you can learn a new way to move your body just by looking at someone else doing it. Example: i learned to throw a ball by looking at how others do it. So i take the ball in my hand and move my arm back and forth but the ball didn't go far.....? For many years i was told that i throw balls like if i was using my left hand (i'm right handed). I look at myself in a mirror and while i notice that it doesn't look good, i couldn't come up with exactly what was wrong? One day, in grade 5, the teacher took my arm in his arm and made the movement. I started to throw balls very well after that.....

When doing a movement with your body you have that mini-video-clip in your head of the movement just prior to it. Your body will do exactly what you visualize. If your viusualization is not good, your movement will not be good. The mirror neurons are the ones that will give you the right visualization for a movement just by seeing it in others.

When i see someone dancing, i see in my head the image of that person dancing (what we see from an external point of view). I don't have the visualization of how the movement must be felt from the inside so i can reproduce it (with accuray). It seems that the NTs have that. They will feel internally the movement they see like if they were doing it themselves or like if they were inside the person doing the movement. With those neurons one will not only see other's movement but automatically have in thier head the same visualization the other person had prior to thier movement (even if you never did that movement before). This is really a perception, a 7th sense if you will.... a sense we don't have.

Liorda
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jan 2006, 4:18 pm

coyote wrote:
What i understood from that mirror neuron thing is that with them, you can learn a new way to move your body just by looking at someone else doing it. Example: i learned to throw a ball by looking at how others do it. So i take the ball in my hand and move my arm back and forth but the ball didn't go far.....? For many years i was told that i throw balls like if i was using my left hand (i'm right handed). I look at myself in a mirror and while i notice that it doesn't look good, i couldn't come up with exactly what was wrong? One day, in grade 5, the teacher took my arm in his arm and made the movement. I started to throw balls very well after that.....

When doing a movement with your body you have that mini-video-clip in your head of the movement just prior to it. Your body will do exactly what you visualize. If your viusualization is not good, your movement will not be good. The mirror neurons are the ones that will give you the right visualization for a movement just by seeing it in others.

When i see someone dancing, i see in my head the image of that person dancing (what we see from an external point of view). I don't have the visualization of how the movement must be felt from the inside so i can reproduce it (with accuray). It seems that the NTs have that. They will feel internally the movement they see like if they were doing it themselves or like if they were inside the person doing the movement. With those neurons one will not only see other's movement but automatically have in thier head the same visualization the other person had prior to thier movement (even if you never did that movement before). This is really a perception, a 7th sense if you will.... a sense we don't have.

OMG!! ! Lightbulb moment!! !

I can't dance to save my life. I took lessons as a kid and my kids tried to teach me. I can slow dance but I have to "think" what I'm doing. I am pretty sure 2 of my 3 kids are aspie but all 3 love to dance. Hmmmmmmm....... I have trouble talking and dancing!! ! :oops: