Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

SarasDad
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Aug 2009, 5:49 pm

Claradoon wrote:
You ask for suggestions for buttons etc. Here's a situation that comes up a lot. I get hassled while walking my dog. To the point that I dread it, sometimes I want to die when I get back, and sometimes I throw chairs.

Case in point: two large men following me and dog, making laughing snorting noises, and when I glance back, one of them sticks his hand down the front of his pants and yells something about not being used to ... (whatever). When I look away, he stops. Then start the routine again. This happens 3 times. Then I cross the street with dog (really shaken) and the guy yells Sorry to spoil your sidewalk!

To make the story short, I happened to see them enter the Mall Warehouse through the truck entrance. Ergo, they work for the mall. Ergo, I must have looked weird again.

So ... *maybe* ... not that I'm going to let them close enough to read my button - but what if I had something bigger? And what could it say? I don't want to go the confrontational route.

Any ideas?

I don't think a button is going to help you with Bad people...and the truth is we all deal with or avoid them everyday. I have a bad n

I have a bad neighbor and sometimes I don't want to go out in my own yard...it's not worth the aggravation. They are people at work that are hard to deal with and we also have teenagers running the streets at night just looking for someone to screw with...A button is not going to help with any of this.

But I don't agree with jumping in someone's face to settle a score, two wrongs are not going to make things right. And in some cases it only gets worse.

I wouldn't confront someone alone, bring a friend. I Don't go looking for a fight I try to educate, I don't meet somewhere isolated... I do it where there are people... I stay calm and I walk away if it gets ugly.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Aug 2009, 6:10 pm

But I think this is harassment by the Mall, clearing weirdos away from their territory. This is the sort of thing the button helped with, in one of their stores (the grocery store).

It took a lot of courage to try the button in the first place. Now I'm thinking of a bigger version, maybe on the back of a T-shirt?

I don't think I'm dealing with rotten people; I'm dealing with security employees at the mall who have their "profiles" of people who should be urged (harassed) to go away. That's a whole different situation - getting in their face - even if I was Arnold Schwarzenegger - would not accomplish anything. But maybe removing myself from their "profile" would. Maybe that's what the button does.

They say that to the extent that you try to do anything (anything at all) to help yourself, you are that much less likely to be traumatized by whatever the problem is. I would like to do something about these encounters. At least to try.

SarasDad
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Aug 2009, 6:33 pm

No company is going to instruct a person stick his hand down the front of his pants and yells something...at you.

If they are doing that while working and representing a company both them and the company can get in trouble. Unless I do not understand the situation is sounds like a bad person, bully, punk…trash.

If their not a bad person I don’t think a t-shirt is going to help and if you’re thinking about walking up to them, what about handing them a card with simple information about being on the spectrum.

Parent’s who children have been just diagnosed use the cards to help them get through situations…

You could search the web for samples and then make some that fits your situation.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Aug 2009, 10:11 pm

Alraune144 wrote:
Don't take their sh*t...next time get in their face about it...most people are all bark...the moment you jumped they knew they could do it again...there not going to fight you in public...

Yes, I jumped and they knew they could do it again. But confronting them could escalate to violence - it would only take a moment for those huge young men to beat me up for the hell of it - I don't have muscles, I have marshmallows... That's if they are bad guys. If they are bouncers from the mall, that would be different. I'm picturing being in their face - their faces are about a foot higher than mine. 8O

Alraune144
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Aug 2009, 11:33 am

Claradoon wrote:
Alraune144 wrote:
Don't take their sh*t...next time get in their face about it...most people are all bark...the moment you jumped they knew they could do it again...there not going to fight you in public...

Yes, I jumped and they knew they could do it again. But confronting them could escalate to violence - it would only take a moment for those huge young men to beat me up for the hell of it - I don't have muscles, I have marshmallows... That's if they are bad guys. If they are bouncers from the mall, that would be different. I'm picturing being in their face - their faces are about a foot higher than mine. 8O

I'm not a mound of muscle...people don't just attack you...most don't anyway...once you show them you aren't easy pickings they will find a new version of you to pick on...till then they will keep f*****g with you bc you won't cause a scene...you'll just crawl away...its not about actually fighting...its about proving to someone you are willing...

I've been exiled, persecuted, left alone with no defense...

SarasDad
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Aug 2009, 7:48 pm

Alraune144 wrote:
Claradoon wrote:
Alraune144 wrote:

I'm not a mound of muscle...people don't just attack you...most don't anyway...once you show them you aren't easy pickings they will find a new version of you to pick on...till then they will keep f***ing with you bc you won't cause a scene...you'll just crawl away...its not about actually fighting...its about proving to someone you are willing...

You may be right when they are alone...but when a person is with a friend or friends, the rules change. power in numbers, they don't want to look bad in front of thier friends or they have gone to far, said to much to back down. We see it everynight when we turn on the TV.

So if your telling a person who walks alone to stand up to big men and things don't go as you say, then what?

I would never say cower and run, I am big guy and as I said, I would never confront them alone, I would try to find away to make it so both sides win or at least so I don't lose...

If the men are acting as stated while working (on the clock) you may have more options. If you're not good at explaining or verbalizing your concerns, bring someone who can help you out.

If this area is not a safe place to walk find another place...this is not a person being on the spectrum (I'm not sure what term is politically correct) problem...we all deal with bullies, punks, jerks...

I would suggest, find a safe way to deal with the problem or move on...and ask your self is it worth getting hurt or worse to prove a point.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Aug 2009, 8:32 pm

SarasDad wrote:
No company is going to instruct a person stick his hand down the front of his pants and yells something...at you..

I believe they would. It's a form of intimidation. And the more extreme the behaviour, the more likely they would be to use it, since I have not much credibility to start with.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Aug 2009, 8:38 pm

SarasDad wrote:
If the men are acting as stated while working (on the clock) you may have more options. If you're not good at explaining or verbalizing your concerns, bring someone who can help you out.

I'm isolated - in fact, I'm trying to avoid people.

SarasDad wrote:
If this area is not a safe place to walk find another place...

It's as safe as any other within a ten mile radius - the other side of the street is residential.

SarasDad wrote:
I would suggest, find a safe way to deal with the problem or move on...and ask your self is it worth getting hurt or worse to prove a point.

Yes, I think this thread has exhausted its usefulness, let's end it, and thanks to all for your input! :)